Guillermo Del Toro’s Cabinet of Curiosities (Netflix Anthology)

The production values behind this show are insanely impressive and despite the different directors you can definitely see the GDT influence in almost every episode, especially when it comes to the creature design/effects.

Easily some of the best mix of practical and CGI I have seen in a while and while I didn't love every episode, I really hope we get another season because this kind of show would be a perfect watch around Halloween.

Just finished Autopsy and really liked it, especially the end. :)

Loved this series!

Hoping we get a series two next year

My favorite stories were Pickmans Model, Lot 36, Graveyard Rats and The Autopsy but none of the stories felt like a dud

Lot 36 and The Autopsy both had the most satisfying endings

Lot 36 for how loathsome the protagonist was and seeing him get what was coming to him and The Autopsy for having a strangely uplifting message about the ingenuity and bravery humans are capable of even when things look hopeless

As dark as the story was its message is an optimistic one.

Just finished Pickman's model. You can tell it was a Lovecraft story, lol. So creepy good!

Just finished Pickman's model. You can tell it was a Lovecraft story, lol. So creepy good!

I liked how it also turned the ideas of Lovecraft's work on their head

Lovecraft's stories are all about our fear of the unknown which isn't surprising since he was a man who was scared of anyone and everything different from himself as a middle class white man in 1900's America

But basically everything bad that happens in this story is because of Thurber's viscerally violent and fearful reaction to Pickman's work. Pickman isn't some monster out to harm others he's just an artist who loves his work and wants to share it with people.

Pickman seems to be completely naive of the effect his work has on some people, he's just drawing what's normal to him. He doesn't even bear any ill will to Thurber, he regards him as a friend. His worst traits are that he's a little clingy and bad at reading social cues. If Thurber had just talked to Pickman instead of going directly into "THE MONSTER MUST DIE!" mode he probably could have avoided everything but instead he murdered the guy and enraged his family who took their revenge and he may have triggered the apocalypse to boot

The Viewing was boring. :(

I liked The Autopsy but just stopped after that, didn't really care for the first two. Need to watch the Panos Cosmatos and Jennifer Kent episodes, at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"