Help Me - I am just getting back into Batman comic books....

Yes, I totally agree about Gotham City Sirens, Paul Dini has just lost so much of my respect. Why can't he be like Frank Miller, who wouldn't DREAM of engaging in "disgusting sexual perversion" of awesome female characters.

Ah, I guess we can't all be blessed with Miller's talent ;)

Alright, here's the honest scoop on the Millerverse (Note: Does not include Year One since that is considered canon). Read them in order of when they were published and then move onto the next if you could stomach the previous. That means:

The Dark Knight Returns
then
The Dark Knight Strikes Again
then
Allstar Batman and Robin the Boy Wonder
1278175279640.jpg

Why would you do that to him? Maybe he'll like the supposedly deep :-)whatever:) All-Star, but Strikes is just abysmal.
... and as has already been mentioned, he hasn't read TDKR yet. I couldn't in good conscience recommended Allstar to someone who hasn't already read AND enjoyed TDKR.

Edit: Writing this up on my PS3 so by the time I responded you made another post.
TDKR is a good story about future Bruce Wayne. Its a bit Miller-esque, but its good. Strikes and All-Star are basically Miller unleashed. He simply doesnt give a crap and just writes crazy ****.

As for "the Long Halloween" and "Dark Victory", they are both overly long and overly boring. You want to read about an overly convoluted detective story that Batman doesnt even solve? Read TLH. You want to read a boring story where Batman fights the mob and nothing exciting happens? Read DV. They are overrated as all hell!

SchumacherFan, I suggest you read "Heart of Hush" because Dini actually fixed the character and because at the end of it Hush's status changes and it all plays very well to Bruce's death in Final Crisis. I'm trying not to spoil the ending for you.

When someone says something is overrated, that means you should read it for yourself. Cuz a lot of people liked it, except the dude that says it was Overrated. Maybe you will agree with him, but it's more likely that you wont.

As overrated as I feel Hush is, people liked it. So, read it for yourself.

I wouldn't recommend Gotham City Sirens. It's just a disgusting sexual perversion of 3 awesome female characters. Paul Dini seriously went low when starting that book.

Are some overused butt shots in the first three issues really 'disgusting sexual perversion'. Like, for real? That's ridiculous, it wasn't that bad at all.

People use the term disgusting incorrectly if you ask me. A well toned ass is not disgusting. A well toned ass taking a poo? Disgusting.

Are some overused butt shots in the first three issues really 'disgusting sexual perversion'. Like, for real? That's ridiculous, it wasn't that bad at all.

It was very bad because you'd think Paul Dini would have more respect for his own creation Harley. :p Honestly it was just so awful with the art.

It probably wasn't even him as much the artist taking liberties with some shots to show butt. It wasn't even that bad anyway, and got toned down a lot as the series went on.

Paul Dini left his stinky mark on that comic and noone seems toc are about the title anymore... Same goes for Streets of Gotham. :p

I really like the Gotham City Sirens comic book

Yeah, I do, too. It's been a fun book, but I'm not sure how long I'm going to keep with it now that the creative teams seems to be going into an endless flux.

GCC's biggest problem is it lacks any concrete direction or like creative drive. It just feels like filler issue after filler issue. There's very little character progression, very little meaningful change that happens to anyone in the issues...every issue seems to be the type of issue someone writes when they have nothing more interesting to write about.

Yeah, I do, too. It's been a fun book, but I'm not sure how long I'm going to keep with it now that the creative teams seems to be going into an endless flux.

The lack of a regular creative team is pretty annoying

I do not think it will make me drop it though

GCC's biggest problem is it lacks any concrete direction or like creative drive. It just feels like filler issue after filler issue. There's very little character progression, very little meaningful change that happens to anyone in the issues...every issue seems to be the type of issue someone writes when they have nothing more interesting to write about.
I agree.

As for the art, i think that DC knows that sexiness sells more books so it must be an editorial mandate, but we all know that Dini is a little pervert himself. I'd have no problem with it if the book had a story to tell, but it feels like it only exists for cheesecake.

Eh, I've enjoyed the stories well enough. There's not been any huge, event-ish stuff happen in it, but I take it more as kind of an 'just telling stories' kind of thing. There's not been a huge amount of progression or overlapping storytelling, but we have got some interesting moments with the characters (Harley's family visit, Selina's fight with her sister), and I like that Dini has grounded Ivy from the psycho nymphomaniac murderer she seemed to become (admittedly, making her an out and out anti-hero is little much, but at least she doesn't seem as self parodying grimdark as some of the stuff before felt like).

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"