• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Fear and Loathing on the Hype: The Hunter S. Thompson Gonzo Thread

:applaud

Great stuff, ross. I'm reading Hell's Angels next for sure. Great piece you've written there, deep yet not a snoozefest.

I'll admit I read it in two sittings but it's because I'm at work and can only keep the facade of being busy realistic for so long :D

Great great great. Thanks for posting that mate :)

Thanks Eggy!

He's a great author and I really enjoyed getting to read a book of his that I hadn't and write about it.

Did you pick up that anthology yet?

I finished "The Rum Diary" not too long ago. Hate to say it, but I didn't love it. I'm still interested in the movie and want to see how they're going to do it.

Got Shark Hunt, Ross. I'm giving On the Campaign Trail a read then I'm gonna do it.

Loving The Great Shark Hunt, Ross. I pick it up every now and again and read a story or two. You just can't top Dr. Gonzo :D

It's good for that. Picking up and reading. Did you read the story where he and Steadman cover the Kentucky Derby? Probably one of my faves. :up:

I recieved fear and loathing for christmas, i'm quite fond of it though i've heard some of his other stories are better.

fear and loathing was very entertaining but the part i most enjoyed in it was Thompson's reflection on the meaning and true importance (or lack there of) of the 60's. That decade is overly romantisized and it was refreshing to read someone who was there at the time admitting that though they believed they were making a difference it really amounted to very little.

*Walks In*

Wow a Hunter S. Thompson thread! Awesome! Great to see other fans here on the hype.

I've read Fear and Loathing (great film too), Rum Diaries, Great Shark Hunt, and Hell's Angels. All very good, my least favorite being Rum Diaries. I never read The Curse of Lono, but I plan on it soon.

Anyone see the new documentary "Gonzo"? I seen it to rent at Blockbuster. I heard it was quite good.

And does anyone remember "Where the Buffalo Roam" with Bill Murray as Thompson? I only seen a little bit.

It's good for that. Picking up and reading. Did you read the story where he and Steadman cover the Kentucky Derby? Probably one of my faves. :up:

Yeh, I loved that one. Their first meeting and you could just tell that they were made for each other.

I recieved fear and loathing for christmas, i'm quite fond of it though i've heard some of his other stories are better.

fear and loathing was very entertaining but the part i most enjoyed in it was Thompson's reflection on the meaning and true importance (or lack there of) of the 60's. That decade is overly romantisized and it was refreshing to read someone who was there at the time admitting that though they believed they were making a difference it really amounted to very little.

This passage is pure genius Gonzo...

It seems like a lifetime, or at least a Main Era—that kind of peak that never comes again. San Francisco in the middle sixties was a very special time and place to be a part of. Maybe it meant something. Maybe not, in the long run. . . .
My central memory of that time seems to hang on one or five or maybe forty nights—or very early mornings—when I left the Fillmore half-crazy and, instead of going home, aimed the big 650 Lightning across the Bay Bridge at a hundred miles an hour wearing L. L. Bean shorts and a Butte sheepherder's jacket . . . booming through the Treasure Island tunnel at the lights of Oakland and Berkeley and Richmond, not quite sure which turn-off to take when I got to the other end . . . but being absolutely certain that no matter which way I went I would come to a place where people were just as high and wild as I was. . . . You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. . . .
And that, I think, was the handle—that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting—on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave. . . .
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark—that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.

*Walks In*

Wow a Hunter S. Thompson thread! Awesome! Great to see other fans here on the hype.

I've read Fear and Loathing (great film too), Rum Diaries, Great Shark Hunt, and Hell's Angels. All very good, my least favorite being Rum Diaries. I never read The Curse of Lono, but I plan on it soon.

Anyone see the new documentary "Gonzo"? I seen it to rent at Blockbuster. I heard it was quite good.

And does anyone remember "Where the Buffalo Roam" with Bill Murray as Thompson? I only seen a little bit.

Is that the docu. where Depp reads Thompson? If so, yes I have seen it and it's brilliant. You can watch it in about eight parts on YouTube. I've never seen the Murray film but I've heard it's quite good. It's on my 'to watch' list.

This was over in the Funny Pics Thread. I figured everyone here would get a kick out of it.

1267434879578.jpg

Fear and Lothing is one of my favorite books/movies - Hunter S. Thompson is a freak but that makes him special. Hells Angels is also a must-read in my opinion. I also love the Kentucky Derby story, it's fun readin. Since I am a horse racing fan, I know a lot about all the Kentucky Derby history and Thompason definitely has his place in there.

The Crazy Never Die

[YT]<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/QMfQhAtinHk&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/QMfQhAtinHk&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>[/YT]

gonzo-journalism.jpg

rodriguez_hunter.jpg

Hey, all --- just wondering if this thread is still active. Yes? No?

Is this thing on . . . . ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"