Ideas for a more 'Realistic' D.C. universe

Being pedantic about language and grammar is a pointless exercise. You as a philosopher should realise the continually changing qualities of language. Language and punctuation are progressive, therefore asserting the rules associated as absolutes, is in fact wrong !!!

Obviously I don’t actually believe this, but if I wanted to be a Anal I could just as well do. I don’t because its pretentious !

And that has stopped you when exactly?

Being pedantic about language and grammar is a pointless exercise. You as a philosopher should realise the continually changing qualities of language. Language and punctuation are progressive, therefore asserting the rules associated as absolutes, is in fact wrong !!!

Obviously I don’t actually believe this, but if I wanted to be a Anal I could just as well do. I don’t because its pretentious !
I don't know, that's not a very tenable position. Language evolves naturally, not because people discontinue their interest in maintaining it, and in some cases actively TRY to break it down.

Making a more realistic DC universe?

Have Greg Rucka write everything.

There. And we're done.

Does anyone else wish they would make Supermans powers internal ? Even in the science of Superman, they stated the energy difference from a yellow and red star would be minimal! Not only that but the amount of energy he could gain from ANY star (Blue,yellow, red, brown etc) at 100 % absorption rate, isn't nearly sufficient to provide him with the power levels he regularly illustrates ? He have trouble being as powerful as a locomotive as a 'Living Solar battery'. I don't know why they don’t make the Solar radiation as a catalyst for some form of internal 'cold fusion'. His cells would the go from living solar batteries, to living Suns. I.e. the sunlight would be used to synthesise organic molecules that his body would then 'Hyper metabolise' via cold fusion. The fusion reaction could be maintained via his Bio electrical field, consequently making his invulnerability a bi product of this Hyper metabolism. IMO, isn't only more realistic it makes him FAR more impressive. A 'Living Sun' sounds a lot more impressive and Godlike than a Living Solar Battery.

I actually kind of like this idea. Besides, it really doesn't change anything: Superman still absorbs solar radiation which fuels his powers. This is just a bit more detailed.

Making a more realistic DC universe?

Have Greg Rucka write everything.

There. And we're done.

That would simply make the DCU better in every respect.

They should have Supes be powered by a perpetual motion device; that would be much more realistic.

I guess maybe the idea is to blend a somewhat 'grounded' fantasy background for characters. Not all sure what that means, though...most comics you see have superpeople who should have died by gaining their powers. Like the deal where someone's in a lab, there's an explosion and they get powers. "Realism" would have them burn up like a crisp.

I guess maybe the idea is to blend a somewhat 'grounded' fantasy background for characters. Not all sure what that means, though...most comics you see have superpeople who should have died by gaining their powers. Like the deal where someone's in a lab, there's an explosion and they get powers. "Realism" would have them burn up like a crisp.

As random as it is, this reminds me of a joke I heard somewhere after I asked someone what the Count on Sesame Street was.

"I heard there was some guy who made some sort of equation or something that disproves the existance of vampires. And you KNOW it hit the Count the hardest. Poor guy. Crushed by the very numbers he loves so much."

For a start, Superman should lose a fight to Marvel heroes that are more powerful(ie, Thor) although, I think that's why Supes never fought the Silver Surfer in their team-up; it's almost as if DC conceded to Marvel," okay, you clearly have us beat here, but no one will see it."

No, Zombie, as far as I can tell it's generally accepted that on the whole, DC characters are pretty overpowered compared to Marvel characters. Wanna put your speedsters up against mine? No, I thought not. Here, let Superman just take out the entire X-franchise. Oh, what you got for me, Dr. Strange? Yeah, no, I think the Spectre will just choke him on his own magic, how 'bout that?

Silver Surfer? Give him to any New God and they'll make a meat pie out of him.

No, Zombie, as far as I can tell it's generally accepted that on the whole, DC characters are pretty overpowered compared to Marvel characters. Wanna put your speedsters up against mine? No, I thought not. Here, let Superman just take out the entire X-franchise. Oh, what you got for me, Dr. Strange? Yeah, no, I think the Spectre will just choke him on his own magic, how 'bout that?

Silver Surfer? Give him to any New God and they'll make a meat pie out of him.

For Strange, he'd probably just channel him as his own power, as he's done to people like Eternity.

As for the Surfer? I 'unno. Surfer is always in a state of holding back a massive amount of his power.

I used to think that in each of those cases it wasn't their time to go,.. and as such the universe tweaked itself to allow them to continue on by granting them the ability to survive the accident.

Now I just twist my "suspend belief knob" a couple of more ticks to the right and move on.

No one need be bothered by this topic. It will be deleted when the timeline reasserts itself.

Thank Mr Morrison, Starlin, and Waid. Their pseudo-meta-big wordy-science yet again saves the day via mystical time travel involving black holes or something.

For Strange, he'd probably just channel him as his own power, as he's done to people like Eternity.
Meh. I've never been as sold on Doctor Strange as everyone else. When the Scarlet Witch, the freaking Scarlet Witch, can just cancel out almost all mutation in the world, just like that, and all Doctor Strange can do is go, "uh, gee...well, this is gonna be tough...ah, **** it, I'm going home" he just doesn't do much for me. The Scarlet Witch? C'mon, this is DOCTOR STRANGE. He's the Sorceror Supreme. SUPREME. Can you imagine Dr. Fate sitting on his hands if someone pulled this **** in his world? Well, maybe the new one would, but not the real Doctor Fate!

Mistress Gluon said:
As for the Surfer? I 'unno. Surfer is always in a state of holding back a massive amount of his power.
Yeah, but I think guys like Infinity-Man, Darkseid, Yuga Khan, Izaya Highfather, Takion, etc. could take him out pretty fast, actually. Infinity-Man's beams can sap all energy from a target. Darkseid, and I'm speaking about the REAL Darkseid here, has the ol' Omega Effect. Yuga Khan is supposedly the most powerful New God ever, which makes him pretty big-time stuff. Highfather's the mo'fackin' Highfather. And Takion is...also the mo'fackin' Highfather.

I used to think that in each of those cases it wasn't their time to go,.. and as such the universe tweaked itself to allow them to continue on by granting them the ability to survive the accident.

Now I just twist my "suspend belief knob" a couple of more ticks to the right and move on.
No, no, you were right! It's just that the reason the universe was doing that, was that it was getting the **** beat out of it by Superboy Prime.

No one need be bothered by this topic. It will be deleted when the timeline reasserts itself.

Thank Mr Morrison, Starlin, and Waid. Their pseudo-meta-big wordy-science yet again saves the day

I thinks that what i mean by Realism .... Gritty pseudo science !

Any what does everybody think about this idea for Supes. It doesn't make him more realistsic, but it does make things a bit clearer !

The Solar battery idea is incredibely popular one, but it doesn't really make any sense ! If Superman was easily able to require the necessary energy from the sun to allows him to move mountains, and travel very near the speed of light without violating the 1st Law of thermodynamics (i.e. energy cannot be created or destroyed), the D.C sun would have to be Trillions of times more powerful than our own. If this was the case, surely the radiation would fry our atmosphere before life and humans even exitsed ? How then does Supermn get so much energy without affecting the rules of commonsense.

Quantum mechanics predicts that there almost an Infinite amount of 'realities' that exists for every two positioning of a particle. I.e. when someone chooses to go left and right, two realities emerge to allow both choices to be made. If this is the case (And its an emerging popular concept),it surely stands to reason that there are an infinite number of suns, all existing in the same position, but unable to interact with one another.

This is where Kryptonians come into the picture. Maybe Kryptonains have found away to vibarte their molecules between these universes. Supermans solar battery cells would therefore have access to an infinite amount of suns simutaneosuly.Obviously there is a limit to the amount of photons he cann absorb at once. But if he's able to store the energy in the same way as he could before, his strength would increase dramatically over time.

I call it Omni Solar Absorbtion.

Meh. I've never been as sold on Doctor Strange as everyone else. When the Scarlet Witch, the freaking Scarlet Witch, can just cancel out almost all mutation in the world, just like that, and all Doctor Strange can do is go, "uh, gee...well, this is gonna be tough...ah, **** it, I'm going home" he just doesn't do much for me. The Scarlet Witch? C'mon, this is DOCTOR STRANGE. He's the Sorceror Supreme. SUPREME. Can you imagine Dr. Fate sitting on his hands if someone pulled this **** in his world? Well, maybe the new one would, but not the real Doctor Fate!

Yeah, but I think guys like Infinity-Man, Darkseid, Yuga Khan, Izaya Highfather, Takion, etc. could take him out pretty fast, actually. Infinity-Man's beams can sap all energy from a target. Darkseid, and I'm speaking about the REAL Darkseid here, has the ol' Omega Effect. Yuga Khan is supposedly the most powerful New God ever, which makes him pretty big-time stuff. Highfather's the mo'fackin' Highfather. And Takion is...also the mo'fackin' Highfather.

Yeah, they're powerful, but it's not like the Surfer goes up against guys that aren't WAY more powerful than him and come out on top ever.

And the whole energy sapping thing would work if his energy wasn't in a constant state of repletion, and he couldn't suck energy in it's entirety out of anything with ease.

I thinks that what i mean by Realism .... Gritty pseudo science !

Any what does everybody think about this idea for Supes. It doesn't make him more realistsic, but it does make things a bit clearer !

The Solar battery idea is incredibely popular one, but it doesn't really make any sense ! If Superman was easily able to require the necessary energy from the sun to allows him to move mountains, and travel very near the speed of light without violating the 1st Law of thermodynamics (i.e. energy cannot be created or destroyed), the D.C sun would have to be Trillions of times more powerful than our own. If this was the case, surely the radiation would fry our atmosphere before life and humans even exitsed ? How then does Supermn get so much energy without affecting the rules of commonsense.

Quantum mechanics predicts that there almost an Infinite amount of 'realities' that exists for every two positioning of a particle. I.e. when someone chooses to go left and right, two realities emerge to allow both choices to be made. If this is the case (And its an emerging popular concept),it surely stands to reason that there are an infinite number of suns, all existing in the same position, but unable to interact with one another.

This is where Kryptonians come into the picture. Maybe Kryptonains have found away to vibarte their molecules between these universes. Supermans solar battery cells would therefore have access to an infinite amount of suns simutaneosuly.Obviously there is a limit to the amount of photons he cann absorb at once. But if he's able to store the energy in the same way as he could before, his strength would increase dramatically over time.

I call it Omni Solar Absorbtion.

How would uh, the first law of thermody be violated by finite speed and finite energy collected?

It's more of his body's ability to use that energy for it's own biological purposes. He isn't literally redirecting the same energy as a thrust to propel himself to those speeds.

How would uh, the first law of thermody be violated by finite speed and finite energy collected?

It's more of his body's ability to use that energy for it's own biological purposes. He isn't literally redirecting the same energy as a thrust to propel himself to those speeds.

Whether its energy needed to fly (via an exotic means) or contract his muscles (i.e. punching or lifting) hes still going to require energy to do the work. As this link will explain direct solar energy doesn't provide nearly enough !
http://www.bluetights.net/theplanet/showthread.php?t=22265

Yeah, they're powerful, but it's not like the Surfer goes up against guys that aren't WAY more powerful than him and come out on top ever.

And the whole energy sapping thing would work if his energy wasn't in a constant state of repletion, and he couldn't suck energy in it's entirety out of anything with ease.
Let's leave this alone before we turn it into the DTL.

Exactly. It's not an equal relationship between sunlight energy absorbed and superpowers used, but it is directly proportional. It seems possible, within the realm of comic-book realism, for him to absorb energy as a solar battery and turn it into a greater display of power than that sunlight might generate on its own.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

• C. Lee
    Superherohype Administrator

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"