Greek Mythology Movies

Immortals is watchable; I watched it recently and some parts of it hold up pretty well. The fight sequences are well choreographed and the acting is good. I just wish they would have gone bolder with some of the mythological elements (like having an actual Minotaur would have been cool) and made stuff like the gods’ armor look less cheap.
Yeah, Immortals has its good points for sure and I will keep rewatching it every so often. I also wish they had gone further in certain fantastical elements. We are so starved on this front that I even rewatch Gods of Egypt too. :cwink:

Yeah, Immortals has its good points for sure and I will keep rewatching it every so often. I also wish they had gone further in certain fantastical elements. We are so starved on this front that I even rewatch Gods of Egypt too. :cwink:

Haha periodically I come across Gods of Egypt on some streaming service of another and I consider watching it. But I’m always like, nahhhh...

I occasionally see Gods of Egypt clips on my youtube recommend list, and. . . its weird, because the out of context clips kind of feel like they are trying to frame Set as the hero, or at least anti-hero, of the piece? Maybe its just me only half-knowing the plot of the movie.

Okay. Here's my take. It's dumb, but kind of fun and doesn't take itself too seriously. If this was made in the 1950s-1980s it would have been quite successful- and if you can put aside the controversy around the whitewashing issue and just see it as a piece of fantasy fiction, set in a mythical version of Egypt then it's enjoyable - a good way to kill a couple of hours of otherwise empty time.

Maybe I’ll give it a shot at some point. The whitewashing is the worst part but so much of it just looked TOO silly to sit through.

Then again, I just wasted four hours of my life on some other CGI spectacle trash, so...

Nope, can’t watch a movie called “Gods of Egypt” that stars a bunch of white people. Hollywood has no problem showing people of color be slaves, downtrodden, in gangs, terrorists and what not but when they have a chance to show them as Gods they decided to cast some white people instead yeah no.

Nope, can’t watch a movie called “Gods of Egypt” that stars a bunch of white people. Hollywood has no problem showing people of color be slaves, downtrodden, in gangs, terrorists and what not but when they have a chance to show them as Gods they decided to cast some white people instead yeah no.

Excellent point. It really is infuriating.

That's one way to look at it - but these kind of castings are kind of old news.

Of the Greek Mythology films mentioned here, how many have Greek actors in them ? Is that because Hollywood refuses to cast Greeks as gods or heroes ( even in stories about Greek Gods) ?

Hollywood has made a bunch of historical and biblical epics, not featuring any jewish actors in key jewish roles. Is that because Hollywood refuses to cast jewish actors in Jewish roles ? When was the last time you saw Jesus played by a jew ? John Legend was a great Jesus, btw, in Jesus Christ Superstar.

Hollywood probably makes casting decisions at least partly on which actors will result in a bigger box office return. I suggest that might have been a bigger factor in their casting of this film than a conscious bias against casting people of color as Gods. Honestly, I doubt the producers ever considered it as an opportunity to cast people of colour, probably never entered their minds - probably the same kind of thinking that got Laurence Olivier cast as Zeus back in 1981.

Also possibly why Idris Elba plays an Asgardian god God the Thor films, given that the Asgardians were based on North mythology it is highly unlikely that any versions of Heimdall were not caucasians - IMO Elba makes a great viking god.

Gods of Egypt also features Chadwick Boseman and Elodie Yung, both as gods.

There are plenty of reasons not to see this film - if the casting offends you, well that's your opinion and I can respect that, but it always surprises me how much the casting of a completely fantastic ( as in fantasy) film got people upset about it - rather than it not being a very good film. Interestingly my wife, who is a person of colour, actually enjoys it.

Last edited:
Once again I repeat “yeah no”.

Speaking of Chadwick, even he said he knew there would be controversy just from reading the script and that he was happy that there was.

You, your wife, and anyone else can love it all day long. As for me it’s a no. Hollywood needs to do better.

I don't insist that every actor has to be from the correct background ethnicity. . . but seriously, movies should at least pretend to care about looking right. If your casting an Egyptian deity, at least cast an actor who can plausibly pass as being from somewhere in the Mediterranean. Or if your making the kind of schlock where accuracy doesn't matter, don't then "coincidentally" cast 90% of the roles, and all the lead ones, as the most nordic white dudes you can find.

Ghost of Tsushima just got announced so Sony, you better be building up to God of War.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"