how would you revamp the X-men

GoldenAgeHero

Avenger
Reaction score
the status quo they have now is pretty damn boring. i dont care for house of M nor the 199 and all that crap. personally I'll retcon a **** load of stoylines and characters(including the ones from the future,altnernate dimesion,etc). retcon the shiar crap let havok be scotts only brother,**** vulcan.

kill list:
rogue
gambit
Nightcrawler
professor Xavier(he isn't needed anymore, he's served his purpose)
Magneto( tiring recurring villian)
Ice-man( he just sucks now)

retcon:
rachel grey
Nocturine
juggs turning good
basicaly any character created by claremonte from some other timeline.

Roster:

same as astonishing X-men

New status quo:

I always liked the idea of the xmen investigating mutant phenomena sorta like the X-files or planetary. Instead of recycling the same mutant destiny crap storylines.

how about you guys?

I like everything above except Kurt's death (although they have written him into a hole).

Personally, I'd make it more about family- the family we choose. That familial feeling and closeness is what really worked for CC (Lord knows it wasn't plotting or pacing!) and what was so severly lacking in Morrison, which is where I feel the series truly broke down. Internecine struggles with everyone at each other's throats came of as egocentric immaturity... not an admirable trait in heroes.

The best way to revamp the X-Men is to put Carey and JR Jr. on a book and call it X-Men: Legacies.

He writes the best Bobby Drake and this side of Lobdell as well as the best Sam Guthrie I've ever read. His Rogue is truely a badass and he's just about the only writer who understands how to include Cable in a story.

see problem is i don't like the retro X-men. ,cable, rogue,etc all these characters are too old school for me.

the way whedon handles astonishing is much more refreshing.

The way Whedon handles Astonishing X-Men is about as old school as you can get. He's got classic Logan, classic Beast, classic Cyclops (with a little bit more 'tude), the same characterization Emma's had for the past few years and his Kitty is like every other female lead he's written.

Carey is the one taking his characters further and letting them actually grow, where as Whedon is just doing the same old, same old.

see problem is i don't like the retro X-men. ,cable, rogue,etc all these characters are too old school for me.

the way whedon handles astonishing is much more refreshing.

heh... he just called Cable and Rogue... "old school".

Youngsta!! (Love that avvy, though!)

The way Whedon handles Astonishing X-Men is about as old school as you can get. He's got classic Logan, classic Beast, classic Cyclops (with a little bit more 'tude), the same characterization Emma's had for the past few years and his Kitty is like every other female lead he's written.

Carey is the one taking his characters further and letting them actually grow, where as Whedon is just doing the same old, same old.

Yep & Yep.

but the storylines are different, his approach to the characters are better then carey's.(the dialogue and character interaction are just better imo). i can neverbring myself to read anything outisde of that comic,cause i know i'll get annoyed.

caery is the one doing the same old sameold. whedon wants to stay away from that sentinal crap mutant destiny bs.

but the storylines are different, his approach to the characters are better then carey's.(the dialogue and character interaction are just better imo). i can neverbring myself to read anything outisde of that comic,cause i know i'll get annoyed.

You just said that Whedon's take on the characters is fresher then Carey's. While you may like Whedon's book more, it doesn't make your previous statement true. Not to mention the fact that you just now revealed that you don't even read Carey's X-Men because you know you'll "get annoyed." So, how is it that you can compare two things, one of which you know nothing about?

... and ALL of the "Mutant Destiny" stuff is "New School" or "kindergarten" or something like that...

caery is the one doing the same old sameold. whedon wants to stay away from that sentinal crap mutant destiny bs.

If Carey was doing things old school, his Cannonball would be a whiney, "I'm not good enough for the big leagues" baby. Instead, he's made him into a complete badass. He's grown so much that he considers Cable to be a peer instead of a teacher or a mentor like he has for so much of his past.

Carey's Iceman is also a complete badass. Instead of cracking jokes and goofing around, he's taken the initiative and along with his partner Sam (another one of Carey's good ideas), has shown that he's a dedicated member of the X-Men. The only other time Iceman was this good was under Lobdell's pen during Operation: Zero Tolerance.

And lemme tell ya kid...Whedon's classic X-Men in space story? It's been done to death. I'm not saying it's bad; quite the contrary, actually. I'm enjoying it as much as the next guy. But, it's not as if he's breaking new ground here. Of the three X-Men writers currently writing, Carey is one who's taking his characters further then they've been before.

Kill List

Wolverine
Storm
Emma

Retcon
Vulcan
Nocturne

Retire Professor X, Magneto goes more mainstream and less villain. Magneto plays global politics and gathers mutants and uses them for global problem solving. This exacerbates mutant/human relations because Magneto is actually in the process of proving that humans are obsolete.

how bout lets give them a break?

-whens the last time they really had a storyline that wasn't epic?
-whens the last time we saw them lounging by the pool or playing a game of basket ball like in the 90's?
-whens the last time we saw one go out on a date?
-whens the last time we saw them "hang out" or get along as a family?

its been a hell of a long time thats what.

-A slow reversal of M-Day. Not everyone has their powers back, but every so often, new mutants are popping up and becoming repowered.

-Make Charles headmaster of the school, Emma his assistant, and Cyclops leader of all field teams.

-Rachel Summers. Not Grey. Summers. She's still called Marvel Girl, but she's also a Summers again.

-Havok, Rachel, Polaris, and Lilandra come back to Earth. Hepzibah rejoins the Starjammers.

-Realizing she couldn't trust herself completely, Jean will resurrect herself in two pieces. One piece will be the Jean we all know and love, with some of her Phoenix powers. The other piece will be similar to the Jean we know and love, but will contain the part of her mind capable of becoming Dark Phoenix. Now we have a normal (if not more powerful than usual) Phoenix in the X-Men, and a brand new villain.

-Give Cable back a small fraction of his telepathy. Maybe put him on Emma's level, or just under. He's a capable enough soldier without the powers, but I'm sure they'd help.

-Put Archangel back on a team.

-Put Darwin on a team for more than one story.

-Send Magneto back to Genosha, and let him rebuild the damn nation. In peace. And let him stay there, and not be used as a villain.

-Repower Danielle Moonstar, and make her the field leader/mentor of the student team.

how bout lets give them a break?

-whens the last time they really had a storyline that wasn't epic?
-whens the last time we saw them lounging by the pool or playing a game of basket ball like in the 90's?
-whens the last time we saw one go out on a date?
-whens the last time we saw them "hang out" or get along as a family?

its been a hell of a long time thats what.

Thank YOU.

That's whats been MISSING.

The Primary X-MEN have not had a break in a long time.

Damn Storm didn't get a real honeymoon,........

I realize that everybody probably likes "action" all the time.

But I miss the dance classes, the wolverine roaming the woods around the mansion, The Painter in his room, Banshee and Kurt tearing apart the Blackbird,...

sigh.

Y'know. They really have lost a lot of their personality, but I hand that over to having to be written in the context of whatever crossover Marvel is promoting at the time. Hopefully the large scale upheaval of the Marvel Universe slows down long enough for us to start seeing the heroes just relaxing together again (wasn't the last poker game we even saw taking place during Cap's funeral? EVEN THAT wasn't about unwinding).

make the x-men the original five or if you'd like to put beast back in the avengers replace him with shadowcat and have the others move on

that's kinda dumb though... if they tried to replace them with the original 5 the school would be closed down, and we'd no longer have any of the students either...

personally i think there fine the way they are, they just need a break. they've been through hell and need some down time. Let them go back to actual character development

I'd give them all leather jackets and mean attitudes.

I would pair X-Men down to two books, and ensure that you didn't have to read both. I prefer Rogue with the Ms. Marvel type powers, because it allows her to be affective without having to absorb someone else, but I'm not sure that would actually help the plot at all. It seems like most of the characters from the horrible characters for X-Statics, like doop have been killed off anyway, so I'd focus on creating good fun story lines that you don't have to go broke in order to follow.

Y'know. They really have lost a lot of their personality, but I hand that over to having to be written in the context of whatever crossover Marvel is promoting at the time. Hopefully the large scale upheaval of the Marvel Universe slows down long enough for us to start seeing the heroes just relaxing together again (wasn't the last poker game we even saw taking place during Cap's funeral? EVEN THAT wasn't about unwinding).
Isn't that a problem in a lot of comics, though? Spider-Man hasn't had any down time in years, either. All of the characters are marching from event to event, it seems, and there's never any time to let their hair down and relax the way they used to. Good luck getting a whole issue devoted to the X-Men bonding over a baseball game again in today's comics.

Isn't that a problem in a lot of comics, though? Spider-Man hasn't had any down time in years, either. All of the characters are marching from event to event, it seems, and there's never any time to let their hair down and relax the way they used to. Good luck getting a whole issue devoted to the X-Men bonding over a baseball game again in today's comics.

Maybe they could do that with the Initiative and have the various 50 state teams play baseball against each other.

They'd need a big diamond.

Joking aside, though, an inter-Initiative sports league would be cool. It'd play up the mundanity of superheroism, which is what the Initiative is really all about--taking the larger-than-life superheroes and bringing them down to the level of everyday cops and firefighters.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"