• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

BvS If Snyder had Clark end up with a woman other than Lois, would fans freak out?

Maybe he'll end up with Lori Lemaris, and that's the Aquaman connection.

I didn't feel Maggie added anything extra, other than looking like a less attractive version of Holmes.

maggiekatie.jpg
:o

Katie was hot, but I'm glad Rachel died. I wouldn't mind if Lois died for once, but I wouldn't want her to just be killed though. It would be cool if she sacrificed herself to save someone.

I wouldnt mind if Clark ended up with someone other than Lois.

I liked that they ultimately didn't end up together in the Donner films.

Also, we already got the "Clark and Lois marry" happy ending in both Lois and Clark and Smallville, so I'd like to see a more unconventional ending to their romance.

The Donner films gave, like the worst reason, for why Superman couldn't just be with Lois, but with anyone. I mean it made Jor-el look bad and it even made Superman look bad with the way they executed that arc out.

And nothing against SV and L&C, since I enjoyed both shows, but how many of our audience viewers today will be very familiar with those shows, outside of the fandom, as time passes on and we get more DCU films with Amy and Henry in their roles?

Honestly, it's more of a cliche for a comic book couple to have something tragic happen to them on film that prevents them from being together imho.

Maggie was like the older, seasoned version of Katie. She can look pretty but Nolan wanted her plain, I suppose.

I wouldnt mind if Clark ended up with someone other than Lois.

I liked that they ultimately didn't end up together in the Donner films.

Also, we already got the "Clark and Lois marry" happy ending in both Lois and Clark and Smallville, so I'd like to see a more unconventional ending to their romance.

Actually...that's not really correct.

Richard Donner always intended for Lois and Superman to end up together at the end of his franchise. That was always the intention. That's why if you watch the Richard Donner cut of Superman 2 there are slight differences. The ending of Superman 2 was supposed to be mitigated down the road because Donner had every intention of bringing them together again. He was never able to carry out that vision because of his falling out with the producers.

Now, there are two "endings" if you will to the Donner franchise though. And both of them suggest that Superman was going to love Lois for the rest of his life. And both of them are "open ended" in that we don't now if they ever found a way to be together or not. It was left open.

In Superman 4, Superman tells Lois that she is "the only person he can really talk to" and he goes to her for comfort when he is feeling at his lowest and his most depressed. Lois then reveals that she has "always loved Superman" and always will. We don't know if they ever get together again after this movie but we know, at the end of the film, that they still love each other. It's established in the film.

If you use "Superman Returns" as the "ending" of the Donner films (or alternate ending) then it's also up in the air. Superman Returns ends with Superman telling Lois that he will "always be around" and it's out in the open FINALLY that he and Lois have a son. It's also more than clear that they still love each other. It's not clear (it's never actually confirmed) if Lois is still planning on marrying Richard or if she isn't sure she can. All of this was left up in the air. Had there been a sequel to this film, my guess is there was going to be unresolved tension between Superman and Lois that was going to be explored especially given the reality that their child was going to play a role in the supposed plot.

So you have several "endings" to the Donner universe but none of them involve Superman moving on from his love for Lois Lane. No matter how you cut it, he was still very much in love with her, devoted to her and wanted her. And she wanted him. It was just complicated. And unfinished.

Now, Smallville and "Lois and Clark" are interesting because they are both franchises written and marketed to women as an EQUAL demographic of the audience. Because of this, Lois was given an equal narrative and POV in the series and her wants, needs and POV was expressed and important. She was treated as an equal partner to Superman and their desire to spend their lives TOGETHER was an equal conversation.

But the problem is calling the "happily ever after" on Smallville an ENDING. It wasn't an ending. It was a BEGINNING. Smallville "ended" but Clark's life as a SUPERMAN was just starting. And his life partnership with Lois was still in it's beginning stages. We waited 10 years for Lois and Clark to finally be together and the it was over. And really...it was the same with Lois and Clark.

Part of the problem here is that you are treating marriage like an "ending." And I get that. Cultural sexism has taught a lot of people to view marriage that way bc it stems from this idea that women are prizes to be won and that once the woman is "won" that the story is over. But it's just not true.

One of the reasons a lot of people feel the Lois and Clark marriage is legitimately important and deserving of being part of the narrative in the PRESENT and not as an ENDING is because the idea that marriage is "the end" of the story is inherently sexist. What would actually be NEW and fresh would be the idea of telling a story in a film franchise where they allowed Lois and Clark to be married be together and work through conflicts in the course of a real marriage. That would actually be new and revolutionary and like nothing that you normally EVER see in movies.

What you are suggesting? Just having him end up with a different woman? THAT is actually the stereotype convention. It's the idea that marriage is boring, that women are ultimately replaceable, marriage is an "end" and that love interests should be "switched up" to keep things fresh. That's not anything breaking convention. That's THE convention and it's loaded with undertones of sexism that influence how we see these things.

The freshest thing this franchise could do would be to treat Lois Lane like the equal player she is, respect her, respect their history and actually allow them to be TOGETHER as a mature couple through it all. That would be fresh.

I'll just post what I said last time Audrey posted in this thread.
icon14.gif

Fantastic post as always regarding Lois Lane, Audrey you really should be around these parts' more often to counter some of the crap that get's peddled against this great character.

Leave this version with Lois. I'm all for Superman dating other women in the comics, including Diana, but the comics have functionally infinite time to develop relationships.

For Clark and Lois to romantically part ways in this continuity would feel premature, regardless how it was written.

Last edited:

Richard Donner always intended for Lois and Superman to end up together at the end of his franchise. That was always the intention. That's why if you watch the Richard Donner cut of Superman 2 there are slight differences. The ending of Superman 2 was supposed to be mitigated down the road because Donner had every intention of bringing them together again. He was never able to carry out that vision because of his falling out with the producers.

Now, there are two "endings" if you will to the Donner franchise though. And both of them suggest that Superman was going to love Lois for the rest of his life. And both of them are "open ended" in that we don't now if they ever found a way to be together or not. It was left open.

In Superman 4, Superman tells Lois that she is "the only person he can really talk to" and he goes to her for comfort when he is feeling at his lowest and his most depressed. Lois then reveals that she has "always loved Superman" and always will. We don't know if they ever get together again after this movie but we know, at the end of the film, that they still love each other. It's established in the film.

If you use "Superman Returns" as the "ending" of the Donner films (or alternate ending) then it's also up in the air. Superman Returns ends with Superman telling Lois that he will "always be around" and it's out in the open FINALLY that he and Lois have a son. It's also more than clear that they still love each other. It's not clear (it's never actually confirmed) if Lois is still planning on marrying Richard or if she isn't sure she can. All of this was left up in the air. Had there been a sequel to this film, my guess is there was going to be unresolved tension between Superman and Lois that was going to be explored especially given the reality that their child was going to play a role in the supposed plot.

So you have several "endings" to the Donner universe but none of them involve Superman moving on from his love for Lois Lane. No matter how you cut it, he was still very much in love with her, devoted to her and wanted her. And she wanted him. It was just complicated. And unfinished.

Now, Smallville and "Lois and Clark" are interesting because they are both franchises written and marketed to women as an EQUAL demographic of the audience. Because of this, Lois was given an equal narrative and POV in the series and her wants, needs and POV was expressed and important. She was treated as an equal partner to Superman and their desire to spend their lives TOGETHER was an equal conversation.

But the problem is calling the "happily ever after" on Smallville an ENDING. It wasn't an ending. It was a BEGINNING. Smallville "ended" but Clark's life as a SUPERMAN was just starting. And his life partnership with Lois was still in it's beginning stages. We waited 10 years for Lois and Clark to finally be together and the it was over. And really...it was the same with Lois and Clark.

Part of the problem here is that you are treating marriage like an "ending." And I get that. Cultural sexism has taught a lot of people to view marriage that way bc it stems from this idea that women are prizes to be won and that once the woman is "won" that the story is over. But it's just not true.

One of the reasons a lot of people feel the Lois and Clark marriage is legitimately important and deserving of being part of the narrative in the PRESENT and not as an ENDING is because the idea that marriage is "the end" of the story is inherently sexist. What would actually be NEW and fresh would be the idea of telling a story in a film franchise where they allowed Lois and Clark to be married be together and work through conflicts in the course of a real marriage. That would actually be new and revolutionary and like nothing that you normally EVER see in movies.

What you are suggesting? Just having him end up with a different woman? THAT is actually the stereotype convention. It's the idea that marriage is boring, that women are ultimately replaceable, marriage is an "end" and that love interests should be "switched up" to keep things fresh. That's not anything breaking convention. That's THE convention and it's loaded with undertones of sexism that influence how we see these things.

The freshest thing this franchise could do would be to treat Lois Lane like the equal player she is, respect her, respect their history and actually allow them to be TOGETHER as a mature couple through it all. That would be fresh.
Very interesting post, good read. :up:

I am enjoying the whole Diana and Clark romance in the comics and the alluding to other romances.

I do however agree with a post above that marriage in the media seems to be finality, there are constant jokes that once someone is married its over. Marriage doesn't have to be that way, Monica and Chandler, Turk and Carla, if it can work in a sitcom were drama is used for laughs for the most part, it can work in other ways.

Also thinking back I did like Lois and Clark when they were married especially when they went through them trying to have kids. Its one of the reasons that I loved Last Son by Richard Donner when Clark and Lois adopted the Kryptonian boy that turned out to be Zod's son, it really showed the sad part of Clark and Lois' union and yet made it real in that they were like any other couple who couldn't have children, they wanted to give a child a good home.

And in a way, kids can be seen like the same as marriage; the end.

Clark & Lois forever....

Plus HC and AA's chemistry is beautiful on screen so keep them as a couple.

Bruce and Diane makes more sense as a propsective couple anyway...

How does Lois die of old age? Doesn't Superman age like a human here. Seemed that way from childhood to 33

I actually hope he ages like a human, it makes him a little more vulnerable.

Audrey, you say its sexist when a man ends up with a woman and it ends on marriage. But the same could be said for fairy tales, the female protaganist always ends up 'winning' the prince in the end. I know its not part of the equation of Superman, its just this about feminists, every possible scenario of anything is sexist to them. *Sigh*

You're responding to someone who's not been here in a year and their post is dated nearly a year ago. Why bump this thread? oh and she's spot on Audrey.:funny:

Oh and Lois and Clark haves moved in together as per BvS and Amy Adams already confirmed for Justice League. So there you go.
icon10.gif

012.jpg

Last edited:
If Clark Kent / Superman is not with Lois Lane, then I would rather prefer that he was with Lana Lang, rather than Diana (WW) or any other woman.

You're responding to someone who's not been here in a year and their post is dated nearly a year ago. Why bump this thread? oh and she's spot on Audrey.:funny:

Oh and Lois and Clark haves moved in together as per BvS and Amy Adams already confirmed for Justice League. So there you go.
icon10.gif

Hollywood is NOT sexist I hate that comment that CONSTANTLY comes up everywhere I go. And its not just Audrey, its this whole attitude I see constantly running on the BvS forum, especially Amy Adams thread where NO-ONE is allowed an opinion that isn't 100% in praise.

I don't have a problem with their relationship or them ending up together, moving in, etc. She's not my favorite Lois personally, but people should not jump down others throat and accuse them of sexism for having an opinion.

Hollywood is NOT sexist .

A yeah it is big time especially for any actress over 30. You're over 30 and they don't want to know you unless you're some what relevant. Amy Adams is a legit top actress that's' why she's Lois Lane at 40 and not some "Hot" 25 year old you'd want. :funny:

Still crying over that Amy got the role 4 years and 2 movies later heading into the the third one. AMY ADAMS IS LOIS LANE, DEAL WITH IT!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"