Heroes in Crisis

Babillygunn

New Age Outlaw
Reaction score
Did DC reall just kill
Wally West and Roy Harper
?

If this is the case, especially with the former, I am royally ticked.

If by "kill" you mean "temporarily off the table", then yes.

Did DC reall just kill
Wally West and Roy Harper
?

If this is the case, especially with the former, I am royally ticked.
Man, I was so tempted to open your spoiler, but I mustn't... I mustn't...

The fall out from this is being felt throughout the DC universe. It’s making for good emotional stories. But I’m still ticked over
Wally’s death [\SPOILER]

I enjoyed the first issue but with King, he likes to play with narrative a bit. So I'm curious to see where it goes. Superman overcome by grief was pretty affecting.

My biggest gripe isn't so much with King or the book itself, but I find the whole notion of killing characters, especially post- Captain America, to be more than a little absurd. No matter how much DC or Marvel or any of the writers try to convince us the death is permanent, we know unequivocally that these characters will come back. It's what made the Green Arrow tie-in so bad, especially when several characters who appeared in that book died and came back to life.

While comic deaths are absurd, at least there's an opportunity to telling an affecting story dealing with the consequences and the fallouts. But you need to be incredibly sure of yourself as a writer to make it work and, more importantly, make it count. Brubaker did it. I trust King to do it as well. But it's rare.

More absurd though than the killing of comic book characters is the reaction of fans. I apologize for my rather curt comment when you first made the thread, but I had been lurking on the CBR forums for a bit and just couldn't handle it any more. Maybe I'm just jaded because I've been reading these ragnarok stories for so long, but getting pissed off, threatening to boycott the publisher, threatening the writer, etc...all seems so stupid when we know that these characters will not stay dead. And for me personally, I've been profoundly unimpressed by Williamson's Flash book (which more or less seems hampered by Geoff Johns still and Flash War was straight garbage) so if Heroes in Crisis can allow time to be taken to actually figure out how to handle Wally in the books going forward, so be it. Is it annoying and lazy that this is the means in which they accomplish that? Sure. But I'll take it.

I hadn’t noticed your curt comment, so no apology necessary. I actually probably am in a good deal of agreement with you. Wally is one of my favorite heroes. I put him probably top 4. You are spot on that he has been wasted since coming back. He has been marginalized in Titans and then was crapped on in Flash War. Then they up and kill him in HiC. I guess it is not so much the death that frustrates me, but the culmination of disrespect.

As to the story, I agree that deaths in comics are nothing more than a joke. I remember back in early 90’s in Amazing Spider-Man they gave Aunt May a boyfriend. Then in the issue before them killing him off, they ended the issue with the lazy teaser: “Next Issue: Someone Dies!” That really shows what death is to the comics medium. It’s a gimmick.

All that said, with the exception of King’s early Batman run, he has my trust. Still, I cannot help but be very frustrated at DC for their recent treatment of Wally, a character who actually showed that a sidekick can overtake a hero in quality and popularity when he stepped into the Flash mantle after Barry’s turn at the death gimmick. Wally deserves better.

So now is
Poison Ivy
supposed to be dead too?

Issue 2 is so bad. Clay Mann is cool af and his art is amazing so I’ll support him but this stuff is not written like normal Tom King.

This story just keeps making me more and more ticked off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"