FX’s Shogun | Hiroyuki Sanada, Cosmo Jarvis, Anna Sawai

It would be cool to see this go beyond the initial limited series. The writing would have to be top-notch so that it can stand shoulder to shoulder with this story, but I feel like the writers are up to the task. And they can always lean into real history, like they said.
I don't know how far the Clavell story goes into the future but I would think more in an anthology of different stories in this 9 hour format rather than the 50 hours that the Japanese normally produce.

I would go back to the 47 Ronin story without the supernatural since it is out into the public like Shogun was from a best seller

I don't know how far the Clavell story goes into the future but I would think more in an anthology of different stories in this 9 hour format rather than the 50 hours that the Japanese normally produce.

I would go back to the 47 Ronin story without the supernatural since it is out into the public like Shogun was from a best seller

An anthology series could be cool, yeah.

When I looked into buying the other books, I believe it spans like 80-150 years.

When I looked into buying the other books, I believe it spans like 80-150 years.
Curiously if they are not prequels you would think that Clavell would push on for another 100 years until Tom Cruise shows up ;)
But then again that version of Japan would be the grandfathers of the ones that held him as a P.O.W. and it might be harder to romanticize them.

So after some Google-Fu some I guess a Clavell pan Asian series rather than following up on Anjin and Toranaga progeny is being called for?

I have been asking what story that you want to tell is there for sequels?

It is "historical" fiction after all.

I have been asking what story that you want to tell is there for sequels?

It is "historical" fiction after all.
The history of the Orient, really. The following books covered Hong Kong and American prisoners during World War II in the Philippines. (King Rat was one of my favorites!)

The history of the Orient, really. The following books covered Hong Kong and American prisoners during World War II in the Philippines. (King Rat was one of my favorites!)
In that case each national production team would be going in to get their particular history correct. So would we be actually be looking at different seasons, or just different folk entirely wanting to adapt a Clavell book?

In that case each national production team would be going in to get their particular history correct. So would we be actually be looking at different seasons, or just different folk entirely wanting to adapt a Clavell book?
Each book is stand alone so it could be done either way. An anthology series would make it more clear that it's the same author.

Given the political climate if they want to do Tai pan or Noble House they will have to do without filiming in Hong Kong. Both books touched on topics and subjects I think sensitive to the authority now.

It would be interesting to see a modern version of the Noble House series, I remember a rather dandy Pierce Bronson in it.

Given the political climate if they want to do Tai pan or Noble House they will have to do without filiming in Hong Kong. Both books touched on topics and subjects I think sensitive to the authority now.

It would be interesting to see a modern version of the Noble House series, I remember a rather dandy Pierce Bronson in it.
I had no idea any book besides Shogun had been filmed. :)

The end of this weeks episode :wow:

Another great episode, going from strength to strength.

Great episode from start to finish. That ending is WILD.

kai-cenat.gif

Waiting for all the episodes for a weekend long binge session, so its good to see that its getting a lot of love. Its a SUPER dense book, and certainly my favorite of Clavell's Asian saga. Tai-Pan and Noble House would be interesting to see if even it would be tricky to logistically film them.

I do think Gaijin is underated and might be a good way to lead into TP & NH

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Blacktopolis24
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"