BvS "Gotham" the TV Series coming to Fox -- how will effect the new Batman?

Visiting Arkham

Civilian
Reaction score
http://www.deadline.com/2013/09/com...-drama/#utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

In one of the biggest drama deals this season, after a bidding war, Fox has landed Gotham, from Warner Bros. TV and The Mentalist creator Bruno Heller, with a series commitment. For Gotham, Warner Bros TV is mining one of DC Comics‘ most popular character universes, Batman. It explores the origin stories of Commissioner James Gordon and the villains that made Gotham famous. In Gotham, Gordon is still a detective at the Gotham City Police Department and is yet to meet Batman who will not be part of the series. The Gordon character was introduced in 1939 in the very first Batman comic. Created by Bill Finger and Bob Kane, Commissioner Gordon has appeared in comic books as well as Batman films and series, including in Christopher Nolan’s Dark Knight trilogy where it was played by Gary Oldman. Along with the Superman franchise, the Batman universe is probably the most prized DC property. While Superman spawned the long-running series Smallville, this is the first series featuring a character from the world of Batman in a very long time. It is the second high-profile WBTV/DC drama in the works for next season, along with Flash at the CW. In addition to Gotham, WME-repped Heller has Mars drama Red at the CW. Gotham joins CBS’ sci-fi drama Extant as the two highest-profile drama projects this season, sparking bidding wars and landing series commitment and series order, respectively.

Wow, so is DC getting into the "Agents of SHIELD" business? Will this Gordon and Gotham relate to the new Batman, or is it going to be a separate entity like Smallville?

Yeah me too. Im thinking it's loose continuity. Could they link it with Affleck? Sure. But they don't have to.

I just don't see Arrow/Flash + this new Gordon based Gotham show related to the film world. Much like Smallville wasn't.

I doubt it's in direct continuity with the Nolan-verse. The best thing they can do is act like it's its own thing but could act like this new show could be the prequel to any Bat universe out there.

Well it could be a sort of prequel to the batman verse though cops taking down gothams villains I dunno I prefer batman over Gordon but I will check it out

There better still be a few solo Affleck Batman films

So now we have a show about Green Arrow out there, one that's been proven to be somewhat popular with the fans and GA (well considering that it's a CW show) and we're going to be getting a show about the Flash that's based within the same continuity as Arrow and now we're going to have a show about Gordon in his days before he met "Batman".

DC/Warner Bros. might as well establish that all of this is within the same continuity as MOS to save them to the trouble of having to create a larger universe on the big screen in order to make a JL film.

*crossed fingers for shared universe*

Honestly though, this had better to lead into something great at the end since I still remember on how so many were disappointed that after 10 years of being on air, we only got one shirt rip and a few CGI doubles to pose in for the Superman shots from "Smallville".

And truth be told, I'm willing to bet that one of the biggest questions that will constantly be raised by many is when they can expect to see Batman because at the end of the day, Batman is far more popular than Gordon and the biggest reason why some will tune into this show AT FIRST is because of Gordon's connection with Batman.

My body wasn't ready for this news.

Smallville pretty much is a test of what to do when making these types of shows:

1. Have people who actually care about the character
2. Have a set plan and stick with it
3. Have good writers
4. Stop with this rights BS that keeps certain aspects off the show

From what ive seen from Arrow, it sucks. Im not expecting greatness from Flash since he debuts in that show then spins off into its own thing with an actor who is younger than me. And im only 25. Id rather see Barry Allen (im not a fan of Wally West most of the time) in his late 20s or early 30s, whether that's film or tv.

So the fact that this show will be on Fox (blah) and could be connected to these shows?? That could be disappointing. The writer from the Mentalist is doing this, so it could be alright. Im not a fan of that show but what ive seen it's OK for what it's trying to do. I cant diss it. Im just into different styles of television. So im not completely sure what kind of a writer he is.

It's too bad it wasn't written by Jonah Nolan who is doing Person of Interest and tied to the Nolan-verse. But hopefully this will get a good cast.

I'm incredibly skeptical. This really feels like a reaction to Agents of SHIELD, and that sort of thing doesn't usually lead to quality content. Sometimes it does, but I have a lot of doubts right now.

I'm also not sure if keeping Batman out of a show about solving crimes in Gotham will be as easy or natural as keeping the Avengers out of a SHIELD show.

Wow this is fantastic news.Hopefully we see some classic Batman villains in this. we'd have to right?

I really wonder if this will be connected to Batman/Superman

And I wonder who will play Gordon. if its a prequel, it'll probably be some guy in his mid to late 30s maybe early 40s

I like Arrow, it's plain dumb fun. S1's first half was mediocre, but the second half was great. Don't want it to be connected to the MOS universe, though.

I could care less about villains, though I'm sure we'll see them in some fashion. I want to see Bullock, Montoya, Essen, etc.

What feels weird about it is how they intend to have the rogues gallery in there without the existence of Batman. I'm not against trying out new ideas in different continuities, but the villains have always been reflections of who Batman is or could be, so to take him out of the equation seems strange. Or maybe they are going to leave the heavy hitters out of it and focus on small time crooks, who knows.

My biggest fear is it turning into a mediocre CBS procedural type show, just a bland cop drama with comic characters.

Comments and questions

• The Mentalist never interested me.
  • It needs good writing. Call up/consult Ed Brubaker.
  • Be way different than those other TV procedurals than just theming it with Batman characters.
  • A good cast. Gordon and I assume Barbara are locks as characters.
  • Any continuity with the new set of films? I'd likely be ok with that.
  • How fantastical? Going further than the Nolan films could help separate it from other TV procedurals.
  • Another missed opportunity for a Wonder Woman show.

Seeing characters like Falcone and Cobblepot fleshed out could be cool.

It could just end up like your standard cop show that so happens to have some DC characters in it.

What's funny is I just read this...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/2013/09/22/ed-brubaker-sunday-conversation/2828983/

Q. With Marvel's Agents of SHIELD about to premiere, all sorts of people think a Gotham Central show is totally doable now, too.

A. The book is actually more popular now than when we were doing it. There's been talk of Gotham Central on TV since when we were doing the comic even (in the mid-2000s). Everyone at Warner Bros. really loved it. Chris Nolan after they did Birds of Prey had asked them to just please not do any Batman-related stuff until he was done with his trilogy — looking at Birds of Prey, you can see why. It was not the world's greatest pilot.

Every season, I wait to see if they're going to announce something like that, and just a couple of months ago there was some article in the Hollywood Reporter about them supposedly developing it. I haven't heard any confirmation on it or anything. You can easily see it.

It's bizarre to me. Since my career began, the entire entertainment world has changed the way they deal with comics.

I think they're making a mistake by involving the origins of Batman's villains; it's just going to make the absence of Batman that much more pronounced and awkward--unless, as Guard suggested, we're talking about the likes of Cobblepot, in which case, sounds good.

In any case, if it's a freak of the week procedural, I don't want it. If it's a serialized crime drama, sign me the hell up.

What feels weird about it is how they intend to have the rogues gallery in there without the existence of Batman. I'm not against trying out new ideas in different continuities, but the villains have always been reflections of who Batman is or could be, so to take him out of the equation seems strange. Or maybe they are going to leave the heavy hitters out of it and focus on small time crooks, who knows.

My biggest fear is it turning into a mediocre CBS procedural type show, just a bland cop drama with comic characters.

Well, they might mean characters a step removed from the main rogues gallery, like Black Mask and the Falcone family.

It would be a nice way to get some characters onscreen we might not otherwise see, or see for a while. Gordon's daughter Barbara, supporting officers from the GCPD, Harvey Dent. There are all kinds of possibilities.

Recently the history of Gotham prior to Batman has become popular subject matter i the comics; this is also an opportunity to exploit some of that--and showcase a lot of the material that just wouldn't make it into a movie or animated series.

Recently the history of Gotham prior to Batman has become popular subject matter i the comics; this is also an opportunity to exploit some of that--and showcase a lot of the material that just wouldn't make it into a movie or animated series.

Maybe a Court of Owls serialized undercurrent?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"