• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Sequels If I would've been in charge of the X-Men series, this would've been the rosters...

I agree with you. If this movie is going to be marketed to non-comic book fans as well, why not feature the most iconic/memorable characters?
As much as I respect the original team, they would probably be kind of boring from most people's perspective.

Ok here is my take on the history of comic book to movie...

Back in the 80's and 90's the comic to movie wasnt really a great transition. Superman was considered a success of the genre spannng the late 70's but only with its two sequels, then we have Batman in the 90's which again had two successful movies before it flopped big time... It was because of this that the studios didnt want to take a risk... During the mid to late 90's many studios tried to revive the comic book franchise and try and make it as big as such movies like Jurassic Park and Terminator, but the effects at the time deemed it impossible to render a superhero movie that looks effective... it suffered from the same problems it had in the past. Then marvel sold most of its movie rights to studios in hopes one of those characters would be picked up, one studio brought the Fantastic Four franchise but didnt really work on making the film, in the end marvel said they wanted the rights back and they made a real cheapply made Fantastif Four movie that only the few have seen online. Feeling at the end of the comic book genre in the movies One studio, i think it was New Line, that wanted to do a horror based on Vampires but give it a gritty realistic edge of the underground real world. However they lacked an angel as there have been many Vampire stories been told before and havent been a success and well Van Helsing and Bram Stokers dracula were owned by other studios... But somehow they found Blade, an untapped vampire story just waiting to appear on the big screen. This was considered a big risk to them, but Blade was was a character that appeared in the comics since the 70's and most of the fans of the comics now in there late 20's and probably horror fans too saw the first amazingly done Comic Book Movie...

But this wasnt the end, Studios everywhere realised that there approach to comic book movies were wrong, instead of the superhero saves the day story, they realised that there was more levels and complex story that mirrors more than one genre, and by tapping into the other genre they would tap into that market of people who would never normally see a superhero movie... For example.

Fox had been trying to make a way to have X-Men come to the big screen, but it was Bryan Singer who showed them that X-Men face the same social problems that a minorities have faced. With that this movie then went from small but big fan base market, and the minority markets.

Sony wanted to make Spiderman, but again wanted to give it a gritty story, something that would cement it in the real world, Sam Raimi discoveored that Spiderman really is that classic Romeo and Juliet style story, On one had you have Peter Parker who is Spiderman, someone the public fear and love, where you have Mary Jane who is dating his best friend who is the son of the green goblin... Complex Drama

However these cross genre movies havent always worked, Fox tried to turn Daredevil into its own Batman movie, the lone hero walks the night fighting crime... I enjoyed the movie but i think it suffered because nobody knew who daredevil was and what the movie was about. Another unsuccesful franchise is Hulk, they still dont seem to have given up on it, but really Hulk is not a good story to tell and they have tried the love drama angel... twice and it hasnt worked. Although i do think Edward Norton makes a better bruce banner. - The problem with the Hulk is that they should of really cross genre the story with a war story, like they did with Iron Man, and that is why Iron Man was excellent. Hulk is a powerful war machine, he is the Dr.Manhattan but with less powers, instead of the goverment trying to capture him all the time, they could of really showed what the hulk could of done for them... such a waste.

Fantastic four was an excellent franchise aimed for the younger generation but fans got peed off with that because they wanted it to be more gritty and thats now really who they were marketing for. Problem is that devide of who do they market too caused the sequel to suffer leaving the fact that Silver Surfer and Galactus the ultimate ending to a trilogy is actually just the second outing for them... LOL Mind you they can rectofy this... the story didnt show the level of time between the two movies so we could intially make a new Fantastic Four 2 and rename to pre-exitising one as FF3

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Baring that in mind, Marvel has been a testing subject to what works and what doesnt, now the studios know there answers, they know what works and what doesnt... its seemly risk free to do what they do. However other studios for other comic books have now homed into this and now we have an excelllent Batman franchise, Watchmen was excellent...The first hellboy was good, the second was ruined by the director who turned it into his own Pans Labirinth..

I would hate a movie with just the O5. the only good original characters are Jean and Beast (though i am starting to like Cyclops more in the recent comics)

Iceman and Angel bore me!

People want the O5 to start a movie to keep it continuity with the comics but how come they dont complain about Mags and Mystique being in the Brotherhood together.

Well actually i think the original five have a brilliant dynamic... It would be interesting to see how the core characters split and devided to go onto other things...

For example...

We have scott who was a born leader
We have jean who has uncontrolled power influenced by a strong emotion of love
We have herny who seeks only to gain knowledge
We have bobby who wants to be part of a family after being rejected by his own
We have warren who wants to make a difference and with his ability and money can make it happen...

However over the years, the original five has seemed to loose sight of there goals and have split ways, so now we have scott who is unsure what path to take because he followed xavier who he no longer trusts, Jean is dead or possibly still alive and now a combination of herself and a primal force. Henry is still trying to fix the problem of all the de-powered mutants, Bobby seems to still remain with the x-men but has taken a backseat over the years and finally Warren, well he's been more involved with his own business than x-men these days so i think we have five original characters with complex paths to follow.

it couldnt be done because of the already character introduction... first class wont have the original five but they will have at least four of them, Iceman may be introduced as a 4 year old or someone they rescue quiet young.

I bet in 20 years time, it will be reconned that actually Wolverine and Storm were Xaviers first team. Fans would go crazy haha!

I believe to make a good X-film, you need to think of the plot first and then fit characters in that are appropriate for that story. Not just through X-men in because we can get a few cheap lines out of them.
X1 and X2 both did this right, they had the right amount of characters. X3 and Wolverine had to many characters, trying hard to link to the plot: when it wasnt necessary.

Hopefully First Class will keep it simple.

Actually no, to make a good x-film, you need to consider what major characters will bring in the crowds then come up with a plot that would best utilise them, then work on making that storyline as much as they can towards the comic book series without breaking too much continuity.

That's true, but I believe they broke alot of the continuity with the comics with the first movie.

Actually no, to make a good x-film, you need to consider what major characters will bring in the crowds then come up with a plot that would best utilise them, then work on making that storyline as much as they can towards the comic book series without breaking too much continuity.

Well obvisously the most popular characters are gonna be in a film.
like you said for marketing reasons.

i just think they throw alot of characters in for marketing reasons but that character doesnt really advance the plot in any way.

they need to find the balance between, the use of characters and use of the plot.

I studied Film Studies, so we kinda think in the same direction. but youll be more knowledgable because its your career.

x-men...I would have kept it all the same except replace rogue with jubilee...or re-cast rogue older and hotter to set up the introduction of gambit somewhere down the line...and not kill off Senator Kelly.

x2 Pretty happy with X2

X3 not kills cyclops...obviously, get rid of Callisto...or their version of her and actually introduce a subplot with the morlocks being to misfit/deformed to surface with humans or mutants that blend well with the rest of society so that you understand their dilemna for the cure while still trying to get across the subtext of equality issues and discrimination.

you know what...we all could've done a better job with X3 than what we got so i will just stop there...this fantasy crap kills me...inside :(

Insane polaris, continue your film study, studios needs more fans like us working within its walls...least that way we would have more hope with a successful comic book movie... Also i half agree with the character thing...

With the x-men franchise, they can pretty much find a character they need to progress the story, for example... if they had a scene where they needed to get from a to b, but there is a brickwall, then they need a mutant that can either crash through it or blast it, and so the character becomes useful... but doesnt really do anything to the story mind. However that leaver means that they have established that the character exsists and from there they can build on there story in any future movie... look at x3, they had multipleman - he could easly be developed more in x-men 4...

Julio - they needed a big name to fall to make the threat seem more real... personally i wouldnt of picked Senitor Kelly, i would of had Henry Gyrich become liquid and die, he was actually in X-Men 1 be kidnapped by Magneto, and Senitor Kelly throughout the movie fears them but learns that there are good mutants too and the turning point would be when Henry Gyrich turns to liquid infront of senitor kelly and professor xavier. that scene would of been awsome.

Last edited:
x-men...I would have kept it all the same except replace rogue with jubilee...or re-cast rogue older and hotter to set up the introduction of gambit somewhere down the line...and not kill off Senator Kelly.

x2 Pretty happy with X2

X3 not kills cyclops...obviously, get rid of Callisto...or their version of her and actually introduce a subplot with the morlocks being to misfit/deformed to surface with humans or mutants that blend well with the rest of society so that you understand their dilemna for the cure while still trying to get across the subtext of equality issues and discrimination.

you know what...we all could've done a better job with X3 than what we got so i will just stop there...this fantasy crap kills me...inside :(
I actually liked Rogue's being in X1. I think that they just needed to make her a bit more aggressive. They could have developed that over time. I don't know why, but in that scene where Magneto talks to Rogue when she's on that machine, I always pictured the real Rogue spitting in his face or something out of defiance.
I was pretty happy with X2 as well, only I would have added Gambit. I did like Nightcrawler's addition a lot more than I thought though. Honestly, he was the best thing about that movie if you ask me.
X3... I don't even like Cyclops (at all), but even I hated how they killed him off. He got absolutely no development and then BOOM, he's gone. So that it can be all about Logan pining over Jean (even though he had more chemistry with Storm anyway). Ugh.
Okay, my rant is over.

Julio - they needed a big name to fall to make the threat seem more real... personally i wouldnt of picked Senitor Kelly, i would of had Henry Gyrich become liquid and die, he was actually in X-Men 1 be kidnapped by Magneto, and Senitor Kelly throughout the movie fears them but learns that there are good mutants too and the turning point would be when Henry Gyrich turns to liquid infront of senitor kelly and professor xavier. that scene would of been awsome.
You make more and more sense to me with each post.

I actually liked Rogue's being in X1. I think that they just needed to make her a bit more aggressive. They could have developed that over time. I don't know why, but in that scene where Magneto talks to Rogue when she's on that machine, I always pictured the real Rogue spitting in his face or something out of defiance.
I was pretty happy with X2 as well, only I would have added Gambit. I did like Nightcrawler's addition a lot more than I thought though. Honestly, he was the best thing about that movie if you ask me.
X3... I don't even like Cyclops (at all), but even I hated how they killed him off. He got absolutely no development and then BOOM, he's gone. So that it can be all about Logan pining over Jean (even though he had more chemistry with Storm anyway). Ugh.
Okay, my rant is over.

I just don't know what was so hard about making what happened to cyclops uncertain...ya know? Like as wolverine is facing jean in the final showdown...she starts to get the upperhand and logan is close enough to stab her but can't quite do it...and then...cyclops...out of nowhere shoots an optic blast hitting/or distracting her and gives wolverine the signal thats ok and lets her go...no dead cyclops...he drives off on his own bike this time...unlike wolverine at the end of x1...would that have been so hard? Honestly!

It is possible Cyclops survived... we dont really know the fate, i mean xavier said that jean killed the man she loved, all this signafies is that Xavier lost all psychic contact with Scott when Jean was revived... For all we know Jean could of ultered his DNA slightly.

Alot of fans want cyclops to stay dead because that whole returning from the dead thing, although and x-men trademark, or world record, anyway the fans just think it takes away the realisum.... Hello, mutants with powers and your worried about realisum...

The truth of the matter is simply this, If they wanted to they could bring back any character they want. They still have the rights to those characters and if there was a high enough demand, we could see them all return... wont happen though alot of the effect of this hold closely with the actors themselves, some will want to continue others not...

you see, its the generations of actors and where there careers are that determine if they return...

Hugh Jackman was Wolverine, hes not typecast in that role but Wolverine made Hugh Jackman, and he knows it, thats why he is the most involved actor with the series...

Halle Berry - was the only actor i saw that wanted the fame from this movie but didnt get it. Why, because to be honest there isnt really a big fan base for Storm, she is considered the number 10 out of 10 famous mutants you could list, well id say she is more number 20 out 21... little harse but the character is needed for the story but popularity wise she wasnt.

Famke and Masden - both knew what this role was and didnt expect it to launch there careers, Famke already had an established career and Masden was almost on the ladder as it was, so they were just there to have fun.

Patrick Stewart said he was more fond of his Charles Xavier role than he was as Picard... i was shocked by this but i think fans have been crying out for Patrick Steward to be Xavier longer than star trek generations... He was kind of built for the role. Patrick will appear in any x-men movie... if asked.

Ian McKellan has the same admiration for the role he played because he pulled on simular issues he has faced himself in the past. But with Ian he is most busy than Patrick who doesnt necessary need to do movies but he does. Ian is on demand so he may or may not return to the role... all depends on time and place.

Then you get the younger generation of characters all the actors were happy to get there name out there and play a fun mutant character.

And finally we get the special appearances from one off characters, kesley grammer, alan cumming... People given an excellent role but may never appear as them in the future...

And I liked Grammer & Cummings in those roles. I kinda wished they wouldn't have intro'd Beast blue and furry.

i dont think Ellen Page will do another X-film.
Shes very picky about which films she does and
i remember it taking alot of persausion for her to do X3.

beast had to be blue because if a prequel was to ever happen we would get to see his progression

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannnnman
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"