• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Fantasy dc eic!, you choose the creative teams!

Millar's got a tone and timbre to his writing and his characters' voices that I just can't stand. I can't describe it, I cant really replicate it, but after all these years I know it when I hear it and just can't stand it. I was just looking at that Marvel Knights Spider-Man scene with Electro (for research on gaiety, if you must know) and I was like, hey, is this written by Millar? This is totally irritating me like Millar does. Lo and behold, it was written by Millar.

It's not just one thing, it's a combination of several. Like...people calling other people "kid" or "kiddo" or "son" too many times or, really, just an overabundance of colloquial titles. And people keep saying "God in heaven!" or "God almighty!" Oh, and...in the middle of a conversation, characters will all of a sudden describe an event that barely has anything to do with what they've been talking about but just somehow ties in peripherally, and this random "FYI" will serve to make the character seem "cooler" somehow.

I dunno. Like I said, I can't describe it. But still...
nbcthemoreyouknowx.jpg

Anyway...don't really have too many opinions on artists, but...

Supergirl by Peter David. Obviously.
Wonder Woman by Greg Rucka. Obviously.
Checkmate by Rucka and Trautmann. Obviously.
Gotham Central by Rucka and Brubaker. Obviously.
Kyle Rayner and Wally West books by Grant Morrison. Doug Mahnke and Mark Bagley on art respectively.
Batgirl and All Star Comics (second Wonder Woman series) by Gail Simone.
Booster Gold and The Power of Shazam by Geoff Johns.
Hawkman and Aquaman by Peter Tomasi.
Green Arrow/Black Canary by Chuck Dixon.
Batman by Fabian Niceaza.
Zatanna by Paul Dini.
The All Newer Atom and Teen Titans by John Rogers and Rafaele Albuquerque.
Justice League of America by Kurt Busiek.
Justice Society of America by Brad Meltzer
Manhunter by Joss Whedon.

Gail Simone has shown me nothing in regards to Wonder Woman. Her run isn't bad, but it isn't good either.

I'd still want to see Millar's Superman.

Anyway,

Superman- Stranczynski/Chirs Weston
Action Comics- Morrison/Seth Fisher :csad:/Doug Mahnke
Batman-Jason Aaron/Alex Maleev
Detective Comics-David Hine/Frazer Irving
Doom Patrol- Mike Allred
Kirbyverse book- Joe Casey/Tom Scioli
Aquaman- Geoff Johns/Ethan Van Sciver-Imagine a world where Aquaman is a top 10 seller
Checkmate- Greg Rucka/ J.H. Williams III
Justice League-Matt Fraction/Frank Quitely
Green Lantern- DnA/J.G. Jones

i would choose editors for characters and their titles, who would aid in plotting story arcs and choose the creative teams to bring said plans to fruition:

grant morrison- editor of all batman titles and JLA
geoff johns- editor of GL titles and Superman titles
greg rucka- editor on flash and wonder woman titles

What exactly has Grant Morrison done to warrant all this lovefest for him on Batman?

I found it to be one of the best, interesting, and refreshing take on the Batman mythos while other want to burn effigies of Morrison because. His recent superhero work has been very polarizing.

What exactly has Grant Morrison done to warrant all this lovefest for him on Batman?

because he's been doing cool and fun things with the character rather than maintaining a status quo where nothing ever changes.

Change for the sake of change is not cool or fun.

But it wasn't change for the sake of change. It was more of a change of tone for the book. It was a unique look at Batman that just didn't have him running around acting like an alienating *****ebag and beating up random mobster. Like Marvel said Morrison was doing fun and interesting things with Batman.

Oddly enough, this was inspired by a comment Millar said in a random interveiw I was reading.

it wasnt change for the sake of change, as i found the story behind it all quite well executed, engaging, and fun. if the story behind the "change" holds up, then im cool with it. but if its just shock value change with a weak story behind it, thats when i'll take issue with it.

i remember in an interview with alan moore he was asked whats the least favorite story he's written. to my surprise, he said the killing joke. but his reason for it was, in the end, nothing changed, and that made the story pointless. and theres some truth to that. while constant change and relentless progression with these characters and stories would be not good, the status quo does need shaken up from time to time, it needs to be challenged and kept on its toes. morrison did that with batman. i think he did it with great passion and understanding of the characters in an all around quality story. and that gains my respect.

it wasnt change for the sake of change, as i found the story behind it all quite well executed, engaging, and fun. if the story behind the "change" holds up, then im cool with it. but if its just shock value change with a weak story behind it, thats when i'll take issue with it.

i remember in an interview with alan moore he was asked whats the least favorite story he's written. to my surprise, he said the killing joke. but his reason for it was, in the end, nothing changed, and that made the story pointless. and theres some truth to that. while constant change and relentless progression with these characters and stories would be not good, the status quo does need shaken up from time to time, it needs to be challenged and kept on its toes. morrison did that with batman. i think he did it with great passion and understanding of the characters in an all around quality story. and that gains my respect.

Nothing changed? Batgirl was crippled, which lead to her becoming Oracle, a very significant character in both the Batfamily and overall DCU. That was a pretty significant change in the status quo

I'm about half and half with Morrison's run on Batman. I think some of it has been very good, and some of it as been 'meh' at best. I don't believe he's crafted any amazing, legendary stories like some try to claim, but I don't think he's made a bunch of crap like others thinks.

When it comes down to it I preferred Dini's run on Detective. When you say that the Morrison apologists jump over you for being afraid of change or just wanting simple stories. Which is somewhat true I guess, but you have to have a good story with your weirdness and change, in my opinion, which Morrison only seem to have about half of the time. Plus, Morrison did introduce Damien, which change or not, was a horrible idea

Last edited:
Nothing changed? Batgirl was crippled, which lead to her becoming Oracle, a very significant character in both the Batfamily and overall DCU. That was a pretty significant change in the status quo
yeah, i dont disagree, im just reiterating what moore said. and whether or not killing joke is the best example, the point still stands. but in regards to killing joke, he was probably talking about the main characters of batman and joker and how they came out of the story the same they went it.

I'm about half and half with Morrison's run on Batman. I think some of it has been very good, and some of it as been 'meh' at best. I don't believe he's crafted any amazing, legendary stories like some try to claim, but I don't think he's made a bunch of crap like others thinks.

i wouldnt quite say its "legendary" by any means, but over all i've really really enjoyed it.

When it comes down to it I preferred Dini's run on Detective. When you say that the Morrison apologists jump over you for being afraid of change or just wanting simple stories. Which is somewhat true I guess, but you have to have a good story with your weirdness and change, in my opinion, which Morrison only seem to have about half of the time. Plus, Morrison did introduce Damien, which change or not, was a horrible idea
yeah, and in my opinion the story has been consistently good enough to back the weirdness and change, but thats just me. and personally, so far, i've had no problem with damien. i think he's been handled well enough thus far.

yeah, i dont disagree, im just reiterating what moore said. and whether or not killing joke is the best example, the point still stands. but in regards to killing joke, he was probably talking about the main characters of batman and joker and how they came out of the story the same they went it.

Well, Moore must've done some dope before that interview. It's not like Morrison has really changed the character of Batman that much really either. I guess you could say he has the Joker, but I'm not sure if you can consider that a good change.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"