Apocalypse Gambit in the Apocalypse Movie

Super Jim

Sidekick
Reaction score
Well, we know that Gambit will be in the Apocalypse movie, and that he will be played by Channing. That's a different discussion.

What I want to discuss are possible plotlines for Gambit in an Apocalypse movie...

First, looking at canon, what we know about Gambit is that we first met him when he met Storm, who was the first X-Man Gambit met. Storm had been de-aged and her memory had been affected. Gambit helped her escape from the Shadow King.

When he first met her, Gambit seemed to recognize Storm in some manner, probably as one of the people that fought the Marauders during the Morlock Massacre or possibly because he already knew of the X-Men. We found out later that he was working for Mr. Sinister and was involved on the wrong side of the Morlock Massacre.

He wanted to help Storm and took her youthful version in as his apprentice, stealing from criminals and giving to the poor. (Storm having grown up as a street thief had skills, as did Gambit as a member of the Thieve's Guild).

Storm eventually remembered being an X-Man and returned to the team, with Gambit joining her. She and Gambit have an almost brother/sister relationship, and he stayed at first with the X-Men because of her and he eventually earned his own place on the team.

Of course this story can't work 100% since in the mid-1980's, when this Apocalypse story is supposed to take place, Ororo is going to be a teenager, likely around 15 years old.

But, there are aspects of this plot that could be used. If Professor X will be going around recruiting students, such as Scott, Jean, Kurt and Ororo; which makes a lot of sense, then having Gambit with Storm could work.

Now, how old should Gambit be in say 1985?

Well, the Wolverine: Origins movie took place in 1979 and my best guess is that Gambit was in his mid-20's to early 30's. That would make him around 30-ish, maybe mid-30's at the latest, in 1985.

So this could work...

I could easily see a 30-something Gambit in Cairo with a 14 or 15 year old Ororo, thieving and giving to the poor. Some plot point would happen setting up the two to meet Professor Xavier and them getting invited to the school. Does it need to be the Shadow King? Nope, just something that would help them develop their friendship. And that friendship, between Ororo and Gambit, could be a big plot point for those characters...

As far as the whole Morlock Massacre and Gambit working for Sinister, maybe it's possible to work it in, but would it be necessary? If they wanted the whole betrayal aspect for Gambit he could just be working for Sinister or Apocalypse without the whole Morlock plot. Maybe he was being used to find possible candidates to be Horsemen? Actually, making Gambit a Horseman himself could work as well. In Canon, Gambit has been the Horseman Death (though I feel that that will be Wolverine's role in this movie). It is possible to use him in this way, or make him one of the other Horsemen, such as War or Pestilence...

Obviously Gambit and Rogue's relationship can't work here, especially after what we saw at the end of DOFP, and the fact that Rogue will be too young to be in the Apocalypse movie.

The whole Bella Donna story might be good for a solo-Gambit movie, but not for the Apocalypse movie...

Now, thinking about the Egypt setting for Ororo and Gambit, imagine the two of them going into some pyramid (hmmm, didn't we see a pyramid in the after credits scene of DOFP?) to steal some treasure and instead finding some crypt and possibly awaking some major threat that would put them on the run while alerting a powerful telepath such as Professor X?

Hmmm...

gambitdeath-x-men-apocalypse-who-will-be-the-horsemen.jpeg

Can you stop making new threads, when we already have thread about Gambit in this movie?
PS
Origins was in 1987.
Do your math!

Origins was also retconned. Forget about it. That timeline never happened. We have a clean slate to do things completely differently. DOFP didn't even address Wolverine Origins. Just forget about it for chrissakes.

Can you stop making new threads, when we already have thread about Gambit in this movie?
PS
Origins was in 1987.
Do your math!

A thread about Channing Tatum being Gambit and my thread about possible plotlines is totally different. If you're not interested in talking about a possible plot for Gambit in the Apocalypse movie then don't click on the link. Simple!

Also I have read in multiple places that the Wolverine: Origins movie took place in the late 70's, specifically 1979 (just like I indicated). Here are some links for you:

http://uproxx.com/gammasquad/2013/07/the-x-men-film-timeline-clarified/#page/5

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20110602180236AAVYHes

http://www.imfdb.org/wiki/Talk:X-Men_Origins:_Wolverine

Oh, by the way, the 3 Mile Island meltdown took place in 1979, if that helps you...

Now, I will admit that I've seen other years, including 1981 and 1985 listed elsewhere (including SuperHeroHype) for that movie, but let's do this...

Even getting past the meltdown, which is pretty decent evidence for a year, Vietnam was from 62-75. Worst case they were arrested in 75 and worked on Stryker's team for a couple of years. Let's say that it was 1977 when Wolverine left. That would make it 1981 when the events of most of the movie, including the Weapon X program, took place. Now, if it was 1973 when they were arrested that would change the timeline so that the 3 Mile Island Meltdown was a coverup for what happened there during the events of the movie.

So, with that, I guess it's safe to say that I DID do my math!!!!!

Have they confirmed he's going to be in Apocalypse?

^ Yes, allegedly Bryan Singer has indicated that he wants both Nightcrawler and Gambit in the Apocalypse movie.

Here is a link to an article:

http://screenrant.com/x-men-apocalypse-gambit-nightcrawler/

The actual quote is as follows:

“I’m considering a Gambit and potentially a young Nightcrawler for Apocalypse. [We were] going to have to Nightcrawler [in Days of Future Past] and even wrote a scene, but I felt that we were forcing too mutants known history.”

So it's looking quite possible, if not likely.

Origins was also retconned. Forget about it. That timeline never happened. We have a clean slate to do things completely differently.
Logan changed past, but that doesn't change someone birth date.

DOFP didn't even address Wolverine Origins. Just forget about it for chrissakes.
We have 2 flashbacks from Origins in DOFP. It was on official timeline we saw in Empire. All movies counts.

^ I agree with Kasjan, just because some of the movies are now retconned it doesn't mean that certain character births would be different. Is it possible that some characters would now not be born? Sure, but any that were born previously, including Warren, would have to be conceived at the same time, or just not at all...

Oh, by the way, the 3 Mile Island meltdown took place in 1979, if that helps you...

Official Timeline from Empire Magazine indicates us events from Origins Wolverine take place in 1987 : Wolverine gets adamantium, teen Scott Summeers, Wolverine vs Deadpool weapon XI ..

Origins was also retconned. Forget about it. That timeline never happened. We have a clean slate to do things completely differently. DOFP didn't even address Wolverine Origins. Just forget about it for chrissakes.

Efffectively Origins, X1, X2, X3, Wolverine 2013 are retconned

Some of the things that happened in those movies could have still happened. Remember Beast talking about time/ripple effect. Just because you throw 1 stone in the river of time, it doesn't mean everything is changed. Some things probably stayed the same, just like Rogue getting white streaks.

Some of the things could have still happened. but Logan getting adamantium from Stryker, X-men vs brotherhood, vs Stryker, vs Dark Pheonix ... could happen otherwise or not.

What we're really arguing about here is the age of Gambit in 1985.

If you go with the 1979 year for Origins, based on Vietnam and the 3 Mile Island incident, then he'd be around 30 or so.

Now if instead it was 1987 for Origins, which doesn't make a lot of sense (though Empire Magazine has that for the official timeline) then Gambit would be in his early 20's in 1985.

Really, this doesn't matter. Channing Tatum will be able to pass for anything between early 20's to early 30's, which fits for Gambit. As long as they're not making him some teenager to fit him in relation to Scott, Jean and Ororo; then we're good.

No, Gambit will need to play the "older brother" type character, likely against Storm's 13, 14 or 15 year character. But what's great is that this can work very well, if they go with something similar to canon.

Have Ororo in Cairo and have her meet Gambit. They team-up, become friends, and away we go!

That gives Storm the backstory she needs. I could even see a situation where Ororo gets stuck when her home collapses, killing her parents, and giving her the claustrophobia she's supposed to have (which can come into play later in the movie). Have Gambit save her from that situation, which would bring them together.

Man, they can do so much with this next one IF they do it smart!

What we're really arguing about here is the age of Gambit in 1985.

If you go with the 1979 year for Origins, based on Vietnam and the 3 Mile Island incident, then he'd be around 30 or so.

Now if instead it was 1987 for Origins, which doesn't make a lot of sense (though Empire Magazine has that for the official timeline) then Gambit would be in his early 20's in 1985.

Really, this doesn't matter. Channing Tatum will be able to pass for anything between early 20's to early 30's, which fits for Gambit. As long as they're not making him some teenager to fit him in relation to Scott, Jean and Ororo; then we're good.

No, Gambit will need to play the "older brother" type character, likely against Storm's 13, 14 or 15 year character. But what's great is that this can work very well, if they go with something similar to canon.

Have Ororo in Cairo and have her meet Gambit. They team-up, become friends, and away we go!

That gives Storm the backstory she needs. I could even see a situation where Ororo gets stuck when her home collapses, killing her parents, and giving her the claustrophobia she's supposed to have (which can come into play later in the movie). Have Gambit save her from that situation, which would bring them together.

Man, they can do so much with this next one IF they do it smart!
A lot of good stuff there bub- I approve!!

Imagine Ororo some street thief in Cairo and she tries to steal from Gambit. They become friends. They try to go and steal from the pyramid and find the treasure room that has an alter with a sarcophagus. Around the room would be hyroglyphics with pictures of a being and four creatures riding horses. They go to open the sarcophagus, which ends up creating a quake and they have to escape for fear of being trapped and/or crushed. They end up being caught in a collapse very near the exit. Gambit saves Ororo, or Xavier shows up and saves them both. Of course Ororo now has a fear of tight places...

This ties in Ororo, Gambit and Apocalypse; which would then play in to her (and Gambit) being brought to the school and meeting the other students...

Because a death not happening because of a change to the timeline indicates that the person was still concieved (same egg and same sperm).

We saw that the conception of most characters did not change, including Jean, Scott, Kitty, Collosus, Bobby and Rogue.

Now is it possible that instead of the original person being born a different person was born earlier to the same parents, given the same name and just so happenes to develop the same mutant gene giving them the same powers as the person who now doesn't exist?

Umm... sure... but, really?

I don't think Wolverine going back to the past changed the births of Gambit and Angel, well unless the ripple effect had an effect to those parents of those mutants.

But they can always ignore this and just bring them in the 80s. If we didn't get an explanation in DOFP, how Wolverine got his adamantium claws back. Then Emma Frost appearing in the 60s as a 30 something woman despite appearing as a teenager in Origins which happened in the 80s. Anything can happen in Apocalypse.

I don't think Wolverine going back to the past changed the births of Gambit and Angel, well unless the ripple effect had an effect to those parents of those mutants...

Please God no!! That's just messy, confusing, and looks like a cop out to not have to be bound the rules of their own universe. They already have a ton of flaws and a ton of things not thoroughly fleshed out- taking liberties on characters ages looks too contrived, it's a horrible idea IMO.

I don't think Wolverine going back to the past changed the births of Gambit and Angel, well unless the ripple effect had an effect to those parents of those mutants.

But they can always ignore this and just bring them in the 80s. If we didn't get an explanation in DOFP, how Wolverine got his adamantium claws back. Then Emma Frost appearing in the 60s as a 30 something woman despite appearing as a teenager in Origins which happened in the 80s. Anything can happen in Apocalypse.

Yeah at this stage I dont think we can rule anything out or in.

Well if it can change deaths why wouldnt it be able to change births?
Yeah, Xavier searched their parents and said make babies right now! :o
Also it won't change age of someone who was born before 1973, for example: Gambit, Jean, Scott, Ororo,...
Gambit is 20+ in 1987 and Jean, Scott, Ororo are about 16-18.

I prefer they set it in the late 80's.

1988 would be 15 years after DOFP, Xavier and Magneto about 55 years old. McAvoy and Fassbeder will need great makeup in this movie too, not only Lawrence and Hoult.

Some of the things that happened in those movies could have still happened. Remember Beast talking about time/ripple effect. Just because you throw 1 stone in the river of time, it doesn't mean everything is changed. Some things probably stayed the same, just like Rogue getting white streaks.

That's the general impression I took away from the movie, too. With Wolverine getting discovered by Stryker/Mystique indicates to me that though they prevented that particular future, things will still play out in a similar way (i.e. we can expect Wolverine to get adamantium, but maybe not from Stryker).

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
japanorsomewher
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"