Fan edit

C. Lee

Superherohype Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Recently....I started reading about and watching some fan edits of movies. For those unclear on the term....it simply means that someone (a fan) will edit an existing movie into something other than it was. In the past....I have done simple things like transfer multiple action scenes to one tape just for the fun of it. I have also daydreamed (as I am pretty sure many on here do) of how I would have made this or that movie better by adding something here or taking out something there.

Then I started reading about what some people are doing with movies these days. Now....the things I read are being done by people with greater computer skills than I....but they sounded like fun ideas. Some of the things I read that people are doing is way beyond my capabilities (such as changing music, dialogue, digitally removing or adding things, etc...) but I got to thinking....is there something I can do?

I always liked Ang Lee's version of the Hulk. I didn't consider it the best adaptation possible...but I didn't consider it total crap like many others did. It was adult and thought provoking....but too long and slow (boring) to most people. My wife, family, and friends all refuse to watch it again. So.....I thought, why not try and edit it down some.

I took out all of Nolte, all of young Bruce, the Hulk dogs (hard to explain them without Nolte, and the scene was pretty dark anyway), all references said by people about David Banner currently running around.

I rearranged a couple of scenes. Now, instead of Bruce's first transformation being brought on by repressed memories attempting to surface....he is leaving his office and encounters the poodle, that almost bites him....he then stresses out and Hulks out.

The next rearrangement is....after he beats up Talbot and originally leaps off to save Betty, it now fades in to Hulk showing up in San Francisco. This entire sequence (except for the hallucination of Bruce seeing Hulk in the mirror as he falls from the jet) is shown up till he and Betty are in each other's arms.

Then it goes back to where Ross is transporting him in the helicopters to the desert base. I cut out a reference to him saving Betty from a "mutant poodle"....and I completely cut the scenes where Bruce and Betty go topside to the delapidated town.

It then goes to Talbot cattle prodding him and putting him into the water tank....with a small removal of Bruce flashing back to his childhood. It then shows Bruce Hulk out, escape the base, removes a few seconds of Hulk flashing back to his childhood at his old home, and then continues until the copters bring the rock sliide down on him with their missles.

I then went to the end scene starting with the title card "...ONE YEAR LATER" and played it out to the end.

This brought the movie down to 1 hour and 2 minutes. My wife likes the new edit (believe me, if she didn't, she wouldn't hesitate to let me know)...I'm sending a copy to some friends to see what they think of it.

Has anyone else here tried anything like this?

i thought of trying something like this but never actually got around to it, why not upload your version on some website, i'd like to take a look at it

i thought of trying something like this but never actually got around to it, why not upload your version on some website, i'd like to take a look at it

I'm technically deprived when it comes to computers. Not sure how to do that.

I like the idea of removing most of the scenes detailed above. One suggestion, would be to leave in a few of the flashbacks, and maybe shorten them, to leave the viewers pondering the Hulk's past and childhood. Then it wouldn't be completely dumbed down, but still a popcorn action flick.

With what I cut out...people will still ponder his past. Ross talks about the "terrible" things his father did and how it could have effected him.....he and Betty talk about his parents dying when he was young and how he doesn't know how it happened.....he goes by the last name Krinzler and then Ross comes in and says "So, this is the young Banner.....I mean Krinzler."

I will think about adding back young Bruce and his mother gardening....to tie that into the desert plants that Bruce and Hulk like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"