• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Avengers Forget the actors...Who should direct The Avengers?

From what he said earlier in that excerpt, it sounds like he was worried that he wouldn't be able to make it as good as X-Men. That doesn't mean he isn't interested in these types of films, but didn't think with that one he could pull it off(which nobody probably could have) and that he's safer in his career right now by sticking with the types of films he's already making. But I read no where in there where he gave the "I don't like CB genre films" impression.

You could love the genre (comic books or otherwise) and still have no interest in ever attempting to make such a film and I'm not referring specifically to comic book films but big budget blockbusters in general.

The more I think and read about it, Favreau probably shouldn't handle The Avengers movie (which I know he said he won't, but even if he was available). Fact is, even though Iron Man was a great movie and all, I don't see him detaching from the light-hearted tone enough to create an atmosphere that should be huge and epic. Also he seems real hellbent on maintaining the realistic world that was portrayed in Iron Man, which wouldn't lead to good things when he's got Thor pushed on him. Another thing is even though it's a bit of an unfair assumption, I feel like Favreau would kinda favor Tony Stark as a character among the team due to his previous work and dedication to the character.

I've never thought of IM's tone as light-hearted. Not even close. It walks than fine line between light & dark where other films like Raider's of the Lost Ark went before.

There was some dark, but for the most part, I feel it's a bit more light, with the first fifteen minutes of Stark's slick character introduction and some of the nice cheesy humor of Stark getting hurt and the dialogue with the robotic equipment in the lab (which again, is nice). But the darkest it got was probably him being held captive in the cave. Not very light like FF or SM, but a little there. If 0 is in between light and dark (10 being lightest, -10 being darkest), I think Iron Man would be around a 2.

That's not bad of course, one of the appeals is that it didn't take itself too seriously and was fun for both adults and little kids alike.

Would you consider Raider's a dark film or a light film then?

Like Iron Man, somewhere in the middle. It's got the light charm but also the gear-switch to darker and more serious scenes. I think it's a bit darker than Iron Man, though I haven't seen it in a while.

I dunno, my opinions on movies are always subject to change. Point is, regardless of the lightness or darkness of Iron Man's tone it certainly wasn't epic and neither have any of Jon's previous films been, I don't know if Favreau could do a huge tone. But then he always could and we just haven't seen it yet. I'm probably a pain in the ass to discuss with because I'm never definitive in my thoughts and I'm more open to that anything could happen. But as of now, I don't picture Favreau handling Avengers, unless you'd like to sway me otherwise.

First off, Michael Bay should no longer be associated to any film of any sort. :p I think Loius Leterrier could do a great job...especially with the action sequences. I'm not entirely sure with Jon Favreau.

Letterier's a bit of a crapshoot. I loved what he did with TIH and I love his ambition and enthusiasm but I'm not 100% on him. He could do good, and seems pretty open to involving fantasy elements but there's something I not sure with him. I'll wait till Clash.

This is coming from a list some other site suggested, but would anyone consider Ron Howard?

Howard is interesting. The only films he makes which suck are when he makes Dan Brown adaptions, but the rest of his resume' is pretty awesome. I'd be pleased enough with him I guess.

I actually thought Angels and Demons was pretty entertaining... for a Dan Brown adaptation. Howard would be the best choice for it among all the other realistic candidates.

Well it was better than TDVC.

how about CLint Eastwood? no one has suggested him, great director. wonder if he could pull it off

how about CLint Eastwood? no one has suggested him, great director. wonder if he could pull it off

I don't think he would be good with superheroes or even action.

I actually want to see what Ron Howard does with this genre. I think he'd know enough about the universe to make it dark enough, yet still fun.

hehehe, might as well have said Joel Schumaker to direct a JLA movie.

mctiernanjohn.jpg

Hello my name is John Mctiernan and I directed the best action movie ever made : Die Hard, Predator, Die Hard 3, The Hunt for Red October and The 13th Warrior.

/close thread

I also directed Last Action Hero, Rollerball, Basic, and The Thomas Crown Affair. Oh, and I haven't had a theatrical release since 2003.

/
reopen thread

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back