I liked this better than X2, X3

Torch'sGurl

Reaction score
Okay, let me explain. To me, all I remembered from the X-Men was Wolverine. I didn't recongize him without the yellow spandex. I didn't exactly grow up on the X-Men. When I saw characters like Sabertooth, Toad and Mystique, you know mutants that look like mutants(of what i thought mutants would look like, i mean obviously mutant). Then X2, yes, Nightcrawler is my favorite German demon, but that was it. In X3, Angel, Beast and some of those who join the brotherhood, were obviously mutants. I know makeup and junk like that cost money. I hoped at at least some more obvious mutant (more main line characters were obvious mutants). The other reason, is because the storyline is straight forward. I'm not saying the others were bad, its just liked the first one better.

Same here.

While I enjoyed X2 and X3, and I intend on watching any future X-Men film to hit the big screen in the future...I honestly felt that the first movie was the best one.

Parlais-vous l'anglais, la fille du flambeau?

There were aspects of the first movie that were better than the other two. The non-Wolverine X-Men got more exposure, and Magneto was far more serious and not tongue-in-cheek like he was in the second. Most noticeably Storm, while still not quite accurate to the source material, was closer to it than in either sequel.

Cyclops said:
There were aspects of the first movie that were better than the other two. The non-Wolverine X-Men got more exposure, and Magneto was far more serious and not tongue-in-cheek like he was in the second. Most noticeably Storm, while still not quite accurate to the source material, was closer to it than in either sequel.

For once, I might find myself agreeing with you.

We certainly had more Cyclops in X1, it hadn't yet become Wolverine-centred. And Storm looked more like Storm, despite the uncharacteristic fear of humans.

X1 and X2 both had more gripping, involving opening sequences than X3. X1's Auschwitz sequence was a wonderfully dark and sombre scene that not only gave Magneto's origin and motivation but a grim foreshadowing of the possible future of all mutants.

X3's opening scene served its purpose but lacked the 'power' of the intro of the previous two movies. I keep wondering if an X3 intro showing the emergence of Jean's power when her childhood friend was killed (as in the comic origin) might have had more impact, and that power could have been shown to be chaotic and unmanageable.

Cyclops was already slipping away from us in X2 and I suspect Fox's ideas for an X3 clashed terribly with what Bryan wanted.

I loved this movie its not complicated just simple X-men versus Magneto.....in the real world...every one had great screentime......This has some of my favorite parts in the whole trilogy

X-Maniac said:
We certainly had more Cyclops in X1, it hadn't yet become Wolverine-centred. And Storm looked more like Storm, despite the uncharacteristic fear of humans.

"Sometimes I am afraid of them."

Keyword "sometimes". Yeah, sometimes, I'm afraid of humans too. I bet sometimes, you're afraid of humans. Just because she said that she's sometimes afraid doesn't mean that she's got this uncharacteristic fear of people. It just means that sometimes, they creep her out. Which is very natural. Believable. I like that.

X-Maniac said:
X3's opening scene served its purpose but lacked the 'power' of the intro of the previous two movies. I keep wondering if an X3 intro showing the emergence of Jean's power when her childhood friend was killed (as in the comic origin) might have had more impact, and that power could have been shown to be chaotic and unmanageable.

I think Jean's experience with her childhood friend dying (and the way that Jean's telepathy allowed her to "feel" her friend die) would be a LOT better of a motivation for a darker, alternate persona, than just the fact that Xavier put mental blocks into her head.

As far as X-Men goes... I honestly feel it's the worst of the trilogy.

But I hate that word, "worst", when regarding the X-Men films. Because "worst" implies bad. And "bad" is the last thing any of these films were.

I just feel that X2 and X-Men: The Last Stand both went above and beyond X-Men, which in itself, is a very good movie.

So it's not the worst, it's the least awesome.

There are some amazing parts of it though. Xavier and Magneto's first interaction, at the Senate meeting, is one of the best scenes in the entire trilogy.

the first x men felt like an xmen movie how i imagined it.

X1 was a great little movie and was far better X3 IMO. The littke chracter moments in X1 were just great. Magneto's opening, the Xavier/Magneto talk at the senate, Cyclops' talk to an unconscious Xavier "You've taught me everything in my life that was ever worth knowing.....and if anything happens.....i'll take care of them." Great scene which was criminally ignored in X3. Also, Logan and Rogue on the train, and Logan holding a thought to be dead Rogue at the end were just beautiful and far more powerful than the cheap attempts in X3. X2 was the best of the trilogy though.

In my fanscript for X3 I had the intro of Jean and Ann (Ann dying, Jean's powers first intiating and going crazy in an effort to try and save Ann). I felt, as I wrote it at least, that it was a far more gripping, emotional and better way to start the movie (in comparison to the intros of the first two movies).

Again, just my opinion. Here's the opening that I wrote --

BLACKNESS.

Then, a voice. Crisp. Comforting. Light, eloquent music plays.

XAVIER (V.O.)
Evolution. Nature’s plan and pattern. Spanning years, centuries, even eons.

A sharp light EXPLODES, millions of DNA SPIRALS roaring past in rich crystalline colors. The DNA strands coalesce around one another, weaving into a complex globe-like sphere.

XAVIER (V.O.)
Yet what happens when nature evolves too quickly? What happens when man is forced to ask –-

Then slowly, FIRE spreads across the DNA SPHERE, consuming it, turning it into a sizzling ball of cindered strands.

XAVIER (V.O.)
-- can she be stopped? Can man, the most unique of all her images, halt a plan predating his very own existence? Can they halt the world? Stay the future? And ultimately...stop us...?

The DNA turns to ASH, drifting away, leaving only darkness.

XAVIER (V.O.)
...Mutants.

In a RUSH of MUSIC and LIGHT, WORDS fill the screen:

X-MEN 3

CREDIT SEQUENCE ENDS with the slamming of CEREBRO’S ARMORED DOOR. An image forms in the door’s CRYSTAL LOCK. An IMAGE of:

A mailbox emblazed with the title “GREY”.

EXT. JEAN GREY’S HOUSE – DAY
Down the street, TWO children PLAY in the afternoon heat. JEAN GREY (9) and ANN MALCOM (9) are throwing a Frisbee across the LAWN. For a few seconds they TOSS around the toy, and giggle. As Ann THROWS the Frisbee harder, competitively –

Jean manages to CATCH it. Smirking, Jean musters up the strength and returns a MIGHTIER throw -- in which Ann struggles to catch it, laughing, until --

SLAM! A VEHICLE UNEXPECTEDLY HITS ANN, PINNING HER TO A TREE WITHIN SECONDS.

Jean REACTS to this -- horrified.

EXT. ACCIDENT - JEAN GREY’S HOUSE - DAY
Jean RUNS to the CRASH. Smoke and fuselage from the vehicle create fog and smoke, but once VANISHES enough Jean catches an awful visage.
Ann is still alive, coughing blood. She runs to her friend’s side. Looking at her -- Jean is convulsing.

She looks at Ann, who WATCHES, SHAKEN.

EXT. JEAN’S P.V.
Her mind’s RACING -- BLACKOUTS -- and then HALLUCINATIONS of --

EXT. JEAN GREY’S HOUSE - PREVIOUS
Jean and Ann playing Frisbee.

INT. JEAN GREY'S HOUSE - JEAN'S ROOM - PREVIOUS
Jean and Ann play with dolls.

INT. JEAN GREY'S HOUSE - JEAN'S ROOM - PREVIOUS
Ann combs Jean's hair affectionately.

EXT. JEAN’S P.V.
She looks AROUND her -- the LEAFS and TREES begin to rustle with the WIND, catching up in speed. She SCREAMS, uncertainly, and -

THE VEHICLE SLOWLY DEPARTS FROM ITS POSITION, ALLOWING ANN TO FALL TO THE GROUND.

Ann FALLS into Jean’s lap -- she tries to MAINTAIN these occurrences, these “FEELINGS”. Jean lies her hand on Ann’s -- sensing her PULSE, her heart beat growing weaker and weaker -- Jean touches Ann’s chest and -- UNEXPECTEDLY -- sends BOLTS OF POWER -- they pass -- causing Ann to REACT, her body SEIZING -- Jean’s HAND is shaking -- the beat grows weaker, Jean is trying HARDER --

Ann’s crying, and MUTTERS one last word –

ANN
Jea –-

The heartbeat is no more. Drenched in a POOL of blood, Jean REACTS. Adults SWARM her.

Jean CRIES in pain, holding her dead best friend. The adults are apprehensive about approaching --

The CARNAGE of the vehicle is LEVITATED around Jean and Ann, circling and enclosing them both.

Then, Jean SCREAMS. The vehicle, LEVITATED, begins to CRUNCH and DISSIMULATE --

The vehicle RISES in the air -- the adults look up -- and the VEHICLE EXPLODES into a million pieces as we CUT TO –-

That's it.

Value: X2 > X3 > X1
General: X1 = X2 > X3
Personal: X1 = X2 = X3

-TNC

I love the first movie, love the second, and enjoyed the third!! I agree about Storm though, Halle's performance was the strongest in the first movie. She had the perfect look and her accent was okay, if she just worked on it more, it would have been perfect. Storm was exotic looking in X1, and should have kept that look. Where the X2 and X3 lack is the severe lack of Cyclops and too much Wolverine. Rogue had purpose in the first movie, but than X2 and X3, she was just wasted. I'd say Jean, Professor Xavier, Magneto, Mystique, and maybe Bobby were the most consistent constructed characters of all 3 movies.

I agree with the topic creator. X-Men was better than the second and leagues ahead of the third. It just feels right. The directing, the acting, the writing, and most certainly the wonderful score by Kamen (the other two were quite good but I don't like bombastic themes for X-Men, it just doesn't fit, for me) make this the best X-film. X2 is very close behind it, though.

I think my biggest reason for liking the first so much is because they nailed Cyclops and the dynamic between him, Wolverine, and Jean Grey.

One of the biggest reasons I liked X-1 best was young Magneto in the concentration camp. That scene actually had my mom crying and me tearing up. No scene in any of the other movies has had that much emotion.:up:

X-Men did have greater emotional depth than X3, but don't forget that is was the first in the series. It had to introduce these characters, so it had to establish their characters, traits, beliefs etc.

Whereas in X3, because we already knew how each character behaved, all this character development wasn't needed as much. They had already established these characters, given them their distinct personalities.

In X2, we saw them evolve and grow. We saw how troubled situations affected them. The Jean/Scott/Logan relationship developed, and Storm became more confident.

And in X3, something big was happening. And these characters had a job to do. X-Men and X2 were leading up to X-Men: The Last Stand.

So to those who say X3 has no emotional depth to it: it works as a trilogy, the films lead on to one another. X-Men and X2 gave us the emotional depth, X3 gave us the well-deserved action.

Why if the first two movies had emotional depth and X3 be the exception??....Its a trilogy not episodes......each movie had something big happening not only in X3....extablished characters yeah....that means they all are suppose to be fleshed out by the end of X3...and not dead or cured and get crowded from introducing to many new characters....Each movie in a trilogy should be a balanced movie on its own.....

I'm saying X3 didn't have the character depth as much, as the other two, because it's not really necessary imo. Would you rather see a bunch of people pouring their hearts out, or see a great film full of action and supsense, knowing that the other two films have led up to it?

I know all 3 films should be great on their own, with the right balance, but if they dragged down on the character development, there wouldn't be as much action. And some might be disappointed. After all, the other 2 movies weren't loaded with action.

How could a movie with character development get dragged down?...Tons of classic movies are ones based primarily on character development........you could have action with character development X2 showed how much it could work as well as many other movies...... movies loaded with action lacks soul,when it lacks soul it makes the action rather useless and is just a fun factor....

I'm saying X3 didn't have the character depth as much, as the other two, because it's not really necessary imo. Would you rather see a bunch of people pouring their hearts out, or see a great film full of action and supsense, knowing that the other two films have led up to it?

I know all 3 films should be great on their own, with the right balance, but if they dragged down on the character development, there wouldn't be as much action. And some might be disappointed. After all, the other 2 movies weren't loaded with action.

i'd like to see that one. but i saw X3 instead.

the only thing I enjoyed about this film was the better sense of teamwork.

no i like them all the same but x-men the last stand was pretty cool so th elast stand

Ehh, I loved them all. The first two definatly had more character develpoment, but I agree with TKing, it wasn't really neccisary in X3. It's a draw for me.

X1 is the best. It's a science-fiction drama, it's sober and serious and tries to create realistic characters. X2 is far more of a traditional superhero movie, and XIII is just a live-action cartoon.

Go back and watch the opening of X1, until Logan's truck explodes. Then watch XIII and see how far the series fell.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"