• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Harvey Dent/Two-Face Thread

Considering we got so much of his Long Halloween arc in TDK (not to mention how much of TLH there was in The Batman) would anyone be opposed to Harvey’s disfigurement being something that happened pre-The Batman/pre-sequel.

I just feel like we don’t really need to see Harvey’s fall again.
It’s not likely to go down that way since Matt is taking his time with Oz, Selina, Joker. I don’t get how he’d slow burn everyone else but rush Harvey just because another movie presented the character one way. That doesn’t seem organic to me. It also cuts off an audience’s connection to Harvey Dent if you just speed toward the main event.

Most organic way to do it while staying away from Nolan’s formula is you have the guy come into the story with a handful of scenes. That’s it.

He’s a good looking dude, dark hair, cleaner cut than Eckhart, he likes Bruce Wayne, maybe his wife Gilda is pregnant, he looks fine but mentally something is off in a scene or two. Bruce goes back to Alfred with worry. Oz sets up the attack at the end. He might even know about his mental health and is using it against him like Rupert Thorne in BTAS. The attack doesn’t happen in a courtroom. Harv’s not tied up to any barrels. No Maroni. Third movie skips the hospital period like we see in TDK. It just gets to the point with Two Face fully formed.

Shauner if you’re so into Harvey having dark hair then why do you want Austin butler in the role?

I would rather keep the actors natural hair color tbh

Harvey Dent's hair color could not mean less to me.

I think a good path to make Harvey's fall different from TDK was to making him a long-time friend of Bruce. That'd be great.
that would be so cool and could make his downfall more depressing knowing that he was Bruce's only friend growing up and that he lost him forever

I just don't think the actor would need to dye their hair if they are cast! Blonde, red hair, whatever

Casting will be very interesting, that I know for sure. In Reeves I trust.

It’s not likely to go down that way since Matt is taking his time with Oz, Selina, Joker.
But the thing about that is that all those characters are more or less already in their villain/anti-hero persona when we meet them. And IMO, that’s the part of Harvey Dent that needs the most expansion considering how he was a borderline Joker clone in Batman Forever and burned bright and fast in TDK. Digging into Two-Face strikes me as more interesting than going over the district attorney preamble again.

But the thing about that is that all those characters are more or less already in their villain/anti-hero persona when we meet them. And IMO, that’s the part of Harvey Dent that needs the most expansion considering how he was a borderline Joker clone in Batman Forever and burned bright and fast in TDK. Digging into Two-Face strikes me as more interesting than going over the district attorney preamble again.
So do you mean he’s already scarred but not yet a gangster? Meaning, he’s where? Arkham I guess?

K but what if it’s more like, he’s the DA, he’s not physically scarred but you see this handsome dude struggle with this duel personality.

If you begin with him scarred, it’s going to be hard to develop that character and try to paint this picture to the audience that he was once this District Attorney fighting crime without showing it. That kinda feels like something Snyder would do with Two Face next to Batfleck. I prefer the BTAS way for this universe. You see a handsome fella losing his mind, being embarrassed, trying to hide it before acid is thrown in his face.

I have no interest in seeing Harvey Dent's downfall.

I really don’t see Harvey suddenly popping up in a movie with half his face f’d up without any build up. Unless he’s cast in the Penguin show or they pull off one hell of a long and detailed opening credits that shows what happened to Gotham over the last year since the flood. And there’s a ton of focus on this young DA rising and falling, all in the span of a few minutes.

I'd rather no Two-Face then doing Dark Knight again

if Matt were to introduce Harvey i'd like for him to appear in the Penguin show first. and have his downfall at the end of the movie he would later appear in. and you gotta make him and bruce friends.

I don't really see how you can introduce Harvey Dent as an idealistic DA who gradually succumbs to corruption and vengeance without it seeming like Dark Knight all over again.

I don't really see how you can introduce Harvey Dent as an idealistic DA who gradually succumbs to corruption and vengeance without it seeming like Dark Knight all over again.
Particularly when there's a 50/50 chance it'll be in a film featuring Joker as the big bad.

Maybe the other side of his personality controls Harvey and doesn’t care about “vengeance”. The original thing to do on film would be for handsome Harv to show his violent, f’d up side. Half of him is corrupt even as the DA, and the other half is squeaky clean. That hasn’t happened before. The scarring would just cement his look.

There’s two ways to go about it. Two-Face completely controlled by the evil side 24/7, with his loved ones trying to pull the good Harvey back in. Or Harv operating with both sides playing a tug of war from scene to scene. Again, we haven’t seen this. It’s always so one dimensional in the Burton/Schumacher/Nolan movies. It’s like he’s only a good handsome DA or when he’s scarred, he’s the heel out for vengeance. There’s no in between.

Particularly when there's a 50/50 chance it'll be in a film featuring Joker as the big bad.
The origin that Eddie is talking about would be the sequel, not the third.

I don’t know why everyone assumes there’s a high chance of Joker being the big bad of the third movie. With a Joker Part 2 coming out several months prior to the next Batman film, I doubt Barry’s Joker will be set up to be the main villain in any Reeves project this decade. I don’t think he sees Joker that way. Not for his take, where he wants to be fresh. The Joker could be one of several villains at the end of his trilogy. That’s why he keeps mentioning different characters in the press. “There’s many stories i’d like to tell”. None of these rogues need to be a main villain unless the story calls for it. As long as they exist, it should be fine.

There's simply no way WB would let Reeves make a Batman series without a movie where Joker is the main villain.

If you think that, you don't understand how major studio filmmaking works.

You don’t understand Matt Reeves then. He’s not going to write a whole story around something he doesn’t believe in. He’ll walk before he does that. Not everyone is a push over in that business.

I don't think WB is going to force Reeves to make Joker be the main villain. Especially since he's got his own movie series now, albeit with a different actor in an entirely different universe. Besides that, we've seen four actors play the character in films over the past 15 years. Not saying that there's fatigue exactly since he is and probably always will be the most popular villain in comics but it's very different from the time leading up to TDK where he hadn't appeared in a film in nearly 20 years so there was more of a demand for the character. I saw The Batman on opening night in a packed theater and his appearance at the end didn't exactly hype up the crowd compared to the Joker card tease at the end of Begins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"