• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

"Heroes" and "LOST": Connections?

I see how people might think they exist in the same world. Yet Heroes takes place in its own world. I never got into Lost but it looks interesting though this theory doesn't hold up. The line Nathan said was proably him saying sci fi and comic book cliches.

You guys are distorting the original point of what was posted.

It was never implied that both series took place in the same universe. The REAL question was: "Did Nathan made a LOST reference" when he told that, if they found out about 'em, they would "gather 'em up, maybe put 'em on an island".

From my POV, Nathan was just making a pop culture reference inside the series.

I don't think it was anything more than a clever shot out to the show.

i don't think it was anything more than what it was
since when did putting people on an island AUTOMATICALLY mean LOST?
the idea was around long before the TV show

I still haven't seen anyone explain how the one word 'island' indicates Lost, when the entire description in context practically defines Genosha.

You guys are distorting the original point of what was posted.

It was never implied that both series took place in the same universe. The REAL question was: "Did Nathan made a LOST reference" when he told that, if they found out about 'em, they would "gather 'em up, maybe put 'em on an island".

From my POV, Nathan was just making a pop culture reference inside the series.

I got it, I don't watch Lost but I know what its basically about. Kring proably means it as a pop culture thing. But some people might see something more.

I still haven't seen anyone explain how the one word 'island' indicates Lost, when the entire description in context practically defines Genosha.

Tim Kring doesn't reads comics.
Tim Kring is a friend of LOST's writers.
PERIOD.

PERIOD.

Kring's the creator and exec producer; it's not like he's doing a JMS and writing the whole thing himself.

From the writing staff:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=9817

Q: Heroes has made reference a couple of times now to the TV show “Lost.” A pseudo-crossover, if you will. Gannon Car Rentals was featured first on “Lost” in an episode showing Hurley’s back story, we believe, and a brochure for Gannon appeared in a recent episode of “Heroes.” Then, of course, Nathan Petrelli made some comment about assembling all the superpowered folk and sending them to a deserted island. So, what’s the story behind this cross-over? Should we be keeping an eye out for more? Or was the island comment a reference to Muir Island from the X-Men universe?

A: Or could it be to another island in the X-men universe? Whoever said Genosha gets two points.

PERIOD.

That's ******ed. The show is centered around comic book themes and concepts; one generic word does not qualify as an Easter egg.

Where's my two points??:hyper:

http://www.thetailsection.com/

With all the comparisons (favorable and non) between Heroes and LOST these days, I was pretty surprised to learn exactly how much influence the LOST gang had over Heroes. We're not talking mere formulaic pastiche, LOST architect Damon Lindelof was actually directly responsible for a major piece of the HEROES frame work, Peter Petrelli's power absorption abilities.

An article in the SunHerald examines the connections between the two shows in great depth, including the controversy concerning the mysterious Gannon Car Rentals brochures that appear everywhere from the Mickey Mouse Club to LOST (turns out Gannon is amongst several brand names reserved for the motion picture industry at large. Damn, I'm sure that just collapsed about a million theories.) But the article isn't all speculation, mind you, they went directly to the sources, Kring and Lindelof, amongst others. Among the extremely revealing quotes:

"We had a couple lunches, had a couple beers, he would talk to me about some of the ideas he was having... sort of pick my brain," Lindelof said. To good effect. It was Lindelof, it turns out, who suggested the plot-twist ending of the "Heroes" pilot: That idealistic Peter Petrelli, who believed he could fly, should plummet off a building and be rescued by his brother Nathan - who actually could. (It was Kring, Lindelof said, who added the idea that Peter has powers, too.)

Okay, so that minor detail in many ways shaped the flow of the entire Heroes plot. If Peter were not a powers sponge, and his brother were not a deeply conflicted closet superhero, things may have turned out as campy as a lot of people expected.

Of course, to be fair, Heroes has an extremely talented writing staff (a couple of them came from LOST, I'd like to point out) following these suggestions, but it does good things to my sense of LOST pride to know that every time somebody tauts Heroes as the "LOST-Killer", we can hold this little fact over their heads.

Saw this on Hiro's blog at the official NBC Heroes page, posted it a while back in the Lost thread -

http://blog.nbc.com/hiro_blog/

As we were heading towards Las Vegas, strange folks intercepted us. They were driving a black van and clearly up to no good. They were men in black. I thought they belonged to some government agency and was trying to capture me because of my abilities. They were going to tie me up, probe me, and do lots of tests on me! Maybe even stuff me with fish biscuits.

Fish biscuits is a reference to Lost, from the opening of season 3. Looked like a shout out to me.

Very interesting! :) Thanks for that, AZT!

Hehe, in tonight's AWESOME episode of "LOST", Mr. Patchy told Kate that she'd never understand his story because she's "not on The List". :p

Haha I know it's not intentional, but it brought my mind right back to this topic :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"