The Dark Knight How to make this film fun without onliners

How is that aping what was said in Spider-man?
*looks at my quote*
*looks at Darkest Knight's quote*
*looks at Darkest Knight*
*slaps face*
eh...
OK, I give. Where did I say he was aping it? I just meant the line was an obvious attempt at creating something LIKE the line in Spider-man, something that may be representive to the character and stick to him like tight leather underwear wore under regular pants in the summer, you know, when you run out of normal underwear, and then you look through your closet, and come up with the box full of "toys" you and the girlfriend like, and there is this pair of leather undies she likes you to wear, cause they accentuate your firm ass and she likes it. So you wear them cause you dont have anything fresh. But it's like a 100 d outside. Yeah, sticks like that man.
What were we talking about?
Oh yeah. And weird, I dont remember ever telling you what I thought of the line. I simply said: attempt at. I never judged it. But yeah, I was not impressed and in no way does the line speak volume for the character for me. It's pretty generic. And I am still a Batman fan. And in other news water is still wet, Poland still sucks and metal is the greatest music genre in the world ;)

And if who he is underneath is not important... why did he tell her who he is? He knew she will recognise her own words. Why did he uncover for her if it's so unimportant? Why put her in danger with revealing his character? I mean yeah, I know, young Batman, whatever, it kinda contradicts the line.

"This just in, Darkest Knight gets PWNED in SHH shocker, more on this breaking news story after we catch up with today's sports..."

I know why he said the line. I read a draft script (with even more exposition).

Batman (raspy, like he needs some throat meds): It's not who I am underneath, but what I do, that defines me.

Rachel: ... Bruce?

Batman: Yes! It is me! And there you were being all judgmental at the hotel, scorning me, putting me down! I'm not just a billionaire playboy, I'm Gotham's self-appointed saviour! But we're not friends anymore, cos you really hurt my feelings! But I showed you! Ha!.....
..... Did I just give away my secret identity? Again?

See? I bet this was Goyer cutting out all the great lines Nolan thought up. Damn you Goyer... somebody get me that Goyer pic to add to the drama of my speach while I will procede to yell "GOYER" in a Khaaaaaaaan-style Star Trek fashion.

I know why he said the line. I read a draft script (with even more exposition).

Batman (raspy, like he needs some throat meds): It's not who I am underneath, but what I do, that defines me.

Rachel: ... Bruce?

Batman: Yes! It is me! And there you were being all judgmental at the hotel, scorning me, putting me down! I'm not just a billionaire playboy, I'm Gotham's self-appointed saviour! But we're not friends anymore, cos you really hurt my feelings! But I showed you! Ha!.....
..... Did I just give away my secret identity? Again?

actually, thinking about it that way (not exactly with the "draft script" dialogue :woot: ) that whole exchange does sound a bit petty on the part of bats. He could've just said, like, "I'm the goddamn Batman" or something, instead of a little *****y comeback like that...

Batman is a dick.

Maybe I'm not remembering the actual context but... funny?

Flass: What's the hold up?
Patrolman: We're waiting for backup.
Flass: (looks around at the hundreds of Cops) Back up?
Patrolman: The Batman's in there, SWATS on the way. But if you'd like to go now, I'm right behind you.
Flass (looks at Gordon): Well, SWAT's on the way.

Something like that...it was a funny exchange.

-R

my complaint was "its not who i am udnernearth but what i do that defines me" was just a really bad, unoriginal way of saying

ACTIONS SPEAK LOUDER THAN WORDS.

To say nothing of the fact that saying it completely contradicts that message!! This was my main probably with the inclusion of the Rachel character, the heavy-handed exposition. Too many scenes of her telling the audience what the film was showing us.

Not to mention it's secondary purpose was for Batman to tell Rachel who he really was. "Hey, I said those same words to Bruce! And since it's something no one else but me would say, Batman must be Bruce!" Which is just stupid, because it makes it seem too much like he's gotta prove something to her, thus negating what Alfred told him earlier in the film about his father not doing things because he had anything to prove to anyone, but because they were the right things to do.

t's not who I am underneath, but my big scary costume, massive tank, underground lair, and inexplicable desire to reveal my secret identity to every woman I fancy, that defines me'

Pretty much.

Too many scenes of her telling the audience what the film was showing us.
People are dumb? Maybe goyer advised this to Nolan, or maybe it was Nolan's idea in the first place, who never had a major blockbuster before, so maybe he rightly underestimated the audience.
Which is just stupid, because it makes it seem too much like he's gotta prove something to her, thus negating what Alfred told him earlier in the film about his father not doing things because he had anything to prove to anyone, but because they were the right things to do.
Excellent point.

People are dumb? Maybe goyer advised this to Nolan, or maybe it was Nolan's idea in the first place, who never had a major blockbuster before, so maybe he rightly underestimated the audience.

Excellent point.

surely you mean "wrongly"?

Hi. :yay: (****, I misspelled oneliners)

This seemed to me to be one of Nolan's weak points in begins. He didn't quite know how to balance the humor against the serious tone in the film in such a way that the humor doesn't seem out of place. Well, the way it was in begins, having batman say "can you drive stick" and other ones if I can remember (haven't seen begins in a long time) like "excuse me" struck me as an action movie cliche in which the hero's half comedian that should have been left out.

Have batman be no-nonsense. Have Bruce Wayne be the humorous guy.

Your thoughts?

You really want to make this film more fun without oneliners? Thats easy!

MoreCowbell.jpg

wii-cowbell.gif

Come on everyone!!!!!!!!!!! Lets have some fun!!!!!!!!!!

cowbellani.gif

You too Batman!!!!!!!!!

batman.gif

surely you mean "wrongly"?
No, I think the general movie audience, even such that has us, the lovable, manly and beautiful (for the women here) Batman fans, is generally quite stupid. I have no illusions who boosted this movie to such and such gross.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"