• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Happy Death Day 2U | Universal

This is seriously underperforming this weekend. Good thing it didn’t cost them much. Shame since I heard they wanted to do a trilogy. Guess that won’t happen.

Yeah, it's a lot of girl power opening this weekend between this, Alita and Isn't It Romantic. Somebody has to fall on the sword.

I liked it, maybe a little more than the first one. The move from a slasher-comedy to a comedy/sci-fi with a smidge of slasher was probably a good move, because I couldn't see them filling a second film with the same concept and not changing the direction of the story. However with that being said, I would have preferred more horror in this film because I feel that was missing. About 2/3 of this minus any threats of murder, its just Tree and friends trying to solve the time loop. Still, its a fun little date movie especially if you see it with a crowd. And the concept is good enough for a third film, seems like they have one already set up.

Sad to see this not doing well this weekend. Was hoping for a third.

This not doing well for Blumhouse was still profitable. They still made their money back and Landon has a strong relationship with Blumhouse. They can still make a 3rd film.

It'll be profitable for sure, but I don't think a third film is viable enough. If the second dropped this much off the first film (14.7M 4-day for the second compared to a 26M 3-day for the first), a third would drop even more is how they would see it.

HDD2U's final total will barely pass the original's opening weekend. That's a huge drop for a well reviewed sequel to a well liked movie.

Maybe ditching the sci-fi horror slasher aspect in favor of more comedy backfired or maybe Russian Doll (Netflix) stole it's thunder with the Groundhog day concept.

How many direct slasher sequels do well though (Scream 2 notwithstanding).

I caught this last night, 11:00 pm showing. It was a decent follow up to the first, I dare say it was actually better than the first. I was expecting to be annoyed and bored by the repetitive replay.

I liked it. Got a bit sappy near the middle but picked up from there quickly to deliver a satisfying conclusion.

Jessica Rothe is so fricking beautiful :ilv:

Her dying montage with the Paramore song (Hard Times) is awesome as hell. The song is a bop and I'm listening to it on a loop. I'm stuck :shock It won't stop :shock

A lot of celebrities are doing this now when they wouldn't have before

Well, before they were busy working, as well as trying to maintain a personal life. They're not our dance monkeys.

Now they can afford to do it because a. Most aren't working, b. They're having plenty of time for their personal life.

I really fail to understand that kind of cynisism towards actors and filmmakers. They do their jobs, which is acting, directing, writing, producing, etc. Aside from that it's not really up to them to make people "feel special" or loved.

If they do that, that's fine and cool (some are more comfortable interacting with fans than others), but I don't condemn those people who just want to work on movies, promote them and then live their lives, instead of having to pretend to be your special celebrity online friends.

Last edited:
Well, before they were busy working, as well as trying to maintain a personal life. They're not our dance monkeys.

Now they can afford to do it because a. Most aren't working, b. They're having plenty of time for their personal life.

I really fail to understand that kind of cynisism towards actors and filmmakers. They do their jobs, which is acting, directing, writing, producing, etc. Aside from that it's not really up to them to make people "feel special" or loved.

If they do that, that's fine and cool (some are more comfortable interacting with fans than others), but I don't condemn those people who just want to work on movies, promote them and then live their lives, instead of having to pretend to be your special celebrity online friends.
I agree but a lot of them wouldn't do this even if they had the time. you have your good ones and you have your *******s basically.

I really liked the first movie. I'm more of a fan of the repeating time concept than slasher films, so this is actually my favorite slasher movie, and up pretty high among horror movies in general. The second one I thought was too split between
the parallel universes aspect
(not sure if that's a spoiler, but whatever) and the repeating time aspect, and I didn't think it did either one justice. I'd be interested in a third one if they were to actually do it.

Yeah, the first had the nice balance between 90s slasher and comedic time travel. The second just became a full blown spoof.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"