Heavy Rain - Light info appears and two vague screenshots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think this could be the worst PS3 exclusive but hey, it could be the next Metal Gear
worst PS3 exclusive? Guess you havent touched Lair or Haze? LOL. I have high hopes for Heavy Rain. Absolutely loved Indigo Prophecy and it seems as if they are learning from their mistakes there and improving upon it

worst PS3 exclusive? Guess you havent touched Lair or Haze? LOL. I have high hopes for Heavy Rain. Absolutely loved Indigo Prophecy and it seems as if they are learning from their mistakes there and improving upon it
I love indigo prophecy, but what mistakes did they made with that game?? :huh:

I love indigo prophecy, but what mistakes did they made with that game?? :huh:
Main problem was that it had a very interesting and engaging story that fell apart in the last 3rd of the game. It felt rushed and the scifi twist was a letdown

Main problem was that it had a very interesting and engaging story that fell apart in the last 3rd of the game. It felt rushed and the scifi twist was a letdown
So heavy rain is going to be more Realistic. Thats cool !! I wish they made more games like this. I heard a game called policenauts was kind of like a interactive movie, but I cant find that game. Do you know any other games like Indigo prophecy? I will appreciated if anyone replys to my question. Sorry for going off topic.

Supposedly this is because the game was supposed to be a prologue to a continued episodic series, but their funding got cut down and they had to condense the episodic stuff and tack it on to the end of the game.

Supposedly.

So heavy rain is going to be more Realistic. Thats cool !! I wish they made more games like this. I heard a game called policenauts was kind of like a interactive movie, but I cant find that game. Do you know any other games like Indigo prophecy? I will appreciated if anyone replys to my question. Sorry for going off topic.

These are some fairly similar games that came out during the same period.

Syberia
Syberia II
Dreamfall: The Longest Journey

Yep, just like crappy ol' Indigo Prophecy. :(

The game is not for everyone. Do you enjoy movies? This is an interactive movie. You don’t like the game play, then stick to kill zone 2. Kill zone 2 is the best FPS out there, but I got quickly bored of it, because it’s really no different from hallo 3, and the rest of FPS. Like the sport games that come out every year, it’s all the same, with just a few tweaks here, and there. Some people enjoy running on the treadmill, I enjoy running outside.

Well I at least hope that is only a small element of the game. I mean I understand it looks like it is heavily relying on story and characters but they also have to keep in mind IT IS A VIDEOGAME. I don't want something that relies on me pressing buttons in the right order.

Exactly it’s a VIDEO game! How boring would it be if every game was made up to your own interpretation of what a video game should be. I’m defending originality. I’m sick of all the shoot em up, hand to hand fighting games, How about an intense interactive story?

Last edited:
Damn, saw this got thread got revived, hoping there might be some new info on the game

Supposedly this is because the game was supposed to be a prologue to a continued episodic series, but their funding got cut down and they had to condense the episodic stuff and tack it on to the end of the game.

Supposedly.

I hadn't heard that or anything, but after Heavy Rain I believe the plan is to start on a direct sequel to IP. Though that makes sense.

So heavy rain is going to be more Realistic.

Well, I think it's fair to say that nobody really knows at this point. We've only had two videos, one in-game and one cinematic, and both were confirmed to not actually be in the game. Was to show off gameplay and one to show off graphics. I do believe they said there wouldn't be any sci-fi-like devices, but as far as I know, there isn't a drop of legit info on it.

Oh, goody, I hope we get a lot of new info. We won't, but I hope

Does this game have a tentative release date? Is this suppoosed to come out later this year? Next year?

http://www.1up.com/do/minisite?cId=3174272

1UP has a minisite up dedicated to the game. Even day up until the 22nd something will unlock. Nothing much to it really, it seems. We're promised a teaser of the game, the rest is related to QD Past & Future.

EDIT: Also, looking over the page I see on the 22nd we're promised a Hands-On preview with in-game footage. I wonder if it's going to be stuff that's actually in the game, or be stuff just to show off gameplay, but not actually be in the final version like the last gameplay footage

Last edited:
Ok, I just got finished watched the feature on Heavy Rain on GTTV. This is, by far, the most info we've seen for the game.

To start, the script for this game is apparently a massive 2,000+ words. We have two characters confirmed: Norman Jayden, a FBI investigator, and Madison Page, a reporter (She was the character from the demo reel).

One level was demoed on the show, a scene with Jayden as he investigates a junk yard owned by one mad black dude. Here we see the prompt system. It definitely looks like an evolved version of IP's system to me. When he has Mad Jack corner we see 5 or 6 options pop up for what to do all kind of chaotically scattered around him to signify his cluttered mind. It seems the emphasis is much more on speed then IP here. There was a part where he fought Mad Jack, and it seemed to me to be faster then IP. It might have just been the video.

Now, here's a very interesting tidbit. They've hit on this a little before, but there is no 'Game Over' in this game. When a character dies, you go to the next story of the next character and how and when the last character dies directly effects the story of the next character in line. Now, here's something that was interesting to me; when asked by Geoff if these stories happened simultaneously or in real time and if the characters path story would intercede and the guy kind of danced around it. Not sure if I misunderstand, but I kind of got the impression that the stories may end up happening in different time periods. That would make sense has to how dying with one character could effect the others, like he did or didn't get to do something that has major impacts on the future or something. Once again I may be reading too much in that, but it's a cool idea either way. The video at E3 will be focused on Madison, and possibly a reveal of the other two character

They talked that the game will be able to be stretched to your preference. If you wish, you can easily do the game in 4-6 hours, but you can also explore everything and touch on every little subplot to extend the game significantly. Replayability was something they stressed, for example, you can finish Jayden's story, but replay again to see how the other stories was effected by him dying at a certain point, say the Mad Jack part. Looks of possibilities if this ends up being accurate.

We were promised a game that 'pushed the limits' of the M-rating. Sex, violence, nudity, language, blah, blah, blah, blah. Either way, the game looked gorgeous.

Now, here is the not so good news. On the show that announced the game as coming out "next year". Now, to note, it was Geoff who said this, but it sounds to me that this will end up being a '10 title after all. Good footage, I would recommend checking it out when it comes up on GT's website

Last edited:
Yea i caught that same thing on GTTV and, maybe i just dont know a good game when i see it, but color me extremely unimpressed based off of that preview. I also did not see what it is everyone is drooling over. The game looked good, but i still think Metal Gear Solid 4 looks better, from that preview at least(thats prob due to Spikes s****y reception). I love "QTE's" and i think more cinematic experiences like MGS4 would be better for the industry, but something about this isn't clicking with me. Maybe its how the story is interwoven with 4 ppl? Like if it was just the FBI agent trying to solve the murder, maybe id be more interested? Ill keep my eye on this, but imo, this isn't anything to really jump up and down for.

Yea i caught that same thing on GTTV and, maybe i just dont know a good game when i see it, but color me extremely unimpressed based off of that preview. I also did not see what it is everyone is drooling over. The game looked good, but i still think Metal Gear Solid 4 looks better, from that preview at least(thats prob due to Spikes s****y reception). I love "QTE's" and i think more cinematic experiences like MGS4 would be better for the industry, but something about this isn't clicking with me. Maybe its how the story is interwoven with 4 ppl? Like if it was just the FBI agent trying to solve the murder, maybe id be more interested? Ill keep my eye on this, but imo, this isn't anything to really jump up and down for.

All the characters are trying to solve the case of the Origami Killer in some case or fashion. One the things that's was so interesting about IP was the different perspectives you took throughout the game. I think the graphics looked incredible, it may not blow away MGS4 or KZ2, but they still look pretty amazing, just look up the casting video. For the first 5-10 seconds when it's somewhat blurry I thought it was live action.

And, I'm trying not to sound to critical of you here, but I honestly don't understand what you're saying. I get that the story aspect isn't interesting you, but you're a fan of QTEs and more cinematic gaming and you weren't impressed by that aspect of what was shown on that show? I mean that looked like the perfect example of both of those things, I just really don't understand that.

Yeah, I watched it too and I was pretty impressed. I really enjoyed Indigo Prophecy and I wish there were more games like this out there. Anyway I'm very much looking forward to this one. :up:

Yeah, I watched it too and I was pretty impressed. I really enjoyed Indigo Prophecy and I wish there were more games like this out there. Anyway I'm very much looking forward to this one. :up:

Ditto. I'm a little bummed that we probably won't be seeing this until 2010. It was probably my second or third most anticipated game as of right now. Oh well, this year has already a lot of titles I plan on getting, so an extra 60 saved for next year I suppose

And, I'm trying not to sound to critical of you here, but I honestly don't understand what you're saying. I get that the story aspect isn't interesting you, but you're a fan of QTEs and more cinematic gaming and you weren't impressed by that aspect of what was shown on that show? I mean that looked like the perfect example of both of those things, I just really don't understand that.

You and me both. I'm scratching my head trying to figure out why I'm not all over this. I think it has to be the fact that I'm playing as 4 different ppl. For me, i play video games because i want to see myself in that situation, its why i tend to play more realistic type games, and games where i can see myself, in some form as the main character. I don't know, call me crazy, but thats usually how i go about my games. Its why i generally stay away from games that are more cartoonish or overly fantastical, its why i also don't usually play games with a female lead, i just don't see myself as that character.

With this title, and the switching from character to character, it feels as tho i might lose that immersion that i get from the games i play, i dont know. I still plan to keep an eye on this tho.

You and me both. I'm scratching my head trying to figure out why I'm not all over this. I think it has to be the fact that I'm playing as 4 different ppl. For me, i play video games because i want to see myself in that situation, its why i tend to play more realistic type games, and games where i can see myself, in some form as the main character. I don't know, call me crazy, but thats usually how i go about my games. Its why i generally stay away from games that are more cartoonish or overly fantastical, its why i also don't usually play games with a female lead, i just don't see myself as that character.

With this title, and the switching from character to character, it feels as tho i might lose that immersion that i get from the games i play, i dont know. I still plan to keep an eye on this tho.

I guess I kind of understand what you are getting here, but I mean, I know you like RE5 and MGS4, I mean do you see a little of yourself in Solid Snake and Chris Redfield lol?

I guess I kind of understand what you are getting here, but I mean, I know you like RE5 and MGS4, I mean do you see a little of yourself in Solid Snake and Chris Redfield lol?

YES, YES i do!

Don't tell me you're an expertly trained stealth master who also happens to have arms so big that it looks like you've been working the Bowflex for 8 straight years 0_0

Don't tell me you're an expertly trained stealth master who also happens to have arms so big that it looks like you've been working the Bowflex for 8 straight years 0_0

Haha, noope, cant say that, haha.

Its not that i see myself in that character, but a version of myself in that situation. I used to write fiction alot and id use myself and friends in these situations that we would never, ever find ourselves in. I actually wrote something similar to Uncharted before Uncharted ever came out, altho at the time i was thinking more of Indiana Jones at the time, but thats something else entirely.

Pics.

theylive.jpg

12.jpg

15.jpg

10.jpg

8.jpg

More at the link.
http://kotaku.com/5265609/heavy-rain-the-screenshots

Gameplay Video.

http://kotaku.com/5265527/finally-some-heavy-rain-gameplay-footage

Status
Not open for further replies.