• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Eye candy, 3D style !!!

MOIDANGEREUX

Civilian
Reaction score
Eye candy, 3D style

New techniques put reasons to go to the movies right in front of your nose
June 23, 2006
BY HEATHER NEWMAN
FREE PRESS GAMES WRITER

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060623/NEWS09/606230335/1011/BUSINESS

Good things come in threes. Three dimensions, that is.
Movies, TV shows, video games and DVDs are increasing their 3D footage.
But it's not the 3D your parents and grandparents watched in the '50s with those red-and-blue cardboard glasses.
Sophisticated techniques turn animated and live-action footage into three-dimensional images, as in "Superman Returns," which opens June 28, and James Cameron's upcoming epic "Battle Angel."
"Home theater systems are becoming more advanced," said Ron Bartsch, projection manager for The Henry Ford IMAX Theatre, explaining the popularity of 3D projects. "But 3D gives people something people can't come close to duplicating in their home."
Take "The Polar Express," he said. It was disappointing in normal release -- but has become one of the most popular IMAX 3D presentations of all time, coming back this year for its third encore in Detroit.
How it works
In IMAX theatres with 3D capability, two projectors create double images six stories tall and eight stories wide. Each print is slightly different; one contains the image for the left eye, the other for the right. The projectors have polarized lenses, as do the slightly shaded glasses that moviegoers wear. The images are each only visible to the correct eye, thanks to the lenses and the glasses. The result, as translated by the brain, is a truly three-dimensional look.
IMAX just completed a system that will allow live action movies that are shot in two dimensions, like "Superman," to be converted to 3D. They weren't given the "Superman" print in time to do the whole film, Bartsch said, which is why only about 20 minutes were converted (movie director, Brian Singer, picked the scenes).
Industry reports suggest that "Poseidon" may make an appearance in IMAX 3D, along with the upcoming animated movies "Monster House," "The Ant Bully" and "Happy Feet."
"Chicken Little" and "Spy Kids 3D" created a similar look using digital projection that had the polarization built in.
Video games
Video games have also gotten into the act -- last year's "Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves" built in 3D footage, and Konami released the first-ever game for the PlayStation Portable this year to include 3D, "Metal Gear Acid 2."
"If Solid Snake points a gun at you, it really looks 3D," said Wilson Cheng, product manager for the game. He said the developers were inspired by 3D movies they saw as kids. "Things look like they have more depth. Our team thought it was a fun idea -- it's never been done on the PSP. They really wanted to get it out of the box, to make it more interesting."
To play, you use an attachment for the PSP that looks like a black cardboard box. It has the lenses built in.
Projects in the works
Loews and Regal Cinemas are using Real D, a digital 3D system that was used to play "Chicken Little." "Monster House" will be out on Real D in July. (Local theaters that have Real D include MJR theaters in Sterling Heights, Southgate, Waterford Township and Brighton and the Star Great Lakes 25.)
Some projects in the planning phase are even more ambitious. "Godzilla 3D" is in the planning phase as a Japanese film targeted for theaters here. "Star Wars" makes its 3D debut next year, most likely. "Battle Angel," which is based on an anime comic book, was originally scheduled for 2007 and may be pushed back to 2009.
"A few years ago, I started down this path of creating this 3D camera system, and once I started working in that, I couldn't imagine myself going back and shooting with the camera I used before," director James Cameron told ComingSoon.net. He said he deliberately delayed the film to allow more theaters to catch up with the technology to display it -- it will be a digital 3D title.
"Barbie and the Magic Pegasus" and "The Adventures of Shark Boy and Lava Girl in 3D" made their 3D debut on DVD. And even "Medium," the TV show, got into the third dimension with a special broadcast last fall.
"People are thinking, 'Why should I spent $20 to go to the theater?' " Bartsch said. "You can't do 3D in your house."

Battle Angel ALITA (GUNNM)

Known as "Gunnm" in Japan, this comic was my debut series. It was published serially from winter 1990 until spring 1995, in Shueisha's "Business Jump" magazine.
After many years of trial and error, I finally succeeded in creating a story that combined an introspective cyborg theme with the concept of surviving in an apocalyptic world.
Battle Angel Alita has been a very big success for me. Besides Japanese, it has been published in English, French, German, Spanish, Italian, Chinese (Cantonese and Taiwanese), Korean, and Thai.
Compared to my other works, Battle Angel Alita is very unique.
There are 2 completely different underlying themes in the series. The "darkness mode" refers to the to dark side of life, and the "glory mode" refers to the goodness of human nature. To succeed in showing this contrast, I created characters who strove for humanity in a dark world.
Someday, I would like work on Battle Angel Alita again... maybe an extra story or something like that.

Yukito Kishiro

STORY

Tiphares, the gigantic and mysterious mid-air city, covers the sky. Underneath, junkies and cyborgs live in the ruined city known as the "Scrap Yard".
Within the giant pile of ruble cast off from the city in the sky, begins the
story of a girl.

One day in the Scrap Yard, and ex-Tipherean citizen and cybernetic doctor named "Ido" finds the partially destroyed body of a young cyborg girl. He names her "Alita".
Even after being restored by Ido, Alita has no memory, so she fights to recover her true self that is hidden somewhere inside her body.
While helping Ido against a powerful enemy, Alita's ability to use the "Panzer Kunst", a long lost fighting technique, returns...

By fighting through various encounters in this sci-fi action epic, the cyborg girl, Alita, grows as a human being.

i saw medium 3d on tv..... it was funny..LOL!!

The only 3d thing I have ever seen was a 5 minute demo in my senior year of highschool back in 1999. It was quite neat to see. There is an IMAX near me but they do not have 3d showings. I would love to see a blockbuster movie in 3d such as Superman. I would however want to see the 2d version first as not to be distracted while I see it for the first time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"