If they were to make an Aquaman movie...

trustyside-kick

The Marine Marvel
Reaction score
1) What origin would you prefer they went with?

Yes, I'm sure the most obvious choice would be the modern/current origin for him, but they do not necessarily have to.

The Aquaman Pilot took a new route with his origin, mixing up the silver age and the modern age origin which seemed to be pretty good. It seems that if the show was put on the CW, it could've been a hit and not just "Smallville underwater" as everyone commented it would be.

2) Which villain(s) would you like to make an appearance?

While, again, there would be the most obvious choices of Ocean Master and Black Manta or only one of the two, really it depends on the origin/story they go with.

The '94 Aquaman series went into depth about Aquaman's relations to the Olympian Gods; specifically Poseidon and his son Triton. Perhaps, if they were to go with the modern origin, it could allow a cameo or at least acknowledgement to their relationship that would eventually expand into a rival/enemy status between Orin and Triton. Since he would be clashing with the gods (in a sense) it would help expose to all those people Aquaman's real talents rather than being "the guy who talks to fish". I really feel that taking a route similar or at least influenced by the '94 run would help give Aquaman the respect he deserves.

Then of course, there are some other villains who have been overlooked or rarely used. One that comes to mind that I feel is a great villain, and can further show how talented Aquaman is is the villain known as The Eel. For those who aren't familiar, as he has only made 2 or 3 appearances, The Eel was a man who possessed telekentic powers. Use your imagination and combine that with being submerged underwater and wearing a mechanical suit to protect his body from the crushing depths and allowing him to breathe and that is one deadly villain.

3) Who should appear in the supporting cast?

Perhaps Orin could meet Mera someway towards the end and they end up getting married. This would all depend on the story, but...that is really the only way I could see her being in the movie.

Vulko is essential, as he plays a huge teacher/mentor role to Orin. Not much has to be said, he would have to be in the movie.

Garth? Well, they would have to change Garth's origin and he would basically just be a normal Atlantean boy instead of who he is. It would be pointless doing this because he would also lose that value of bond with Orin. They were both left to die when born because of distinctive physical features that their socities thought to be "omens".

Orm aka Ocean Master. Yea, I'm also mentioning him about possibly being a supporting character too. It depends with the origin they go with him really. In the Timmverse's Justice League cartoon he is shown to be a good guy who turns bad; they can do this. Now, they could have Black Manta be the villain in the first film or the other choices I suggested, and he gradually begins to hate Orin towards the end of the film and emerges evil in a possible second film. Another approach is that he rapidly changes and becomes evil during the middle of the film, where he becomes the second villain/threat.

Is there anyone else that should make an appearance? Can't have too small or too large of a supporting cast afterall. Course, this could also depend on the path they choose to go with teh story: mythological, mystical, medieval. More about this in my next question.

4) What type of a "feel" should the story have?

What I mean is, Atlantis has been viewed to be the "center of magic" and such to a point. Should it have a great magical/mystical feel to it? Then again, as the '94 series briefly showed, there is a mythological feel to it as well. Obviously, one of these two choices would narrow down the choices for the villains I listed above. Or perhaps should it have somewhat of a medieval twist? Afterall, he is a King, and ironically named Arthur (think King Arthur). Have this effect the story as well?

5) Most importantly, who should play him?

While I've been expressing my ideas above on the previous questions, this one I truly do not know. While I enjoyed the guy who played him in the Aquaman pilot, I feel for the movie that would make Orin a little too young, and also whenever I see the kid I see/think Green Arrow because of Smallville. So who could pull of the role of Aquaman?

So those are my thoughts. I hope this can expand to more of other's thoughts seeing as how I didn't see an Aquaman movie thread earlier.

Dude no one want an aquaman movie. Sorry. No one even likes the comics well except for probably you. They view him as a rip off and gay version of Marvel's Namor the Submariner.

This thread isn't to bash so please don't.

There are plenty of people who actually do like him. Heck, the Aquaman Pilot is like one of the most downloaded things ever because everyone wanted to see the show. It's a shame it didn't recieve a time slot on the CW because it would've been a hit (It should've because now the CW sucks ass; they should've kept it WB and UPN seperate). And only people who don't realize his ablilities look at him as "the guy who talks to fish".

Plus, he would kick Namor's ass. I'm not going to get started on the actual differences between them too because that is not the point of this thread.

Don't come in here and try to bash the idea. If you don't have anything valid to say about the topic then don't post.

I would love them to a mixture of the old and more recent origin's. Would love to see Sean Bean take on the role. There was another actor I've thought of recently that I thought would be great as Arthur but I can't seem to remember who it was right now. In the meantime if I do, I'll write it here in a new post.
But I think the only person who could probably do justice to Aquaman and deliver a truly epic movie would be James Cameron but I don't know if he would do it or not...

Dude no one want an aquaman movie. Sorry. No one even likes the comics well except for probably you. They view him as a rip off and gay version of Marvel's Namor the Submariner.

Does your Marvel fanboyism know no bounds?

Here's my idea for an Aquaman movie. I posted this on the DC forum on the official site, so maybe it can also work here.

The bad guy: Kordax.

Plot: Deep beneath the oceans lies another world that is far beyond anything we could imagine. That world is Atlantis. During a powerful storm a war rages on beneath the sea. The war between Atlantis and Kordax. After the battle Atlan goes into hiding to watch in the shadows to make sure no such horror ever happens in Atlantis again.

Meanwhile his wife, Atlanta gets exiled from atlantis due to her constant visits to the surface world and for bearing a child of blond hair to signal the descendent of Kordax. Stranded and left for dead she is found by Tom Curry who takes her and her child in. As years go by the young boy begins to showcase weird aquatic powers due to caused accidents by the boy's father, Atlan.

When his mother dies he is then to be raised by his father as he gets older. Now as he is older he finds himself more curious of the sea. But there is a magical force that is trying to band him from returning. Atlan is fighting with various other mages to allow the return of his son. But if he is to return, Kordax will be reborn, and he will tear Atlantis apart. In the struggle Orin must try to learn more of his herritage try to combat Kordax.

He then must make the choice to learn to be king and rid the underwater world of Kordax and become the rightful ruler of Atlantis, or become a hero when the mage war gets out of control and reaches the last place thought, the surface world. Now Orin must make the ultimate choice to be a king or a hero. But no matter what, he will still be considered an outcast on both fronts.

Also, for Aquaman I was thinking it could start of with a younger aquaman seeing as how its an orgin story, and at the end he becomes Sean Bean.

^I like the idea of him having to choose between being King or Hero.

1) What origin would you prefer they went with?
I don't know another origin than the "son of the earth and the sea" one and it suits me fine. What is the actual again ?
2) Which villain(s) would you like to make an appearance?
Orm is my first choice and then Black Manta is more than obvious. But I think Orm should come first, in order to set up the relations between earth and Atlantis. Then focus on the sub-world with Black Manta.
Look, something like this : the golden age Aquaman vs Orm following approximatively the JL cartoon story with aquaman loosing his hand. The nice golden age Aquaman become more rude and one can fish ellements of the armor/hook/long hairs Aquaman. Make the character evolve.
I think O.G.R.E. would be good if treated well. And the Shark would be great as well even if it is a GL foe.
3) Who should appear in the supporting cast?
Mera is good for me. But no Aqualad at all. I don't know very well the supporting cast.
4) What type of a "feel" should the story have?
My feel is a water story above all. ala Fathom, or Titanic. No mention of Atlantis as being an extra-territorial tech advanced race, nor medieval. Maybe a little of mythological aspect.
But for me it's water, water and water. Ocean, sea, submarine, boat, island, beach, environement, sea animals, dolphins, etc...
5) Most importantly, who should play him?
Well, Justin Hartley is fine, I agree with you but I like him more as Green Arrow. I think he's a lot better as Green Arrow. I may certainly be flamed for this but I think Alan Ritchson (in Smallville) was good, or at least I've seen potential in him. He seems nice and goody good and yet able to be rude and angry ; So it's good for me.

Again, I like Aquaman but I didn't read everything about him, so my knowledge and my judgement may be ... in a way inacurrate.
But I would love an Aquaman movie, as long it's the water feeling that prevails.

I don't know another origin than the "son of the earth and the sea" one and it suits me fine. What is the actual again ?

The modern origin is that there were two rulers of Atlantis. The King and Orin's mother. The King (name escapes me at the moment) could not be children; something wrong with his sperm or w/e. The thought of him being unable to have an heir nearly drove him mad. The wizard Atlan persuaded Orin's mother and they had an affair. When word spread that the Queen had become pregnant, the King was both confused and infuriated (because there as no way it could've been his). When Orin was born, they noticed the blonde hair and believed it to be the curse of Kordax. After ordering the banishment on young baby Orin to die on a reef, the King commited suicide. Orin was saved by dolphins and then raised by the dolphin Porm.

I may have made some small errors, but that is basically his origin. I only went that far cause I'm sure you know the rest.

I'm glad you like the idea Side-kick. I think Ryan Mcpartlin would make a great AC. Him or Tom Jane.

259043.jpg
Jane

0000004545_20060919224405.jpg
Mcpartlin

no offense, but a Aquamn movie shouldn't be made. It won't go well on screen. That's the one DC movie that I am totally against.

Docker, it's not really about "should it be made or not" but "what if" . I agree with you, I think an Aquaman movie wouldn't be a good idea because, in my mind just a few people would go and see it. So yes it certainly is a bad idea (money speaking), but trustyside-kick asked "what if". What do you mean by "It won't go well on screen" ? Are you talking about money or about pictures, or people's interest, ...
The modern origin is that there were two rulers of Atlantis. The King and Orin's mother. The King (name escapes me at the moment) could not be children; something wrong with his sperm or w/e. The thought of him being unable to have an heir nearly drove him mad. The wizard Atlan persuaded Orin's mother and they had an affair. When word spread that the Queen had become pregnant, the King was both confused and infuriated (because there as no way it could've been his). When Orin was born, they noticed the blonde hair and believed it to be the curse of Kordax. After ordering the banishment on young baby Orin to die on a reef, the King commited suicide. Orin was saved by dolphins and then raised by the dolphin Porm.
I may have made some small errors, but that is basically his origin. I only went that far cause I'm sure you know the rest.
OK thanks I didn't know that, do you know the issues ?

You guys talk about no one wanting to see if and thus being your reason why you wouldn't want it made...yet the Aquaman Pilot was said to be the most downloaded TV show ever to date for iTunes and XBOX Live. Oh yes, surely no one would dare see a film of Aquaman when a tv pilot grabs that much attention.

A serie is not a movie. And downloading for free doesn't mean pay for the cinema. Nevertheless, I agreed with you as well (maybe I wasn't clear) : I want to see an Aquaman film. I would go to see it. That's why I answered your questions ; I would love to see it.

Downloading for free? You had to pay for that when it was released. :dry:

I already responed to this post once, but I didn't respond to both parts of it. However, each time I read it it annoys me more and more. I'm talking about the part I bolded. People must be really ******ed because while just glancing at the two, with Namor being created first, I can understand someone saying it...but seriously you have to think about that.

Deathstroke came first before Deadpool (a huge copy) but there are differences. Deadshot came first before Bullseye (who was another copy) but there are differences. Hell, those 2 examples are better to say "one company copied another" than this issue, but I guess I'll have to analyze how Aquaman isn't a copy of Namor.

Namor. When first created, Namor was a waterbreathing "hero" or some like to say the first anti-hero. He had super strength, endurance since he could withstand the pressures of the deep and he could fly. Also when he was first created, his story and ties with Atlantis are very different than Aquaman's. Note that I say when first created.

Aquaman. When he was created, he too was an underwater, waterbreathing hero (but not an anti-hero) that shared similar attributes. He had super strength, swimming at incredible speeds, endurance (same reason Namor had which makes sense), but he could not fly. What was his different power? Telepathy. Telepathy over marine life. But when he was first created, it was established that he had relations with Atlantis (and it was nothing like Namor's). So no, Aquaman is not a huge rip off of Namor. Just people who are ******ed say that without thinking.

Now that I've talked about when first created, how about I expand upon when people say Aquaman was really "too much like Namor". The personality shift. Holy crap, I hear that way too many times and it really pisses me off. When Peter David started to write Aquaman in his '94 run (just about the best representation of Aquaman to date), Aquaman had quite the change of attitude than he had before. People say it resembled Namor way too much because he became prick-like as Namor has always been (Keywords: always been). Aquaman's shift in personality was not a revamp, was not to make him seem cooler (even if that was part of the effect they wanted). The main reason was character development. I am not going to list out the tragedies of the Aquaman mythos...but it is no surprise for Aquaman's shift of personality from "happy go lucky" nice hero to "prick-like ass at times" not so nice hero. You have to analyze his past to see that his change was not "all of the sudden" or ******ed because really, he sometimes had more of an excuse to turn to a "prick" at times then even Batman himself. And I'm saying that being a huge Batman fan (Aquaman is my number 2).

It is no shock that over the years, companies have created characters with similar powers. And while I can understand some people saying Aquaman is a copy, as trusty stated by definition he isn't because when they were first created the only similarties was that you had two guys who could breathe underwater and were superheroes. The origins are nothing alike, even with Aquaman's multiple origin revisions, and even the powers are different to a point.

Back to the topic though...it would be interesting to see an Aquaman film.

(Also...how many typos did you find in there? Seemed you editted a bunch. Let me guess, found a small error, editted, found another, eddited, etc? :oldrazz:)

sojazu said:
(Also...how many typos did you find in there? Seemed you editted a bunch. Let me guess, found a small error, editted, found another, eddited, etc? :oldrazz:)

One of my flaws. If I'm ranting on about something, I'll make some small typos...and then I re-read something and when I find the first typo I go back and edit and then continue reading and do the same thing. Typos are my curse. :(

if they were to make an aquaman movie it would be super lame.....maybe just as lame as the aquaman game....

hey trustyside-kick, what do you mean about the downlading ? Can't you download something for free ?

Yea, you can, but when they were making the Aquaman show Pilot, and announced it was no longer going to be aired on the new CW network, they released it only via iTunes and XBOX Live.

Now, you can most likely find it on the web somewhere, but when it was first released, you had to pay for it and it holds the record for most downloaded TV show ever.

aaah ... ok. thanks for the info I understand better what you were saying , now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"