Superman Returns George Perez on Superman Returns trailer and film

Nivek

Avenger
Reaction score
Got to speak to DC Comics legendary artist and writer George Perez this afternoon at my local comic shop in Longwood, FL that was having a little mini-Con for Free Comic Book Day. I've gotten to speak to him before at one of my previous places of employment, but this is my first time since last year I had the chance to talk to him.

He was wearing a printed Superman shirt, so of course, I asked him about what he thought about the trailer and upcoming movie. He said he had some reservations about the film initially because in some pic's Brandon Routh looked too young, others he looked just right. He wasn't too impressed with the first teaser, he liked it, but didn't see enough to really change his opinion.

But he said after seeing the Trailer, all his fears are settled, he loved it. He said maybe it was the music, or maybe seeing Superman in all his glory again, but he will definitely see it if not on opening night, that week. I told him about it may possibly be in-town in Imax 3D, and he was perked up and said he might catch that presentation since he never seen an Imax 3D movie before.

Of course, as we were talking about the movie, some Simpsons Comic Book Guy looking old fart behind us (rudely) mentioned "It'll be stupid if he has a kid". Then I asked George what he thought of it, and if they are going that direction in the comics and his response was he heard rumors, but that it "wouldn't be the first time, either". So blah, the fatty kinda turned away and went about his business eating his free hot dog.

Overall, i was happy to see a long respected Comic Book creator speak face to face about the film, with a big Smile on his face!

We also spoke of a couple other projects like the upcoming animated Teen Titans film and Joss Whedens Wonder Woman project, which was interesting to hear about. I'll answer questions about what he said in regards to that film in a PM if anyones interested.

It was probably the music, or the FX. It sure wasn't Singer's vision, was it?

I met George Perez last weekend in Toronto too. Hes awesome.

I accidently came close to upsetting him though. He was commenting how my issues of COIE I wanted him to sign looked fresh off the presses. I said I got them off Ebay recently because I wasnt even born when they first came out... He was like 'ouch!' but he was just joking around.

Glad to see hes hopeful about the movie, but I really wana hear the opinions of some of the DC writers, not artists.

And lol @ the fat hotdog guy. Hes probably a troll in this forum.

Kane said:
Glad to see hes hopeful about the movie, but I really wana hear the opinions of some of the DC writers, not artists.
For that, you'll probably have to wait until after the movie is actually released. Then they'll be able to comment on the actual story.

Someone asked Greg Rucka at the panel I was at about the "Up Up and Away" arc and when it concludes.. He basically said around when the film comes out.

Its possible theres some connection between the two thats a spoiler for the film.

Cool, Nivek!! I like Perez. He been to a comic book convention in Charlotte, North Carolina almost every summer. I still haven't meet him yet, but I plan to. He always seem like a funny & jolly man. :)

Who cares if they are going that direction in the comics. Does that suddenly make it a good idea? Why is it so hard for people to us objection around here? I guess if "legenday comic book artist George Perez" said that, then we must all agree with him right? I love the fack that Nivek added that "legendary" bit in, pretty absurd of you, Niv.

Very Cool Nivek and pm me everything he said abot Whedon and WW ;)

George Perez is the man.. His brother David Perez is a great writer/ journalist. David's a close friend of me and my pops. I guess great writing runs in the family. It's funny i still never met George though. Just got an autograph once.

Stewie Griffin said:
Who cares if they are going that direction in the comics. Does that suddenly make it a good idea? Why is it so hard for people to us objection around here? I guess if "legenday comic book artist George Perez" said that, then we must all agree with him right?

Oh, yes. I'm sure the fact that people agree with the guy must be a lie. If a famous person said it and people agree, they must all just be mimicing him and not REALLY mean what they're saying. There's no possible way that people could have a different opinion than you, therefore they must all be lying about what they feel!

Take your ego and cram it up with wallnuts, pal.

Now, when people who actually do comics (like Superman) say that they'll gonna love SR, does that give good fell for all you guys?

Very nice Vek. Must have been cool to meet with and actually talk shop with him. Thanks for posting.

Binker said:
Now, when people who actually do comics (like Superman) say that they'll gonna love SR, does that give good fell for all you guys?

Is that what you got out of that interview?

Them rose-tinted glasses must be a thick perscription.

????

What I meant was: when someone (really big name for comics or not) who works the source material give postive opinions on the film just by the trailers, does this answer the quiestion of will this movie be good?

Comic book writers/artists gave postives for Batman Begins, we got a good feeling and it was good when it opened. Now, the same thing for Superman Returns, does it give you the same feeling?

Kane said:
Next time, just ignore him man..

Good point. I'm gonna get myself banned, so I should quit while I'm ahead.

Kane said:

Well, is is a writer as well as an artist. He co-created Teen Titans with Marv Wolfman, and still get royalties from it.

Oldguy said:

Unfortunatly (for you), he is a fan of Singer. He even pointed out how much he liked the X-men films, and exspects that level of quality with Superman Returns.

Stewie Griffin said:
I guess if "legenday comic book artist George Perez" said that, then we must all agree with him right? I love the fack that Nivek added that "legendary" bit in, pretty absurd of you, Niv.

Absurd? Do you know who this guy is, or his reputation in the comics field? My god, you have a severe lack of respect. Never mind, I should know better.

Thanks for the other responces guys, nice to see the greater majority of people here actually respect a creators opinion.

Nivek said:
Got to speak to DC Comics legendary artist and writer George Perez this afternoon at my local comic shop in Longwood, FL that was having a little mini-Con for Free Comic Book Day. I've gotten to speak to him before at one of my previous places of employment, but this is my first time since last year I had the chance to talk to him.

He was wearing a printed Superman shirt, so of course, I asked him about what he thought about the trailer and upcoming movie. He said he had some reservations about the film initially because in some pic's Brandon Routh looked too young, others he looked just right. He wasn't too impressed with the first teaser, he liked it, but didn't see enough to really change his opinion.

But he said after seeing the Trailer, all his fears are settled, he loved it. He said maybe it was the music, or maybe seeing Superman in all his glory again, but he will definitely see it if not on opening night, that week. I told him about it may possibly be in-town in Imax 3D, and he was perked up and said he might catch that presentation since he never seen an Imax 3D movie before.

Of course, as we were talking about the movie, some Simpsons Comic Book Guy looking old fart behind us (rudely) mentioned "It'll be stupid if he has a kid". Then I asked George what he thought of it, and if they are going that direction in the comics and his response was he heard rumors, but that it "wouldn't be the first time, either". So blah, the fatty kinda turned away and went about his business eating his free hot dog.

Overall, i was happy to see a long respected Comic Book creator speak face to face about the film, with a big Smile on his face!

We also spoke of a couple other projects like the upcoming animated Teen Titans film and Joss Whedens Wonder Woman project, which was interesting to hear about. I'll answer questions about what he said in regards to that film in a PM if anyones interested.

Damn. Longwood? Acme Comics, right? Off 434?

I could've gone!!!!

OldGuy said:

So you're still mad that Warner Brother's didn't hire you to do your fangasm Superman film?

I don't know who this guy is but he likes it, that's alright with me.

bosef982 said:
Damn. Longwood? Acme Comics, right? Off 434?

I could've gone!!!!

Yup, picked up the last TP of Birthright when I was there as well, due to recommendations from some people.

Nivek said:
Yup, picked up the last TP of Birthright when I was there as well, due to recommendations from some people.

I was working at the Altamonte Mall all day, but I was like five minutes away.

Kane said:
And lol @ the fat hotdog guy. Hes probably a troll in this forum.

:confused:

Oldguy said:

:eek::o:O

Wesyeed said:
I don't know who this guy is but he likes it, that's alright with me.

The guy co-created Teen Titans and several of its characters, did a very recognised run on Wonder Woman, recently drew Avengers Vs. JLA, Incredible Hulk: Future Imperfect, a bunch of high profile stuff over the past 30 years. Look him up, or ask around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"