• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Comics Gravestone Theories

Ultimate Kaine said:
Joe Blow (er, Joe Q, I meant) obviously realizes that A) non-canon miniseries and B) future tales which are even less relevent to current events don't make much money, so he's using this art to try to drum up some interest.

Also, by firing us all up over the image, at some point when he splits MJ and Peter up, he can say in Joe Fridays "See? It's not like I killed her. Remember how boiled over everyone got over that tombstone image that meant nothing?"

Dude's as predictable as a dog's fart.

Haha, I don't think he'd go that far but I do agree he's doing a fine job of further making fans beside themselves, which has been fantastic entertainment, by the way. :spidey:

I really find it impossible to give a damn, at this point. I'm not worked up over it in the slightest.

It's real....it isn't real...it's for this project...it's for that project...

Whatever. He's going to do with the characters whatever he wants to do with the characters and we just get to sit back and watch. End of story.

Personally, I don't care. I read 1 616 Spider-Man title right now, and that's Sensational Spider-Man. This happens, I cancel one whole book from my pull list. Doesn't affect me too much either way.

WillemBurr said:
Spider-Man Reign takes place 35 years from now. (http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=8126)

One of the pictures show a WHITE haired peter sitting accross from MJ at a dinner table. (http://www.newsarama.com/WW_Chicago_06/Marvel/reign/andrews.html)

The Peter clutching MJ's gravestone has his typical brown hair.
Well Doc, I am still a bit relieved...

I think this picture IS definitely from Spider-Man Reign. The style of art is a perfect match, and the redhead across the table from Peter (if that is Peter) could be his daughter, or a fantasy. I would not assume it was supposed to be MJ.

One thing I know after reading the article, I'm going to take the author/artist's advice and NOT pick it up. He said this is not for every Spidey fan and I'm sure he means me...
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]"When asked why he feels that Spider-Man fans should check out "Reign," he replies, "I'm not sure they should. Spider-Man is maybe too precious. If you love the character as much as I do, than maybe you shouldn't watch what I'm about to do to him because I am going to beat him into submission. I am going to take away everything he loves, and not give it back. I am going to give him pain and humiliation. He will face the worst and he will fail. No, maybe you shouldn't pick it up. Maybe you should look away and read something funny. Go watch a romantic comedy or something, because I'm not interested in pleasing a particular fanbase or meeting someone else's expectations. This is my shot at a character I grew up with, a character I love. And I am aiming right between the eyes."

[/FONT]
Nice to have an honest heads up. Unlike JQ he's under no ILLUSION that most Spidey fans are going to like this.

Captivated said:
Well Doc, I am still a bit relieved...

I think this picture IS definitely from Spider-Man Reign. The style of art is a perfect match, and the redhead across the table from Peter (if that is Peter) could be his daughter, or a fantasy. I would not assume it was supposed to be MJ.

One thing I know after reading the article, I'm going to take the author/artist's advise and NOT pick it up. He said this is not for every Spidey fan and I'm sure he means me...
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]"When asked why he feels that Spider-Man fans should check out "Reign," he replies, "I'm not sure they should. Spider-Man is maybe too precious. If you love the character as much as I do, than maybe you shouldn't watch what I'm about to do to him because I am going to beat him into submission. I am going to take away everything he loves, and not give it back. I am going to give him pain and humiliation. He will face the worst and he will fail. No, maybe you shouldn't pick it up. Maybe you should look away and read something funny. Go watch a romantic comedy or something, because I'm not interested in pleasing a particular fanbase or meeting someone else's expectations. This is my shot at a character I grew up with, a character I love. And I am aiming right between the eyes."

[/FONT]
Nice to have an honest heads up. Unlike JQ he's under no ILLUSION that most Spidey fans are going to like this.

So it's nothing more than expensive, authorized fan-fiction. I don't see the appeal.

Captivated said:
the redhead across the table from Peter (if that is Peter) could be his daughter, or a fantasy. I would not assume it was supposed to be MJ.

Irony/10

What a fat bag of crap.

I can't wait until they get a new EIC.

MaxCarnage said:
So it's nothing more than expensive, authorized fan-fiction. I don't see the appeal.

Actually, you're right.

**** him and Joe Q.

Citizen_Kaine said:
reign_31.jpg

It's the exact same ****ing thing!

I assume you're talking about DKR, I'll admiit it looks similar but the difference in the story should be where the characters differ, Spidey has to raise above whatever pain is going to happen to him Whereas Batman basically let it consume him to the point that he faked his own death, Spidey should come out of it looking to the future.

I believe Marvel will try to pull the same bull**** as before when they tried to kill off MJ , Only to have the fans freaking piss-off at them, they brought her back.

I'll do again this time. And will bring her back .

MJD said:
I assume you're talking about DKR, I'll admiit it looks similar but the difference in the story should be where the characters differ, Spidey has to raise above whatever pain is going to happen to him Whereas Batman basically let it consume him to the point that he faked his own death, Spidey should come out of it looking to the future.

um.... what the ****?? I think he was referring to how the gravestone cover and the SM:Reign preview look like one and the same... nothing to do with batman :o

There is no proof this is from Reign (which sounds craptacular) and the white hair alone makes me think that it will most likely be 616 continuity at the end of Civil War (unforutantely).

BTW the author of Reign sounds like a pretentious *******. Okay, he acts like he is the first writer to write a dark Spider-Man story....HE'S NOT, he's just knocking off DKR due to a lack of tallent is all.

Oh well.

MyPokerShirt said:
um.... what the ****?? I think he was referring to how the gravestone cover and the SM:Reign preview look like one and the same... nothing to do with batman :o

He said like a page ago he's not getting Regin because he didn't like DKR so I assumed when he said it's the same thing he was talking about the stories of Regin and DKR. Of course I could be wrong.

reign_31.jpg

reign_32.jpg

Look at the coloring and inking... the way the pen stokes are uniform and blunt. It's a pretty distinct style, and it's found in the picture above and this one with the grave. I'd say it's clearly drawn by the same person, and since we know the above are from Reign... I'd bet money that the below is too. Especially after hearing how DARK and depressing Reign will be. Unless, of course it's just a fake to generate buzz... :mad:

spidey_grave.jpg

SpideyInATree said:
Because this is the Hype Spider-Man Comic Forum. And everything that gets released under the name Spider-Man sucks, except like 2 percent of it.

Hhahahah SIAT you are funny (sarcasm).
Most of what is going on w/ SM right now does suck, and it is not funny.

MJD said:
He said like a page ago he's not getting Regin because he didn't like DKR so I assumed when he said it's the same thing he was talking about the stories of Regin and DKR. Of course I could be wrong.

Yeah, I did mean the cover and the interior pencilling. I should've posted the cover in it as well, just to have been more clear.

Dangerous said:
Hhahahah SIAT you are funny (sarcasm).
Most of what is going on w/ SM right now does suck, and it is not funny.

Hey, if you say so. I'm having plenty of fun.

That just sounded like his usual Joe Quesada self where he simply teases that something crazy is going to happen. And it's quickly followed by a plethora of people here getting bent out of shape and saying "I'll drop all Spider-Man titles if they kill MJ".

Just like people dropped all titles after Sins Past. And The Other. And the unmasking. :oldrazz:

1. Joe Q is probably sitting back in his oversized easy chair at Marvel laughing his fat ass off because his statements are designed to get everybody's goat up and guess what? It's working. Just like when he talked smack about the marriage last time.

2. I am convinced that the image of Spidey hold MJ's gravestone is a cover from Spider-Man:Reign, considering how it drawn it exactly the same style as the other images from that mini. Oh, and for those of you who think that it's not from Reign because Spidey in Reign has white hair and the image of the cover has Spidey with brown hair, you do realize that comic companies release edited covers so as not to "spoil" anything (like the cover for Civil War #4 for example). Is it so hard to believe that someone would realize an image from Reign in which they doctor the hair color via photoshop?

3. And the more I read about Reign, the more it does sound an awful lot like The Dark Knight Returns only with Spider-Man in it instead of Batman (not to mention ANOTHER dystopian future story with America now a police state and the return of a hero after years of retirement. Seriously, after DKR, isn't that concept getting just a tad old?)

SpideyInATree said:
That just sounded like his usual Joe Quesada self where he simply teases that something crazy is going to happen. And it's quickly followed by a plethora of people here getting bent out of shape and saying "I'll drop all Spider-Man titles if they kill MJ".

Just like people dropped all titles after Sins Past. And The Other. And the unmasking. :oldrazz:

Hey, I dropped all my Marvel titles after The Other. Not being able to buy USM is painful for me, but I won't give JoeQ any of my money.

MaxCarnage said:
Hey, I dropped all my Marvel titles after The Other. Not being able to buy USM is painful for me, but I won't give JoeQ any of my money.

But that's the thing. You're not hurting Quesada, so really you're only hurting yourself.

MaxCarnage said:

You know what? I did the same thing. I'm not saying I'll never buy Marvel comics again, but I just don't cae for the curent direction the comics line is taking. I haven't bought an issue in weeks and I haven't missed them AT ALL.

Quesada had better hope the majority of the remaining comic audience doesn't become as apathetic as I am right now or he and his buddies will be out of a job. "New Marvel" turns off a lot of older readers, and 10 -14 year old reader Marvel says they want to attract doesn't exist. You can't make money in comics if no one is reading your product.

SpideyInATree said:
But that's the thing. You're not hurting Quesada, so really you're only hurting yourself.

That is exactly the attitude that keeps consumers from ever taking a stand with the one thing that DOES hurt companies and make them listen: money. If more people took the action I was taking, then things WOULD change. It does hurt me a little, but it would BS for me to talk about how crappy it is while continuing to buy it.

I don't like where Spider-Man is going, so I am speaking out with my wallet. I may be one of the few, and nothing may end up changing, but I would be a hypocrite if I talked up consumer power and then continued to financially support something I could no longer stand behind.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"