Hellboy Hellboy: Rise of the Blood Queen

Nope. Who the heck wants to be at that movie's level? But At least with Punisher War Zone I laughed most of the time and I didn't hate the punisher (at least i don't remember hating him). This had so many amateurish writing and edit decisions and had so many unlikable and annoying characters i wanted to rip my eyes and ears out. Including Hellboy himself. About half way through i said "God could you shut up!", a little louder than i should have. They really overdid it with the whining and the tell but never truly show aspect of him being an outsider.

Milla Jovovich Slams Hellboy Critics, Says It’ll Become A Cult Classic

So she thinks this will become another Rocky Horror Picture Show or the Room of comic book movies then? Maybe she's hoping for a Punisher War Zone type of reception but there's no way that's happening. :funny:
Well she does have a point that some of her films go on to cult success despite bad reviews.
I don't think that will happen with this, but what do I know. And I haven't seen the movie

But at least she didn't say critics were out to get the movie.
“This was made for the fans” is the lamest defense against bad reviews. You’re basically insulting the “fans” that they will blindly accept garbage.
Yeah I hate that. It's such a cop out and when someone says that I know they know that what they produced was truly bad. And I agree that it is insulting.
Yeah... since when did Punisher: War Zone become a darling cult film? I must have missed that. It's completely forgettable.
In my travels I've seen it gain a bit of a cult following. A bit.
And I'm not part of that bit

Yeah... since when did Punisher: War Zone become a darling cult film? I must have missed that. It's completely forgettable.
The rocket launcher scene is the only thing people seem to ever bring up from it. :funny:

Milla Jovovich Slams Hellboy Critics, Says It’ll Become A Cult Classic

So she thinks this will become another Rocky Horror Picture Show or the Room of comic book movies then? Maybe she's hoping for a Punisher War Zone type of reception but there's no way that's happening. :funny:

And Hellboy creator Mike Mignola also responded to the film's negative critical reviews

This is a fallacy. A lot of critics are actually fans themselves(either of the previous movies or the original comics), If he means fans who aren't critics than it seems all hope is lost: The movie doesn't seem to be clicking much with general audiences as evidenced by its abysmal Cinemascore of 'C' which is barely better than Fan4stic's 'C-'.
From the woman known for starring in the Resident Evil series...

GDT's Hellboy films are cult classics.

To be fair those RE films made a good chunk of change

Who knows maybe it will become a cult film...

I've only seen the clips and trailers so far but from what I can tell there probably will be some scenes in it that are so bad they're memorable... It's pretty outlandish and over the top and can see how it would be a turn-off.

This type of film may've done well in the 90's but now with so many superhero films out not to mention streaming it just isn't going to get a whole lot of attention especially as most general audience probably either roll their eyes or just get sort of dismissive upon hearing the superhero is Hellboy.

The dialogue from what little I've witnessed seems pretty awful but this is countered by over the top violence and scenes that can sure get under people's skin I think so sort of makes it akin to a Troma level film to a degree only with a lot of good actors involved with excellent makeup and set decoration.

.....and you were right.

Just saw it, and it was alot of fun. Having seen both Dog Soldiers, The Descent, and Doomsday, this had the tone I was already expecting from Neil Marshall, and I think it worked well. More grit than (Del Toro's) elegance. This is indeed akin to Army of Darkness and Big Trouble In Little China in alot of ways, such as the humor and the element of danger. It has a very "pulpy" feel, ala H.P. Lovecraft, Karl Edward Wagner, and Michael Moorcock, of which I have such delight for.

David Harbour absolutely nails the title role. He effectively carried the film. Ian McShane brings a little more "tough love" to Broom, but love nonetheless. Milla Jovovich is pretty effective as Nimue.

Yes, there are clunky workings on this, for sure, like some of the exposition and at times the movie feeling rushed, but these things did not impede from my overall enjoyment of this film. I think what Marshall did with this film on a $50 million budget is quite admirable(hence I can overlook some of the iffy cgi). An R-rated comicbook movie of this sort, that isn't DC or Marvel, is something I totally appreciate. I do also think, like Big Trouble In Little China, Hellboy(2019) will eventually become more appreciated.

All I want now is an animated series (on netflix or whatever), starring Ron Perlman as Hellboy, that could possibly showcase some of Del Toro's ideas for the third movie.

It's the only way I see Hellboy being even slightly commercially viable for YEARS to come. A shame really.

I hate reading those quotes from people involved in big productions that are terrible and terribly reviewed and dismiss all the criticisms and hand wave it all away. Maybe just accept you made a *****y movie and do better next time if you get a next time?

I like the Josh Trank approach, sure saying it tanked his career but he never was dishonest about making a terrible movie and studio interference. But hey, he's on the upswing again! All his tweets candidly joking at his expense about Fant4stic these days are great.

I do like Punisher: War Zone, granted I never saw it until a few months ago. It's stupid hyperviolent action schlock. Pretty sure the cinematography influenced the Netflix Daredevil show pretty directly, swear I read that somewhere.

I hate reading those quotes from people involved in big productions that are terrible and terribly reviewed and dismiss all the criticisms and hand wave it all away. Maybe just accept you made a *****y movie and do better next time if you get a next time?

I like the Josh Trank approach, sure saying it tanked his career but he never was dishonest about making a terrible movie and studio interference. But hey, he's on the upswing again! All his tweets candidly joking at his expense about Fant4stic these days are great.

I do like Punisher: War Zone, granted I never saw it until a few months ago. It's stupid hyperviolent action schlock. Pretty sure the cinematography influenced the Netflix Daredevil show pretty directly, swear I read that somewhere.

.....and boy did that movie get torn by critics and also most posters here at SHH back then when it came out as I recall. Even the notion that it would be more praised in the coming years as a cult classic seemed absurd and laughable by posters.

.....and boy did that movie get torn by critics and also most posters here at SHH back then when it came out as I recall. Even the notion that it would be more praised in the coming years as a cult classic seemed absurd and laughable by posters.
This movie is similarly hyperviolent and "gross." I think the thing with War Zone is Lexi Alexander got her vision on the screen and knew what she wanted out of that movie, and she's still proud of it today. What we've heard of this movie's production seems to indicate it was a messy time with competing visions, similar to Fant4stic's production in terms of being all over the place with the driving forces behind the lens. Time will tell, I'll eventually subject myself to this one I'm sure lol!

This movie is similarly hyperviolent and "gross." I think the thing with War Zone is Lexi Alexander got her vision on the screen and knew what she wanted out of that movie, and she's still proud of it today. What we've heard of this movie's production seems to indicate it was a messy time with competing visions, similar to Fant4stic's production in terms of being all over the place with the driving forces behind the lens. Time will tell, I'll eventually subject myself to this one I'm sure lol!

True, although she did regret Lionsgate taking control over the final cut of the film. There were also creative decision-conflicts.

Last edited:
You are treating the movie like it is The Big Lebowski, Donnie Darko, the Evil Dead, Spinal Tap, etc. It isn't even the Room, which is legend for being really bad. :funny:

You are treating the movie like it is The Big Lebowski, Donnie Darko, the Evil Dead, Spinal Tap, etc. It isn't even the Room, which is legend for being really bad. :funny:
Well, I don't know about The Big Lebowski, Donnie Darko, or Spinal Tap, but I think it's not far off from being spoken in the same breadth as the Evil Dead films.

Pattom Oswalt could have lengthy talk with you about its potential cult status.:cwink:

.....oh, and according to Doctor Strange- director Scott Derrickson, "It struck a tone that was really perfect for the character and the style of it was unexpectedly artful and specific. When I saw Daredevil I thought, ‘Wow, that looks a lot like Lexi’s movie.’ People made such a big deal about Logan when it came out and the rating…Punisher: War Zonewasn’t just a hard, R-rated, ultra-violent movie but it was in service of a hard, R-rated, ultra-violent comic.”

Last edited:
I think its very unlikely that this version of Hellboy goes down as a cult classic. From what I've seen so far from the critical reactions the film seems to be too much in the shadow of the much better liked Del Toro movies. If anything, its legacy might be more as a missed opportunity(the project originally began as a third installment with Del Toro attached to direct before they decided to reboot) than a movie that's panned but then positively reassessed later.

....And we know how forgettable this Hellboy is since we've moved onto debating Punisher: Warzone, a ten-year-old movie that only comic book fans remember or care about.

I think its very unlikely that this version of Hellboy goes down as a cult classic. From what I've seen so far from the critical reactions the film seems to be too much in the shadow of the much better liked Del Toro movies. If anything, its legacy might be more as a missed opportunity(the project originally began as a third installment with Del Toro attached to direct before they decided to reboot) than a movie that's panned but then positively reassessed later.

This was basically the same case with Return To Oz, and yet that movie went on to be considered a much praised cult favorite.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"