The Dark Knight Rises How Long Was Bruce Wayne Actually Batman in this Trilogy?

Shpati

Civilian
Reaction score
How Long Was Bruce Wayne Actually Batman in this Trilogy?

6 to 8 months?

I read here in the hype that according to this recently released book (the dark knight handbook?? guidebook?? whatever...), the "batman parts" in BB, happen during a time span of 3 years, from the moment he returns to Gotham (2003) to the moment he beats Ra's (2005); then, it's another 3 years till the events of TDK; we can know that due to the year 2008 being stablished many times during the movie (if you pay close enough attention) and also, Gordon's kids age, compared to baby Barbara we saw in BB; that alone gives you 6/7 years of good ole batmaning; which, to be honest, in a "real world" scenario, no person, no matter if your the fittest guy on the face of the earth, could withstand for more than a year.

This is just what I gathered, if anyone proves me wrong, cool; but this timeline works for me.

Polux

As far as the films illustrate it could be about 6-18 months.

Extraneous materials extend this time, some to 3 year and I believe some to 5.

I think the movies make it seem like TDK is 6 months or so after BB but it could be a few years. The books say 1 to 2 years between Bruce's return to Gotham and the death of Ra's. Then 3 years of a gap between BB/TDK.

Just because Joker says "a year ago these cops & lawyers wouldn't dare cross any of you". You can take that however you please. Batman could have REALLY started crippling the mob just a year prior to Dark Knight. Batman could have looked into the Joker card and found nothing on him, then Joker only made appearances once in a blue moon.

It also seems like Rachel and Dent have been dating for more than just a few months. The whole "spending the rest of our lives together, etc". Bruce also says to Rachel "you once told me that we'd be together.." That line always sounds like Bruce is remembering something from a long while ago. If she said that to him a few months ago why would he word it in that way? Remember...the end of Begins seems like it could be April (spring time) and the start of TDK seems like August. That's like 4 months. It just feels a lot longer to me. Even down to Bruce's physical appearance and how much thinner and drained he is.

This could certainly give more weight to TDKR and that 8 year gap. It could also mean that other stories can come into play to fill in the blanks (via graphic novel perhaps). More mob bosses, etc between the events of Begins and Dark Knight. Or Arkham psychopaths.

Last edited:
It shouldn't have taken Wayne that long to rebuild Wayne Manor, or Batman and The Joker to finally come after each other.

Dialog, character arcs, and the seasonal environments make it clear that the Gotham part of "Batman Begins" lasted a month or so, and that "The Dark Knight" takes place about a year and a half after the start of Wayne's time in Gotham.

It's debatable how long Wayne acted as Batman after the climax of "The Dark Knight." Blake states there have been "no confirmed sightings" of the Batman since Dent died.

However, this just means he stopped interacting with the police entirely at that point, and that he made an effort not to be sighted by them (and not get caught on surveillance, I assume).

I personally find it hard to believe that he stopped entirely, right then and there - he probaby tapered down, continuing to help dismantle the mob until Gordon's work could be completed or set up in a self-sustaining manner, including the establishment of the Dent Act (which obviously wouldn't have happened overnight). Plus, there's got to be a reason why Wayne continued to build and finish the Batcave, which wasn't completed by the climax of "The Dark Knight" but was evidently quite functional later on.

9-12 months between Batman Begins and The Dark Knight

3 nights and 1 day in The Dark Knight Rises

Also, imo, I believe Batman was around for a little while after TDK's events until the Dent Act was created, but that's just me. The first two things I mentioned, though, it's mostly likely fact.

It shouldn't have taken Wayne that long to rebuild Wayne Manor, or Batman and The Joker to finally come after each other.

Exactly. I don't see Joker being a theatrical bank robber for three whole years before finally making his big move.

Building a Mansion like that in this day in age with those types of materials and the intention of making it almost identical to the previous one would take years........

This isn't just some suburban house

Also, we don't know how much progress was done at Wayne Manor during TDK. Might've been a couple months away from being finished.

Why are we talking about the time it takes to build the mansion? We don't see the mansion again for nine years, so how can this help on what's time been passed or what have you?

Last edited:
This is my only major gripe with the trilogy. He was Batman for too short of time. Even if you want to believe BB takes place over three years because it says in some book, there is nothing in the film to suggest it takes this long. The same thing with gap between BB and TDK. Even if you see a "2008" somewhere it does not feel like 3 years after BB. For me, I would have loved to have seen a fourth film that fleshed out the world created by Bats and the escalation of crime created by the Joker. Basically, I wanted a bigger rogues gallery. But that's not necessarily a good reason to tell a story, it's just the fanboy in me. The trilogy is meant to be beginning, middle and end. Unfortunately, the middle period seems a bit too brief and the ending comes a bit early for me personally. Love the trilogy overall though.

Last edited:
I tried to make a timeline according to the events on the films and viral campaigns some time ago on another thread. This is what I came up:

BB stands for Bruce's Birthday on Batman Begins.

• 30 years before BB: Bruce Wayne is Born to Martha and Thomas Wayne.
  • 22 years before BB: Bruce Wayne parents are killed by Joe Chill. Chill is captured the same night of the incident. Bruce is 8 years old.
  • Joe Chill serves 14 years in prison.
  • Eight years before BB: Bruce Wayne initiates his journey around the world. Bruce is 22 years old.
  • Bruce Wayne spends 7 years in training and finding purpose, the latter part of that time span is spent with the League of Shadows.
  • One year before BB: Bruce Wayne returns to Gotham City to fight crime as Batman, with the intent of inspiring good in people. During that year he does the following: Spends some time setting up his plan, gathering his equipment, investigating the mob, and making Sgt. James Gordon an ally. Then as Batman he takes out Falcone and the Scarecrow, while uncovering the League of Shadows' plan to destroy Gotham. Bruce is 29 years old.
  • BB: Wayne Manor is burned down by the League of Shadows on Bruce Wayne 30th birthday. Batman stops Ra's Al Ghul from destroying Gotham with the fear toxin by destroying the monorail. Bruce is 30 years old.
  • After short unspecified amount of time after BB: Batman Begins Ending: Sgt James Gordon is promoted to Lieutenant, reveal of the Bat-signal and advent of The Joker.

Now you can say that roughly all of the main events in Batman Begins take less than a year, by taking into account Bruce's age.

The consensus is that between Batman Begins and The Dark Knight it passes from about 6 or 9 months to a year. I'm counting the viral campaign for the Dark Knight, namely the Gotham Tonight segments, as the closest source of information outside of the films since the major actors of the films participate on this.

The six Gotham Tonight segments are paced in intervals of two weeks except the last one, which airs just one week after the one that came before, making a total of 9 weeks.

Now, on the Gotham Tonight segments, is stated that between the fear toxin terrorist attack on the Narrows and the third Gotham Tonight 9 months pass. According to the airings of the episodes, 5 weeks pass between the third segment and the last (which happens at the same time of the bank robbery at the opening of The Dark Knight). So going by this, 10 months and one week pass between the attack on the Narrows and the beginning of The Dark Knight.

• 10 months and one week after BB: The Joker and his henchmen rob Gotham National Bank, setting in motion the events of The Dark Knight.

Now, the time span of The Dark Knight events could take about two or three months. The security camera showing the Joker has a time stamp saying that they were taken on July 17, 2008. It is also said that the court documents of the RICO conspiracy case confirm that this trial is also held on July of the same year, but I cannot confirm that right now. In my opinion, the events of the film could stretch at least into August.

But as I said before, I'm trying to not take into account the year, but the time span.

• Roughly a year after BB: The Dark Knight's ending: Joker is incarcerated in Arkham Asylum, Two-Face dies in a confrontation with Batman, and Batman takes the blame for Two-Face murders to ensure Gotham well being. At some point after this events, Bruce turns 31.

Now, it is said that The Dark Knight Rises is 8 years after the ending of the previous film, the last reported sighting of the Batman.

• Eight years and six months after BB: The Beginning of The Dark Knight Rises: Bane kidnaps Dr. Pavel on a CIA plane.
  • Nine years after BB: Harvey Dent's Day celebration. Bruce is 39 years old.

Now, this is pure conjecture on my part, but before Bane defeats Batman and sends him to the pit, you could say it passes a month, more or less.

• Nine years and a month after BB: Bane sends Batman to the Pit.

Then the five months of Bane holding out the city passes and then, after Batman "dies" with the bomb on the ocean.

• Nine years and six months after BB: Batman saves Gotham by taking the bomb to the ocean.

Then an unspecified amount of time passes in the last flashback until the very end. You could say that Bruce is 40 years old.

Now now, we all know that Bruce Wayne doesn't need to be wearing the mask or fighting crime to be considered "Batman". So he may well have been "Batman" for around 10 years, similar to the comics lore.

This is my only major gripe with the trilogy. He was Batman for too short of time. Even if you want to believe BB takes place over three years because it says in some book, there is nothing in the film to suggest it takes this long. The same thing with gap between BB and TDK. Even if you see a "2008" somewhere it does not feel like 3 years after BB. For me, I would have loved to have seen a fourth film that fleshed out the world created by Bats and the escalation of crime created by the Joker. Basically, I wanted a bigger rogues gallery. But that's not necessarily a good reason to tell a story, it's just the fanboy in me. The trilogy is meant to be beginning, middle and end. Unfortunately, the middle period seems a bit too brief and the ending comes a bit early for me personally. Love the trilogy overall though.

I agree with every word

the entire time.

jokes aside, I'd guesstimate about 3 years.

Joker : Let's wind the clocks back a year. These cops and lawyers wouldn't dare cross any of you. I mean, what happened? Did your balls drop off? Hmm? You see, a guy like me...

Mobster 1 : A freak.

Joker : A guy like me... Look, listen. I know why you choose to have your little, ahem...group-therapy sessions in broad daylight. I know why you're afraid to go out at night. The Batman. See, Batman has shown Gotham your true colors, unfortunately. Dent, he's just the beginning. And as for the television's so-called plan...Batman has no jurisdiction. He'll find him and make him squeal. I know the squealers when I see them...and...

i watched tdk again yesterday and i was thinking about the same thing. between bb and tdk, 2 years? then he went into hiding till tdk, and was bats again for a couple of months, was it?

Agreed. With Wayne's wealth and influence, surely he could afford a construction crew that could get it rebuilt in at least a year and a half. I loved Batman Begins but with all of the inconsistencies with the later movies it's hard for me to like them as much. Especially TDKR.

ЯɘvlveR;24934985 said:
i watched tdk again yesterday and i was thinking about the same thing. between bb and tdk, 2 years? then he went into hiding till tdk, and was bats again for a couple of months, was it?

Yeah that's about it. And that's one of my biggest problems with how Nolan ended his trilogy. I just can't be an advocate of something like that for my alltime fave fictional character.

Long enough.

images

Although, when looking at the basis of this trilogy, it can be viewed as being long enough. The whole point of Batman Begins was how guys like Carmine Falcone was corrupting the people in Gotham City to a point where guys like Joe Chill are "made" and start mugging and killing for money, jewelry, etc. and in this is Batman's crusade of cleaning up Gotham City and taking out that kind of disease that makes others get to that "killing point" that Chill came to and Batman finally did this, albeit with a lie that did clean up Gotham's organized crime situation. And also, Batman had to deal with the League of Shadows which he finally and fully accomplished in TDKR.

Which is why it is long enough for you. I'm still left disappointed by The Dark Knight Rises. I don't think organised crime should have disappeared near enough overnight and I don't think the League of Shadows needed to return, the organisation was already finished with in Batman Begins.

It essentially disappeared throughout the events of TDK, though. Dent did get most of the criminals off the streets for a year and a half and the top guys died one by one in the film as well. Enough time to have created the Dent Act, put it into action and send any other mobsters to prison. And while I agree that the LoS could have definitely ended in BB, there is a daughter that Ra's had in the comics which could have made her way into Nolan's universe and she did.

Some important info from TDKR (though it doesn't help give a definite answer to the question posed in the topic):

Alfred says that Bruce hadn't been down in the cave in a long time, but he apparently had been down in the improved batcave. He may have been there just to test out the new utilities, to use the bat-computer (such as how he was researching Selina), or was using it to actually fight crime as Batman, but that's all up to speculation.

The vision of Ra's al Ghul (speaking from Bruce's own knowledge, obviously), stated:

"You, yourself fought the decadence of Gotham for years with all your strength, all your resources, all your moral authority and the only victory you could achieve was a lie."

However, he could have been including actions taken solely by Bruce Wayne such as before the events of TDKR, when Wayne Enterprises still had the resources to do things like help the orphanage.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"