Genetically Altered Glow-In-The-Dark Cats Assist in AIDS Research.

TheDragonator

Sidekick
Reaction score
http://techie-buzz.com/science/glow-cat-aids-cure.html

Cats, just like humans, are infected by AIDS and have no resistance against the virus. Scientists decided to study the resistance of a few genetically modified cats to the action of the Feline Immuno-deficiency Virus (FIV), the feline equivalent of the Human Immuno-deficiency Virus (HIV). However, the rhesus macaque, a member of the monkey genus, is capable to resisting the AIDS virus. The idea was to inject the ‘restriction factors’ (a set of genes) into the cats and see how the newer generations adapt to this genetic change. In order to track the passage of these antiviral genes throughout the cat’s body, scientists used fluorescent protein extracted from jelly fish. The unimaginatively named Green Fluorescent Protein (GFP) acts as a perfect marker and makes the cat, no prizes for guessing, glow with a green fluorescence.

While it may seem amusing to some, and even macabre to others, GFP is a common way of chromatically tagging cells or tissues in the biotech lab. It is easily available and gives intense colours around 395 nm (green) wavelength. It is used as a ‘biosensor’, to test whether some inserted genes can be expressed in a particular cell or not.

The antiviral gene and the GFP were both injected into the egg of a female cat. The next generation of cats developed the characteristic glow. Cells taken from these cats were then tested for resistance against FIV and, lo behold, they were indeed found to be resistant.

This is a vital step and might hold the key to finding a cure for the AIDS virus for humans too. The next step in research would be to introduce full-grown injected cats to the AIDS virus and see whether the immunity is multi-cellular or not.

Cats are promising to shed new light on an old menace, in more ways than one.

glowing_cat.jpg

On one hand that kitty is cute. On the other hand I can't help but feel like this is inhumane. On the other hand, if this saves a lot of lives then it's worth it. On the other hand, KITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTY!

This could quite possibly be an amazing breakthrough.

I want a kitty.

The best part is, since the cat was born with the glowing gene, it can be passed down through it's children. So there is a small chance that glowing in the dark could become a widespread cat trait, if they can get the cats to breed.

Also, it means you could do this with other animals. Even possibly humans! (although that would be more controversial than it's worth, but it'd still be pretty damn cool.)

Or even better, glow in the dark traits for animals in wildlife reserves, to keep track of them.

The best part is, since the cat was born with the glowing gene, it can be passed down through it's children. So there is a small chance that glowing in the dark could become a widespread cat trait, if they can get the cats to breed.

Also, it means you could do this with other animals. Even possibly humans! (although that would be more controversial than it's worth, but it'd still be pretty damn cool.)

Or even better, glow in the dark traits for animals in wildlife reserves, to keep track of them.

Why stop there. Soon enough Cats with Lasers could become a real possibility
images

Why stop there. Soon enough with Lasers could become a real possibility
images

Glow in the dark cat has so much meme potential.

I dub thee: Glowcat.

I can make you glow right now. Load a up a gene gun with the fluorescent jellyfish genes, attach them to gold particles(necessary for gene delivery) and literally "shoot" you anywhere you want to glow.

The cats don't glow. They fluoresce under certain light. And if you think glowing would help animals in nature reserves, you don't understand how things hunt at all.

The cats don't glow. They fluoresce under certain light. And if you think glowing would help animals in nature reserves, you don't understand how things hunt at all.

Reminds me of a criminal who caught cought b/c he tried to evade the police wearing light-up sneakers :hehe:

Green means go.
It only a matter of time before they create red glowing cats and yellow cats. And boom! Future stoplights

Green means go.
It only a matter of time before they create red glowing cats and yellow cats. And boom! Future stoplights

That'll be so useful for when all of the electricity in the world dies and we dissolve into complete anarchy. oh, wait, except, anarchy..,

The don't . They fluoresce under certain . And if you think glowing would help animals in nature reserves, you don't understand how things hunt at all.

I meant it would be easier to tell if a poacher was just hunting out of an animal reserve.

Can this work on insects? :p that would be cool. Even though people kill them on sight anyways.

Except dont you notice you tend not to kill a light bug or a butterlfly?

Can this work on insects? :p that would be cool. Even though people kill them on sight anyways.

Except dont you notice you tend not to kill a light bug or a butterlfly?

I'd approve of this for Spiders, that way I can see them coming at me at night. :(

Forget poachers. One animal glows, one doesn't. Who gets eaten first?

The ferret. :p

What about the aids thing though? If it works, it could be a major breakthrough.

Or a dead glowcat. :(

For the sake of science, this must succeed! We cannot create this incredibly awesome cat only to have it die. For the sake of awesomeness, AIDS MUST BE CURED!

Who is that? She looks kind of familiar.

The ferret. :p

What about the aids thing though? If it works, it could be a major breakthrough.

Or a dead glowcat. :(

For the sake of science, this must succeed! We cannot create this incredibly awesome cat only to have it die. For the sake of awesomeness, AIDS MUST BE CURED!

Why would they cure it when they can make millions researching it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannnnman
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"