• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

'Heroes' premiere down 25% from last year

He-Man

Sidekick
Reaction score
The two-hour premiere of NBC's top drama "Heroes" was down 25% compared with last year's one-hour opener, taking an expected hit following a creatively middling second season and an extended nine-month hiatus prompted by the writers strike.

The "Heroes" debut (9.9 million viewers, 4.9 preliminary adults 18-49 rating and a 12 share) ranked second in the 9 p.m. hour after ABC's "Dancing With the Stars' " return, and second at 10 p.m. following CBS' "CSI: Miami" debut. ("Heroes" was actually down even more, 33%, if you include NBC's heavily protested move to push Nielsen last fall to roll its Saturday repeat rating into its premiere). Clip show lead-in "Heroes: Countdown to the Premiere" (6 million, 2.6/7) placed third in the hour.

NBC's weaker standings gave CBS a clear opening to lead the night, and the network took it: CBS won its first premiere week Monday since 2002.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/hr...sion/news/e3i98078f6e2a02095d813e50f90c164ae2

----------------------------------------------------
After a big summer of super hero movies you think the general audience is tired of Super Heroes?

I think the long lay off between seasons 2 and 3 kind of hurt it.

Not too surprised, actually. After all, last season was regarded as being below expectations, was cut short, and, as pointed out, there was a nine month gap between seasons due to the writer's strike last year. Not to mention that things like TiVo and watching the show online (which NBC provides directly after the show airs) could also cut down ratings.

TiVo and watching the show online doesn't cut down the ratings anymore. I don't how long ago, but DVR's, TiVo, and people that watch it online are going to be calculated into the ratings from here on out.

It takes them two weeks to adjust the ratings to add in TiVo, DVR, and online views, so we don't know the final rating stand point for another two weeks unfortunately.

It's still not too shabby. I'm hoping the show will regain its momentum.

TiVo and watching the show online doesn't cut down the ratings anymore. I don't how long ago, but DVR's, TiVo, and people that watch it online are going to be calculated into the ratings from here on out.

It takes them two weeks to adjust the ratings to add in TiVo, DVR, and online views, so we don't know the final rating stand point for another two weeks unfortunately.

That's good information to know. Thanks.

It's still not too shabby. I'm hoping the show will regain its momentum.

I'm sure it will. Season three is off to a good start, and I think NBC still has a lot of faith in the show. It's their "Lost". I don't think NBC has another show (scripted, anyway), with the broad appeal that Heroes has.

Last edited:
I barely watched Heroes at all on TV. I watched all of season 2 online I think.

-TNC

well now you can start watching it on tv.

Shoot, they really need to stop this whole online stuff. I know the waiting is hard to do but its worth it if you can keep the ratings up. Its a good show.

i wasnt too surprised really. after what season 2 produced, im glad we even got that many people to watch. i think once the storyline heats up, and more questions are made to be answered, the show will catch on once again and people will be more forgiving. i think the first two episodes brought back a nice season 1 feel to it. not entirely but i felt something =)

Not surprised, after all nothing beats "Dancing with the Stars" in the ratings.

that's okay, I think there will be a lot of hype from these two kickass episodes and ratings will go back up

It's the long wait that lowered the viewing. A 9 month hiatus? Come on. The writer's strike is to blame, not the premiere. Some people forgot.

WRONG....those numbers will be tracked by networks, but not figured into ratings numbers

its unfortunate too about the ratings...because i thought the premiere was fantastic! Out of all the garbage and premiere week tv i've been watching with my girlfriend lately...we agreed that Heroes was the strongest of the pack of the new Fall season for all networks...not just NBC. I've already abandoned newer shows like Fringe...and I'm not sure how its winning in ratings but hopefully Heroes will pick up the pace.

A 9.3 isn't bad seeing as how no other TV show would ever beat Dancing with the Stars. Hell, I think Dancing even beat American Idol earlier this year.

http://www.eonline.com/uberblog/watch_with_kristin/b65412_does_heroes_need_help.html

293.EWcover.heroes2.lc.102308.jpg

John Stamos once told me (after I gave his old show Thieves an, um, not so flattering review) that "judging a series by its pilot is like judging a movie by its opening credits."

So, question: Is it fair to judge a TV show's season based on the first three to four episodes?

That is the question we're presenting to you fans as Entertainment Weekly's highly controversial Heroes critique/cover story hits magazine stands today...

Writer Jeff Jensen asserts that the series is in need of major healing and retooling?an assertion that some of you fans have voiced over the past few weeks, while others of you have defended the show and insist you still enjoy watching.

We've done some research among sources connected to the series, and can tell you that some of the issues pointed out by E.W. appear to have already been ironed out in future episodes for which scripts have been written. The action settles into the present (no more time travel), two of our fave Heroes get intimate and certain, less popular characters depart...Plus, as a former fan of Aliens in America (one of the few but proud) I'm pleased by my frenemy Michael Ausiello's new Heroes casting scoop today about Dan Byrd coming to the show.

Still, what I'm most curious to know is how you the fans truly feel. Is E.W.'s cover story fair? Too harsh? Too gentle? Too soon? Too late? Are you enjoying the current season or planning a Hero-ic breakup via your DVR?

We did notice that the fan comments in this week's Heroes Redux were overwhelmingly positive compared with those from previous weeks, including, "I'm glad I stuck with this season," "This show just keeps getting better" and "I'm totally shocked at all of the non-negative comments this week!" So maybe there is still faith to be found?

But please, take a moment to sound off below. I have a feeling people who work on the show would love to know what you're thinking right about now...

I do think this season is getting better. For me it has the same essence as S1, leaving me wanting more every week and guessing at what is coming, only to be surprised and wrong. The last two episodes were awesome IMO, and I am quite curious as to where they are taking the story, given what we know about the next chapter also. Also, I haven't seen anyone mention that Heroes is supposed to go for 5 seasons (as we learned back when S1 was airing), so I would think there is some loose plan for its run rather than this week to week make it up as we go along writing people assume is happening. I'm sure it does, but not on such a major scale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"