Gremlins Animated Series

Blitzkrieg

Avenger
Reaction score
'Gremlins' Animated Series in Development for WarnerMedia Streaming Service

Gremlins could be getting a new life on WarnerMedia's forthcoming streaming service.

The series would be a prequel to the films following Gizmo, the Mogwai at the center of the movies, and a young version of Mr. Wing (played by Keye Luke in the films) as they go on adventures in the years before Gizmo ends up in the care of Billy Peltz (Zach Galligan).

'Gremlins' Animated Prequel Comedy Picked Up to Series at Warner Streaming

After placing its Gremlins animated prequel comedy in development back in February, the unnamed Warner streamer has handed out a 10-episode series order for the adult-focused project.

Titled Gremlins: Secrets of the Mogwai, the series is set in Shanghai in the 1920s and reveals the story of how 10-year-old Sam Wing (future shop owner Mr. Wing in the 1984 feature film) met the young Mogwai called Gizmo. Along with a teenage street thief named Elle, Sam and Gizmo take a perilous journey through the Chinese countryside, encountering, and sometimes battling, colorful monsters and spirits from Chinese folklore. On their quest to return Gizmo to his family and uncover a legendary treasure, they are pursued by a power-hungry industrialist and his growing army of evil Gremlins.

'Gremlins: Secrets of the Mogwai' Update With Writer and Executive Producer Tze Chun

GVN: That is good, I am glad to hear that. Good to know everyone is doing well. I was going to ask you about Gremlins and since you brought it up, can you give us an update? As a fan of the film and growing up in the 80s, news of this project hit home and I am really looking forward to it.

TZE: Yeah. I could talk a little about Gremlins definitely.

GVN: Have you actually began the process of shooting the series? It is an animated series, correct?

TZE: That’s right. So it’s an animated series that we are doing with Warner Bros. Animation and Amblin for HBO Max. It tells the story of the old Chinese man, Mr. Wing, who runs the shop where Peltzer first gets Gizmo. He is kind of his protector and our show is actually an animated prequel that takes place in 1920s China. It follows young Mr. Wing when he was only 10 years old. He meets Gizmo and they go on adventures in China. It is a very serialized story. It is against the backdrop of Chinese mythology, that time period, with a lot of Mogwai mythology as well. It won’t premier until sometime in 2021 but we’re pretty deep in the process right now.

GVN: In the movies we only got to see Gizmo, of course you know he produces the Gremlins when he got wet. Will we see other forms of Mogwai? Will they have a totally different look than Gizmo did?

TZE: We will see evil Mogwai. But I think that is as much as I can say for right now. But what we really wanted to do was create more stories set in the Gremlins universe. We also wanted to service the fans . You know the fandom for Gremlins is so strong for movies that have been around for almost 40 years. We definitely have a lot of kind of Easter eggs and Gremlins mythology that hopefully will satisfy long term fans while also bringing in new fans. The idea is to this will be a co-viewing show. Some of the models that we are looking at are Pixar, studio Ghibli movies, things that adults, kids and teenagers can all watch together.

GVN: Will we see Howie Mandel return to voice Gizmo?

TZE: Howie Mandel is not returning to voice Gizmo. But we will have some casting announcements soon.

GVN: That sounds good. Thank you for giving us an update on Gremlins. Can you share any updates on actors from the original film that might make an appearance?

TZE: There is definitely going to be some exciting cameos from people. What has been really exciting is that Joe Dante is a consulting producer on the project. He looks at scripts, he looks at the artwork. It’s been really amazing. And I know that a lot of people on the crew and the writers are huge huge Gremlin fans. So it has been really great.

GVN: Can you say exactly what kind of art style you are going for? Is it all 3D generated or will it be normal animation? Are you going for a particular style?

TZE: We are doing a hybrid. They have been calling it kind of a 2.5D and also there is certain technical things that we are doing because we wanted a very cinematic look. For some of the references were movies like Goonies and Indiana Jones. We certainly want to move the camera in a cinematic way but we ant to try to get the best of both worlds. The show has a lot of heart, so I want to make sure that the acting is really excellent as well. In terms of animation, very early on the supervising producer and I talked a lot about creating a very organic look and making sure that it does not necessarily have that kind of CG look to it, even though there will be portions of it that are in CG. Some other visual references are Spirited Away.

A little disappointing that Howie Mandel isn’t voicing Gizmo but I guess he’s too busy.

It follows a 10-year-old Sam Wing & Gizmo journey through the Chinese countryside to return Gizmo to his family & uncover treasure.

Not sure about that plot.

Except that Gizmo never returns home to his family and he didn't seem to care much about leaving Mr. Wing in the original movie...

I would LOVE to see Howie Mandell come back to voice Gizmo or any of his Mogwai bretherin

no more official look, no release date…

Strange there’s no trailer since the first episode already played for some people.

Oh no, to be honest the original movie was *rap, don't want to know how a pc adaptation would look like

what the actual ****?
this looks like Dora the Explorer meets Kung Fu Panda

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"