How do you draw and color your pictures?

webhead731

I'm a photographer
Reaction score
How do you draw your pictures? How do you color them?

I used to draw them by drawing an outline of the figure and adding the details inside. I heard about the stick and circle method and practiced it for a long time but I sucked at it. For some reason, the last two pictures I drew (a Spider-Man picture and a Venom picture) I was able to use the stick and circle method. I have no idea how I did it. I'm okay at it now...I guess.
I draw with a pencil and then color it in PhotoShop.

What about you guys?

The stick circle thing I never really got. I start with a light outline so I can change/tweak as I go then darken the final version.

Coloring, I used to use markers, now I just don't color. I'd like to get photoshop though.

I stopped coloring with markers and stuff when I got PhotoShop. They screwed my pictures up too much.

I kind of originally did what you do. That's starting with the outline. I would never just draw dark like that first. It can mess up your art. I would draw lightly and rough.

For some reason or another I always start with the head :huh: I just can't stop doing that. I usually have the position I want already in my head. I position the head to the rest of the flow that I want and head south from that. I make my marks light but I still put in some detail with my rough copy. I can't some to sketch for beans, I always end up starting with a final copy. After I get everything the way I want I go back through several times and darken and shade.

I don't have photoshop :( I have a similar program but it doesn't cut it at all. I downloaded gimp and I can't pick it up really. If I can't figure out how all the commands work in a five minute time frame then I pretty much leave it :(

What's so weird with starting with the head? I've always done that.

It took me a year to get to where I am today with PhotoShop. Have you guys seen my first manip ever and my more recent ones? Or the first drawing I colored in PhotoShop compared to the recent ones? I've gotten better just by playing around with it and I've gotten alot of help from people here.

Just practice at it.:):up:

I usually draw starting with a curved line that will become the characters spine and then build from there. I use a bean shape for the torso and then add the appendages. I do all of this in blue so that I can either ink or dark pencil the finished lines over it. Color all depends on what I'm doing, I'll use watercolors, markers, colored pencils, photoshop, painter etc. Or sometimes I go with a plain old inkwash. All depends on the drawing.

i stick by the stick and circle, it really works for me, check out my penncils in my sig. i dont color though,

You're really good.^

Do you draw with the stick and circle and then draw the shape around them? Some people do the stick and circle and put blocks things around it then add the outline. I don't go through all that.

I kinda start with a curve for a spine, then I lay out circles for the torso, head and fists, then flesh out anatomy from there. Essentially, I build from skeleton to muscle to skin to cloths. By the time I get to skin/cloths area of the drawing, that's when I break out my dark graphite pencils rather than the light blues. I developed most of that with figure drawing classes, which helped with drawing general poses pretty fast.

As for coloring, I start with solid color shapes that are the medium tones for everything, then I build light and darks from there accordingly, then add any FX work to it. All in photoshop. Use to just watercolor my work, but once I learned photoshop, I couldn't turn my back on it as it does what I want.

i start with a certain color shade and then create shading and lighting with different techniques

I do a little sketch out of the outline of the whole body than if it seems accurate I darken it than add detail inside.

webhead731 said:
You're really good.^

Do you draw with the stick and circle and then draw the shape around them? Some people do the stick and circle and put blocks things around it then add the outline. I don't go through all that.

what i do is i use the stick and circle to position my figure. then i draw the eyes and head. everything builds from there. if i have to deviate from the original stick circle positioning i do, but i use it as a base for all my proportions. then i shade depending on where i placed my light source.

Depends on the drawing I want to do Webs.
If it's a bust like the last two BRB drawings, then I start with the head, otherwise I start with a stck and add on.
I like using ALL formats to color. If the drawing looks like it'll transfer well to computor art then I do both kinds of color.

When I draw, the first thing I do is draw the character or object softly using circles and lines, to get the structure, positioning and perspective correct and to my satisfaction.

Once the figure has been shaped out, I draw more detail and definition over these shapes, again, quite lightly, so that the character begins to take it's shape.

Then once I am satisfied with this defined outlining, I use a harder, finer pencil to draw over and enhance the lightly drawn details of the image.

I ink my images by hand, using either a pen or a brush, then I scan the inked image on to the eMac so that I can colour them using Adobe Photoshop, which is the method I use most of the time. However, I have used watercolours on a number of occasions too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"