• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Firestarter remake

:eek:

Superhero
Reaction score
Universal Pictures and Dino De Laurentiis Co. are looking to remake 1984 horror movie Firestarter, with Mark L. Smith on board to write the script.

Based on the 1980 Stephen King novel, the original starred Drew Barrymore and grossed $17 million at the domestic box office. That film was also produced by Universal and De Laurentiis' Co.

Variety says the studio is aiming to turn the reboot into a franchise property and that "the main character is to be reinvented with a little more edge."

De Laurentiis Co. chairman Martha De Laurentiis and president of production Lorenzo De Maio will produce through the De Laurentiis Co. along with Steven Schneider through his Room 101.

"We see this as a unique, character-driven thriller with a supernatural edge, based on a timeless concept and enhanced by recent visual effects advances," Martha De Laurentiis said.

"'Firestarter' has a great mythology and with Martha and Lorenzo's vision we believe the franchise can be extended in a new and exciting direction," said Debbie Liebling, Universal's president of production.

a 3rd one? The did made for TV one too

I really wish people would stop using the term reboot if they are adapting a singular story or character.

Might have to watch the first one, got me intrigued

The first one wasn't too bad. Barrymore really played the role well.

I wonder who they will cast as Charlie?

Wasn't that movie some kind of sequel with Charlie as a grownup? Haven't seen it so I'm not sure.

Maybe, been years since I saw it *checks* yep looks like it was a follow up of the movie

Keith Flint for the twisted Firestarter!

Is he still alive?

.....of all of the movies to get remade..this one?

Man, it has been years since I last saw the original. I really don't recall much if it, might have to check it out again.

For the love of God I hope they bring this back to Wilmington. We're tired of just One Tree Hill.

The first one wasn't too bad. Barrymore really played the role well.

I wonder who they will cast as Charlie?

I wouldn't be surprised if they got Chloe Moretz for the role, would be typical Hollywood casting for the most part.

The guy who played the dad in the original movie tried to cut in front of me on line at the box office at Phantom of the Opera once. He seemed really mad that I wouldn't let him go ahead. :oldrazz:

A remake might not be terrible if it's done right. The scene when she torches the Feds in front of the farmhouse in the original is still pretty scary.

They're also doing Maximum Overdrive again.

U, De Laurentiis to reignite 'Firestarter'
Duo hope to turn reboot into franchise
By Justin Kroll

Universal is looking to reignite the "Firestarter" flame.

The studio and Dino De Laurentiis Co. have teamed to reboot the 1984 horror pic, with Mark L. Smith onboard to pen the script.

Although there were no sequels to the original feature, based on the Stephen King tome, the studio aims to turn the reboot into a franchise property.

The 1984 pic starred Drew Barrymore as a girl able to start fires at will. It grossed $17 million at the domestic B.O. and was also produced through U and De Laurentiis' Co.

Plot details for the reboot are being kept under wraps. It's expected to be loosely based on the original King book, but the main character is to be reinvented with a little more edge.

De Laurentiis Co. chairman Martha De Laurentiis and prexy of production Lorenzo De Maio will produce through the De Laurentiis Co. along with Steven Schneider through his Room 101 banner.

"We see this as a unique, character-driven thriller with a supernatural edge, based on a timeless concept and enhanced by recent visual effects advances," Martha De Laurentiis said.

Deal for "Firestarter" extends the longstanding relationship between U and De Laurentiis Co. The reboot was among the last projects the prolific Dino De Laurentiis worked on before his death in November at age 91.

"'Firestarter' has a great mythology and with Martha and Lorenzo's vision we believe the franchise can be extended in a new and exciting direction," said Debbie Liebling, U's prexy of production.

De Laurentiis Co. has a slew of projects in various stages of development, including a reboot of the cult classic "Barbarella," a remake of another King adaptation, "Maximum Overdrive" and a new spin on 1980s TV actioner "MacGyver."

Smith is now working on the "Firestarter" script. U hopes to get the pic into production next year, but has yet to take the project out to directors.

Besides the 1984 pic, cabler Syfy fielded a telepic in 2002 dubbed "Firestarter 2: Rekindled."

Smith's past credits include 2007's "Vacancy" and 2009's "The Hole."

Smith is repped by ICM and Management 360.
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118028978

Wasn't that movie some kind of sequel with Charlie as a grownup? Haven't seen it so I'm not sure.
Yeah , the second one showed a grownup Charlie. She ends up helping some dude try to take down some evil corporation. That creepy Native American dude is also still alive and is raising an army of children with powers. He wants Charlie to help one of the kids become a god.

Last edited:
Funny how the worst and least successful King-adapations gets so many remakes or sequels. Children of the Corn, anyone?

Makes sense to me. Why remake the ones that were good? Why make sequels to good ones when there's every likelihood that they'll cheapen the original story? (The Rage: Carrie 2, anyone?)

As for Firestarter, while I personally enjoyed it, and loved the final scene at the farm, I'm not totally opposed to a remake.

I'm not totally against a remake, but I'm worried that giving Charlie "more of an edge" means turning her into some obnoxious teenager. :whatever:

They're remaking Maximum Overdrive too? The original was terrible. There's not much they can improve from there.

Maximum Overdrive was a good story. I'm not sure how they could translate it into a good movie, without looking like some Terminator rip off, though.

Firestarter” Remake in the Works With Akiva Goldsman Directing for Universal, Blumhouse

In the wake of the stunning success of both Get Out and Split, Universal and Blumhouse are teaming up again on a remake of the classic Stephen King tale FIRESTARTER that will be directed by Oscar winner Akiva Goldsman. The news was announced at the Overlook Film Festival, where Blumhouse debuted Goldsman’s latest directorial effort Stephanie.

Released in 1984, Firestarter starred Drew Barrymore as a young girl with pyrokinetic abilities who is kidnapped by a secret government agency that wants to use her as a weapon.

Scott Teems (Rectify) will write the Firestarter remake, which will be produced by Jason Blum and executive produced by Martha de Laurentiis, who served as an associate producer on the original film.

A Winter's Tale is one of the most astoundingly bad films I've seen in awhile. Not much faith in this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stryderzer0
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"