How have the Spider-Man films stood the test of time? OPINION

I only get the vibe when the New Yorkers were throwing stuff at GG. The vibe from seeing the American flag used to be there, but it isn't after seeing the flag show up in other ways in the trilogy.

For me it only applies to the first film as well. But(for the first movie) with Spidey being in NY I kept expecting to see the Trade center in the film at some point. I'm sure if it hadn't been attacked and destroyed they'd obviously be in the film.

They all hold up well. A few things do tend to make the first film feel a bit dated; however, with the fights between GG & Spider-Man being the biggest example and the NY pride vibe as another.

The fights were primarily practical effects and wirework(as opposed to the break-neck CG in 2 & 3), but even outside of that I've always felt that they were poorly choreographed. Otherwise, the NY pride stuff is definitely a reaction to 9/11, and always makes me associate the film with that period for this reason. Almost feels like a piece of history.

Other than that, there isn't much that hasn't been said about 2; it's an exemplary film within the genre and everything from the drama, characters, and action hold up and in many cases exceed what we have today. Not without its issues, but still a great film.

As for 3...well...the action is stellar by any measure, I will likely always hold to that. Other than that I don't really think that time has served to expose anything about the movie that wasn't apparent when it was released. The first hour or so is good entertainment, while the latter half more or less plays like a parody of the franchise.

I thought the final fight between Spider-Man and Goblin was pretty great and well done. One of the better comic book superhero fights overall. You could sort of feel the punches as Spider-Man was getting beat down.

"Misery, misery, misery"

At the time, I thought it was pretty brutal.

I was about 10 when the first Spider-Man film came out. Really loved it when I was a kid, and it's still fun. BUT... I never thought I'd say a film from the 21st century feels dated but Spidey 1 takes the cake.

Especially in comparison to ASM, it just feels so corny, the first half of the movie is even aesthetically too bright. Some of the CG is bad, etc. Now I still enjoy it, absolutely. But it's got a lot of flaws...

The tone of Raimi's Spider-Man is pretty consistant in its corn so nothing really urks me. Ironically this wasn't the case with the reboot, where a few elements stood out like a sore thumb.

I thought the final fight between Spider-Man and Goblin was pretty great and well done. One of the better comic book superhero fights overall. You could sort of feel the punches as Spider-Man was getting beat down.

"Misery, misery, misery"

At the time, I thought it was pretty brutal.

Yeah I agree. Probably my favourite fight in the trilogy because of the brutality.

I was about 10 when the first Spider-Man film came out. Really loved it when I was a kid, and it's still fun. BUT... I never thought I'd say a film from the 21st century feels dated but Spidey 1 takes the cake.

Especially in comparison to ASM, it just feels so corny, the first half of the movie is even aesthetically too bright. Some of the CG is bad, etc. Now I still enjoy it, absolutely. But it's got a lot of flaws...

I think the first movie feels a lot older than it is, yeah. I find that to be part of its charm for me somehow, like it isn't a detractor. I think it successfully captures a classic silver age comic book sort of feel, just like how Captain America: TFA feels like an old school adventure flick.

Exactly. But I don't feel it has become corny in time, it was corny the very first time I saw it back in 2002. It was a shame actually. But I still think SM2 is as good as it was before.

SM3 on the other hand... :doh:

I think that Batman Begins and The Dark Knight changed alot of things. Now,it seems alot of superhero movies have to be dark,edgy,serious and complex. But Raimi's series,while it did contain some complex or edgy moments,was more about having fun,being goofy and enjoying the ride. So,in that respect it does feel like it's from another era. It doesn't seem to fit in with most comic book/superhero film these days. But that's part of why I still enjoy them all.

Ummm, The Avengers/Thor are similar to the tone of Raimi's Spider-Man series. X-Men: First Class embraced the fun side more than the previous X-Men films.

idk if anyone on these boards are familiar with fanedits of films. But the OP (and many others) might like Spider-Man: Hero Within.

Here's the synopsis:
i am combining the origin story from the 1st film with the villain from the 2nd film (Doc Ock) and any scene from the 3rd on that could be useful to make a new story mostly on Peter and his journey to become a hero, simplifying the awful romance with Mary-Jane to the very basics and essentials, removing all useless side characters, getting rid of some side-plots and making it a little more serious by removing many of the stupid campy stuff from the first 2 movies.

An origin with Doc Ock as the villain...I always wanted that tbh. I thought Doc Ock would be a perfect villain to use in the origin film.

Yeah there's some real winners on http://fanedit.org/

The trouble is finding them to download and watch. I believe the best luck you'll have is signing up for the forums and pm the creator.

Doc Ock would be perfect for an origin movie because he is basically the Peter Parker gone bad, so he'd make a great parallel for it.

^ Indeed :up:

And if given the right script, Doc Ock wouldn't end up being a villain that is watered down in an origin film as usually is the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"