The Avengers How would the general audience react to Hulk talking??

Precisely, which is why the Gray Hulk is needed. I don't think anyone wants a full movie of the Savage third person talking Hulk, but the intelligent & cunning Gray Hulk would surely not be comical at all. Quite frightening in fact

I do. That's the Hulk I want to see on the silver screen who is a character unto himself.

Precisely, which is why the Gray Hulk is needed. I don't think anyone wants a full movie of the Savage third person talking Hulk, but the intelligent & cunning Gray Hulk would surely not be comical at all. Quite frightening in fact

I literally tensed up when I read this......SAVAGE HULK IS THE HULK. What the he11 has this world come to.

I feel like Randall in Clerks 2 when he hears people refer to "The Trilogy" as being Lord of the Rings.

I do. That's the Hulk I want to see on the silver screen who is a character unto himself.

Lol, I'm a die hard to the core, but I doubt even I could stomach that for a full movie

I literally tensed up when I read this......SAVAGE HULK IS THE HULK. What the he11 has this world come to.

I feel like Randall in Clerks 2 when he hears people refer to "The Trilogy" as being Lord of the Rings.

No, he's one version of the Hulk :woot:. He wasn't originally conceived that way, so to be technical, the Gray Hulk is the Hulk.

That being said, the Savage Hulk is the most popular iteration of course, and this is why I we got two motion pictures of him already, along with a TV show that while deviating from the strength, kept the intellect level close enough to the Savage Hulk.

The Hulk is presumably under control now, given the ending of TIH. The whole basis of the physical incarnation of the Hulk is Banner's inner demons and turmoil, in all of their forms, which explains the different appearances throughout the years.

The Savage Hulk just represents one side, the infantile, simple gratification recesses of the young Bruce Banner's repressed rage. With the Hulk under his control, I don't see why another version of this repressed personality, the mischievous, cunning & self centered Gray Hulk, shouldn't emerge.

The Savage Hulk is but one incarnation of the Hulk(and not even the original one at that) and also is the most difficult to portray in live action as a speaking, somewhat intelligent character without it seeming utterly ******ed. IMO, the only way to show THAT Hulk is to first show the progression from the original TO that other state over time(idealy, over the course of several movies...so you know I mean SLOWLY). Which is also as it happens exactly how it came to be in the comics.

The Savage Hulk is but one incarnation of the Hulk(and not even the original one at that) and also is the most difficult to portray in live action as a speaking, somewhat intelligent character without it seeming utterly ******ed. IMO, the only way to show THAT Hulk is to first show the progression from the original TO that other state over time(idealy, over the course of several movies...so you know I mean SLOWLY). Which is also as it happens exactly how it came to be in the comics.
icon14.gif
Precisely

If they want to go that route, then just have him be savage at the start when they're attempting to keep him under their control, then over time as he starts to interact with each of them on a more casual level, have him at the end of the film start acting more intelligent, to the shock of the characters.

Lol, I'm a die hard to the core, but I doubt even I could stomach that for a full movie

No, he's one version of the Hulk :woot:. He wasn't originally conceived that way, so to be technical, the Gray Hulk is the Hulk.

That being said, the Savage Hulk is the most popular iteration of course, and this is why I we got two motion pictures of him already, along with a TV show that while deviating from the strength, kept the intellect level close enough to the Savage Hulk.

The Hulk is presumably under control now, given the ending of TIH. The whole basis of the physical incarnation of the Hulk is Banner's inner demons and turmoil, in all of their forms, which explains the different appearances throughout the years.

The Savage Hulk just represents one side, the infantile, simple gratification recesses of the young Bruce Banner's repressed rage. With the Hulk under his control, I don't see why another version of this repressed personality, the mischievous, cunning & self centered Gray Hulk, shouldn't emerge.

LOL...yeah...the gray Hulk was indeed the first run. It also lasted 6 issues and was shelved. Then the classic/iconic version came and brought the character to prominence. Lasting how many years? This led to toys, cartoons, etc....but you touched on this in your post. I'm not saying the Gray Hulk doesn't have his place with others...he just doesn't with me.

And as far as Savage Hulk sounding "******ed"...well that's one opinion and a completely short sighted one at that....I suggest you go pick up the newest Hulk essentials book. With a writer who knows what he's doing, the Savage Hulk comes across as anything but ******ed.

LOL...yeah...the gray Hulk was indeed the first run. It also lasted 6 issues and was shelved. Then the classic/iconic version came and brought the character to prominence. Lasting how many years? This led to toys, cartoons, etc....but you touched on this in your post. I'm not saying the Gray Hulk doesn't have his place with others...he just doesn't with me.

And as far as Savage Hulk sounding "******ed"...well that's one opinion and a completely short sighted one at that....I suggest you go pick up the newest Hulk essentials book. With a writer who knows what he's doing, the Savage Hulk comes across as anything but ******ed.

I'm not trying to disrespect you at all, but I've grown up reading the Hulk and have seen numerous writers handle that particular incarnation, I don't suppose I need to read anything to get a grasp on him. The Hulk is many things to many people, me personally, I like the Savage Hulk just as much as the Gray Hulk. I really don't care for the Professor, and I could go on and on. Point being, IMO, it would be an opportune time to introduce a different side to the character.

I never said the Savage Hulk was ******ed, I said that I personally couldn't stomach it for a full movie if he were to speak with the frequency he does in the comics with that tone. I also think it's short-sighted of you to discard a huge portion of the characters history. Also, if we're being technical, even after the color change to green, the Hulk retained his initial level of intelligence for quite some time thereafter. To take it even further, the TV show is what brought the character to prominence to the average joe, the Hulk would be nowhere near the level of popularity he is now without it, regardless of how much of a bastardized version it might have been.

We got him saying Hulk Smash, Leave me Alone, Puny Human. We got him fighting the military and desiring to be left alone. We got it. At what time do you try something else? For years people thought a serious Batman wouldn't work too, because all they were exposed to was Adam West in live action. Turns out, sometimes, change is good.

Last edited:
I've always said Hulk & Batman have shared a similar road to popularity with all the pitfalls that it entails(basically, each having 2 distinct fanbases..TV & comics) and that those 2 different fanbases that each have have proven to be very troublesome in making movies that are good.

I never said the Savage Hulk was ******ed, I said that I personally couldn't stomach it for a full movie if he were to speak with the frequency he does in the comics with that tone. I also think it's short-sighted of you to discard a huge portion of the characters history. Also, if we're being technical, even after the color change to green, the Hulk retained his initial level of intelligence for quite some time thereafter. To take it even further, the TV show is what brought the character to prominence to the average joe, the Hulk would be nowhere near the level of popularity he is now without it, regardless of how much of a bastardized version it might have been.

No, you didn't say he was ******ed. Another poster used that term.

Green or Grey doesn't really matter in the beginning...his dialogue was that of the Grey Hulk in the first 6 issues. We could go into printer inconsistencies, but then we'd have a debate about whether the Hulk would have ever been green at all. I don't feel like going there.

Yes, the TV show did bring the Hulk out to the average Joe....but what version/time period got the character to that point of popularity to be considered for prime time. The popularity of the Savage Hulk's monthly title was the reason a show got launched.

I disregard the Grey Hulk because it's just not the true Hulk to me. Is that short sighted? Perhaps, but you also said you have no use for the Professor. At least we both agree on that one

We got him saying Hulk Smash, Leave me Alone, Puny Human. We got him fighting the military and desiring to be left alone. We got it. At what time do you try something else? For years people thought a serious Batman wouldn't work too, because all they were exposed to was Adam West in live action. Turns out, sometimes, change is good.

Well, they are trying something else...see the new Avengers Cartoon. That's probably as far as they're going to take it for now.
I'm starting to think that the reason for the new TV show (rumors) is to re-establish the character to people who don't understand all the different incarnations.

I've always said Hulk & Batman have shared a similar road to popularity with all the pitfalls that it entails(basically, each having 2 distinct fanbases..TV & comics) and that those 2 different fanbases that each have have proven to be very troublesome in making movies that are good.

I strongly agree with that....

I disregard the Grey Hulk because it's just not the true Hulk to me. Is that short sighted? Perhaps, but you also said you have no use for the Professor. At least we both agree on that one

I can respect your opinion, it just seemed that initially you were flabbergasted that someone would even consider any other incarnation for The Avengers. To me, at some point, I feel like we have to explore different avenues. I'm not naive enough to think directors can keep using the Savage Hulk without making it stale. They already had to retreat to elements of the TV show for TIH.

Well, they are trying something else...see the new Avengers Cartoon. That's probably as far as they're going to take it for now.
I'm starting to think that the reason for the new TV show (rumors) is to re-establish the character to people who don't understand all the different incarnations.

I've seen the cartoon for the first time just this past weekend...and I don't know what to think of that yet. The dynamic between Banner and the Hulk are the most interesting parts, at least to me. To have Banner somewhat accept the Hulk renders some of the psychological aspects of the character obsolete.

I do agree with the new TV show however. I don't think it will be anything at all like the previous one, partially because of the limitations of the 70's, but also because I feel as you do. It gives more time to tell the story properly, and give insight to who the Hulk really is.

With regards to the Avengers cartoon out now, I think the truce between Bruce & the Hulk is merely a temporary one.

it just seemed that initially you were flabbergasted that someone would even consider any other incarnation for The Avengers.

That's a correct assessment. I'm pretty one dimensional in my Hulk tastes as far as movies go.

It's a bit of a mistake to assume the gray Hulk persona just left after that short first run. That persona stuck around more or less the same (not quite so nasty tho') into 'Tales to Astonish' then over a couple of issues around the mid to late 60's (without explanation I think) the 3rd person speech started taking over, rather than being a more occasional reference.

Even after that the speech was still inconsistent from writer to writer and it wasn't really until he took that title over in the late 60's that the 'Savage Hulk' which would become the most memorable stuck.

That stayed until he was rendered mindless in the mid 80's, then the gray Hulk was brought back a little later on for a few years. This was followed by the Professor in the early 90's who had good run as well, and since then his personality has been a bit all over the place. Currently he has the 'Planet Hulk' persona, which is basically a more noble version of the gray Hulk one.

So in around 48 years of history, the savage Hulk was the norm for less than half of that.

Having said all that though the 'Hulk Smash' one is easily the most familiar to the public, even though I would not mind seeing a 'Planet hulk' type one in Avengers.

Planet hulk style hulk would be fantastic in avengers.

Whedon has made otherworldly or supernatural creatures speak in the king's english before without it coming off goofy, so I think he may go ahead and have Hulk just go ahead and be coherent.

This needs to be somewhere between Savage Hulk and Grey Hulk - i.e. speaking but not totally infantile. The Disney XD Hulk...is about right.

Hulk shouldn't be talking in movies. It feels stupid. I like it in comics but it doesn't work in movies. Hulk needs to be convincing, not laughable. It didn't work in The Incredible Hulk.

Can you please explain your statement?

This needs to be somewhere between Savage Hulk and Grey Hulk - i.e. speaking but not totally infantile. The Disney XD Hulk...is about right.

What you are describing is the Hulk that is being written in the comic book now. Fans call him Gravage unofficially, officially he is nick named Green Scar. He posses element of both the versions you've mentioned.

From what I have seen of the micro episodes of the new Avengers cartoon, Hulk there seems to be alternating between 1st person and 3rd person speech, depending on his agitation level. I think it works pretty good and reminds me(in personality) greatly of the gravage Hulk(who I consider to be in most personality ways a throwback to the Hulk as first conceived in issue #1 in 1962). Hopefully the movie Hulk in the Avengers is similar.

This is the way Stan Lee wrote Hulk in most of the Tales To Astonish issues. I like the idea that as Hulk gets angrier, his speech becomes more 3rd personish.

If they want to go that route, then just have him be savage at the start when they're attempting to keep him under their control, then over time as he starts to interact with each of them on a more casual level, have him at the end of the film start acting more intelligent, to the shock of the characters.

That would be a great way to handle all aspects of the character! Make him more like Savage at the start, but by the end of the movie more like Professor, telling Tony that his 'toys' have structural flaws, and demonstrating it, by crushing one of the older suits!

Also having him become more like Savage when he's in action with less dialogue, and more roars, rather than "Hulk Smash!" every other phrase. Hearing that once, and maybe one refrence to "Puny humans" would be enough.

I don't want Hulk under any type of mind control. Savage Hulk is Hulk. He should talk like he did in the cartoons; he should hate Banner, and have the intelligence of a child.

For god sake don't have him cracking jokes, or quoting Shakespeare, Darwin or Einstein. :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"