• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

How important is it for the movie to be faithful?

The movie doesn't need to be 100% faithful to any aspect of the source material. Most people are mainly familiar with the toys and/or cartoons. Once I discovered the comics as a kid, I basically never watched the old cartoons again. But I didn't like everything in the comics, either. For me personally, the filecards on the back of the toy packages always were the alpha and omega of G.I. Joe from 1982 to the present.

Does this really matter for this movie? No. It's just a big, dumb action movie with guns blazing, stuff exploding, and everyone crashing into everything. You're just along for the ride. Details don't really matter that much. So, don't get your panties all twisted when you see that Duke is an Army captain in the movie, even though his bio from 1983 very specifically explains why he refused to become a commissioned officer.

However, if someone made a G.I. Joe movie where details like this really DID matter, and the overall tone was closer to that of the filecards and comics than the cartoons, then that would be great!

It's important, but I think it's also very ballsy to approach the film the way they did, because if it works, it'll make the sequel incredibly interesting, and IMO, automatically stronger.

Ask anyone their main problem with the film, and it's the fact that it's kind of unrecognizable as G.I. Joe outside of Snake Eyes & Storm Shadow. But because of this I think it creates a place for the sequel to go (if it gets a sequel, that is :cwink:)

Almost anyone would have made Cobra Commander the main villain right away, they would have Destro with his mask from the beginning, and basically do it by the book, which would be cool, but would also shorten the lifespan of the films, at least with characters MOST people would recognize.

I think it would be fantastic to make CC evolve & resemble the one we all know and love in the sequel, maybe even setup Serpentor for a third. Get Duke to wear his regular outfit, introduce Flint, basically turn it into the G.I. Joe we all expected. After all this is only the "rise" of Cobra, I would think in a sequel we would get a lot more of the universe that this film is lacking....

The comic book and the cartoon were entirely different. The comic was violent and had actual deaths. There were no magic laser beams that missed their targets at 2 and 1/2 inches. Comic book deaths: Doc, Sneak Peek, ALL of Battleforce 2000, Kwinn the Eskimo, Dr. Mindbender, Quick Kick.... to name a few. Again the comic and the cartoon were entirely different. I understand having to change some things but this is just ridiculous. This Rex character is nowhere near as interesting as the CC from the comics in fact he seem more like an afterthought.

Thank you. G.I. Joe was one of the Marvel series I collected through the 80's. Thats where I became a Snake-eyes fan. His origin was interesting, I love the origin issue with him, Stalker, and Storm Shadow in Vietnam. The only real mystery with Snake-eyes is that you never seen his face for years. You knew he was so messed up he couldn't speak, and his face is why he and Scarlet could never be together (it's also how they became attached).

I just feel that the character is being shortchanged from what i see and what I hear.

He wears a Balaclava, how do you overdo that? What does it add? It's photoshopped out of most of the promotional material.

Last edited:
It can go three ways. You can improve the source material, you can make it worse or you can keep it the same.

Since 90% of comic book movies make things worse I'd prefer they keep it the same and use a tried and true formula rather than try to re-invent the wheel using a handful of Hollywood hacks.

The only real mystery with Snake-eyes is that you never seen his face for years. You knew he was so messed up he couldn't speak, and his face is why he and Scarlet could never be together (it's also how they became attached).

Scarlett and Snake-Eyes were very much together. His scarred face was never an obstacle between them.

If he didn't have scarred penis, they were all good.

Scarletts an undercover freak....they did it with the mask on and Timber watching

I think it would be fantastic to make CC evolve & resemble the one we all know and love in the sequel, maybe even setup Serpentor for a third. Get Duke to wear his regular outfit...

The problem with Duke's "regular outfit" is that it's been obsolete for about 60 years. I'm happy enough just seeing him in pixel-camo battle fatigues, since that's the modern equivalent of what he wore in RAH.

I don't think it had to be too faithful with this adaption. I do think it wouldn't have mattered if this was an American force. Since the characters still did their jobs it's acceptable - isn't that how any good soldier should behave? In terms of sci-fi equipment that was something I enjoyed from the cartoons. If this stuck with comic books it could end up being pretty dull and heavyhanded. That's why I don't mind Wayans playing Ripcord. He wasn't a popular Joe, and Wayans character was a brave soldier. The secrecy of the team was bound to get blown once M.A.R.S.' ambitions revealed themselves. If the sequel has Cobra doing worse damage G.I.Joe can go public. Then they can get more authorization to operate even on U.S. soil.

I also don't mind the changed history connecting Duke, the Baroness, and Cobra Commander. In the cartoons Cobra Commander was from the race of Cobra La. In the comics he was just an ambitious former salesman who even ran from the Russian mob. Baroness's brother was supposedly killed by Snake-Eyes-so what? In this movie we get a different personal reason Duke joins the team, why the Baroness' life is so tragic, and a Cobra Commander who is so vile and ingenius no matter how he sounds.

Last edited:
I think they should be faithful to how the characters act and look in the source material.
If you take liberties with the origin i think it's ok if the end result is basically the same.

The suits worked for they had to do. They are doing this crazy ****. And you want them to wear loose fitting clothes? It doesn't work. I know it's a toy movie and you have to suspend your desbelief, but you gotta do stuff that doesn't look eye rolling inducing or make you go, "come on!"

The suits can be updated for the sequel, but if they make them more individual, people will still draw comparisons to x-men. Bright colors wouldn't really work.

and that is still just a khaki shirt...unless they make those of tougher material now, its not practical

Loose fitting uniforms aren't a problem. The old line just looks too outdated.

did Duke and Baroness really have a romantic backstory?, and is "The Commander" really her bro...?

the only thing I really noticed was it seemed like Baroness's had a whole new backstory + lack of accent and Duke not being blonde... as that's all I really remember from the cartoon... I wasn't certain if Ripcord was black as I only remembered Heavyduty being black

Last edited:
The back story connects in the movie were not exact the same but there were all kinds of really contrived back story links in the comics. Especially around Snake Eyes.

and I think people need to go back and re-read the marvel comic line. I've been re-reading it this past week. I am up to issue 40 and there is all kinds of silly off the wall stuff going on that people seem to be forgetting about. Massive shootouts with no one hit. People getting "wounded" all the time and being ok in the next issue. (like they are wolverine or something, that or Doc is Jesus) Other goofy crazy stuff like people hearing each other talking across the battle field. Ace flying his skystriker/F-14 tomcat with no goggles or a canopy. Jet packs. Giant robot Battle suits (yes they were in the comics for anyone complaining about the accelerator suits) Dr. Venom put Snake eyes and Quinn in a set.

People surviving un-survivable situations.

etc, etc.

Sure there were a few deaths here and there but there were also many of many shoot outs where it was just as bad as the cartoon.

PS. No Ripcord was white in the comic but that is such a minor thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"