Warners considering Aquaman movie? With McG as director?

GL's Light

Countin' down to '16
Reaction score
From the LA Times:

A Green Light for 'Aqua'?

By John Horn, Times Staff Writer

"Aquaman," one of Hollywood's hottest inside jokes, might make the move from fiction to reality. As a key plot line in HBO's "Entourage," the "movie" directed by James Cameron shattered box-office records (a feat that got it a real ad in Variety), turned an unknown actor into a $20-million movie star and sparked a fight over a sequel.

But now, informal talks have been launched about the feasibility of making a real Warner Bros. "Aquaman" movie. In one of the strangest twists of this life-imitating-art tale, the talent agent at the center of the emerging "Aquaman" deal is Ari Emanuel, the brassy Endeavor partner on whom "Entourage" agent Ari Gold is based.

Warner Bros. said Thursday that the studio "is not currently developing" an "Aquaman" project. But according to four people familiar with the idea, conversations already have been held about the character's film rights, controlled by DC Comics, itself a part of Time Warner Inc. One top filmmaker's name also has surfaced as a potential "Aquaman" director — "Charlie's Angels" alumnus McG. The director is finishing the football film "We Are Marshall"; his reps declined comment on the "Aquaman" prospects.

"It's obviously very flattering," says Doug Ellin, the creator of "Entourage" who came up with the "Aquaman" plot. "We sort of made an 'Aquaman' movie a believable possibility."

There's no denying that Aquaman, a fast-swimming superhero who debuted in a 1941 comic, is enjoying a spectacular pop-culture renaissance. In "Entourage," a weekly series about actor Vince Chase (Adrian Grenier) and his Hollywood posse, the movie opens to record box-office grosses of $116.8 million. In the days before "Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest" debuted this month, industry executives ironically wondered if the sequel would do " 'Aquaman' business." When CNBC reported on the record-breaking opening of "Pirates," anchor Joe Kernen said it had outperformed "Aquaman"; Kernen later said he was joking.

Earlier this week, a previously unseen pilot for an "Aquaman" TV series debuted on iTunes, and the show immediately became the website's most-downloaded video, Apple said.

The TV pilot was created by screenwriters Alfred Gough and Miles Millar, who launched the popular "Superman"-inspired series "Smallville." The "Aquaman" series was initially conceived as a Warner Bros. Television production for the WB network, which has merged with UPN into the new CW network.

The pilot stars Justin Hartley as Arthur "AC" Curry, a young environmental activist grappling with his fledgling responsibilities as the prince of the lost city of Atlantis, shrouded in the Bermuda Triangle. Like the comic book character, Aquaman can breathe underwater — he possesses preternatural power when wet, which diminishes as he dries off.

"For whatever reason, they ultimately decided not to pick it up," says Gough of CW's response to the pilot. "The pilot may not be perfect, but you can certainly see a series there."

You can also see potential audience interest. When Aquaman made a cameo on "Smallville" last season, it was the season's highest-rated episode.

Gough says he is nevertheless pleased that Warners gave his and Millar's pilot to iTunes. In addition to generating thousands of downloads, the pilot also is attracting strong feedback within the industry, enough that Gough holds out slim hope that it could attract enough Internet interest to revive "Aquaman" as a TV series.

An "Aquaman" movie may be even more of a longshot. A feature film would involve costly special effects and might call for long segments filmed under and on the water, a feat tough enough to almost derail both "Titanic" and "Waterworld." What's more, comic book fans know Aquaman as a member of the Justice League or the Super Friends — where the King of the Seven Seas, as he is also known, plays second fiddle to Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman.

Several people involved in the preliminary discussions about a feature film said untangling the movie rights could prove difficult. A DC Comics spokesman did not return phone and e-mail messages. Emanuel was on a family vacation and could not be reached for comment.

All the same, the "Aquaman" movie in "Entourage" began as a joke and became a smash hit. "I picked it because it sounded like a ridiculous movie," Ellin says.

That an "Aquaman" movie is even being contemplated underscores "Entourage's" following both inside and outside of Hollywood.

"It was a strong initiative from the very beginning to make the show as real as possible," says Ellin. "That way, people would think it's reality."

I was just going to post that. If this was true, I'll be so in love with WB! I can really see the potential of a great movie in Aquaman, no matter how silly you think the comicbook is. An underwater fantasy epic - no other way to do it. It will need the likes of James Cameron and Peter Jackson to make.

Yeah, I didn't like the bit about McG, too. Man, I just wish James Cameron would truly consider directing this project.

Why the hell is Aquaman always getting movie rumors?

I mean, no offense to him, but he's hardly one of the most popular characters out there to say the least.

Come on now !

We all know Vinny Chase was born to play Aquaman, no-one can replace him !

The article says that the studio says that the film is not in development (right now), but there are sources that say that there those who wish to aquire the film rights to the characte. I guess we will have to wait and see what surfaces.

I dont trust Warner Bros anymore after the Ledger casting, and the delaying/cancellation of the 14 disc set.

I've said it before and I'll say it again... we need Troy underwater. McG will rip his hair out trying to get underwater stunts to work. This movie is not going to be 'fun' to make, but if it's done right it can be something to be proud of...

If McG's taking directing lessons, then maybe he can pull it off, but if he's not morosely serious he may want to save himself the high blood pressure.

boywonder13 said:
I dont trust Warner Bros anymore after the Ledger casting, and the delaying/cancellation of the 14 disc set.
WB didn't make the Ledger casting. Christopher Nolan did.

You know, I think an AquaMan movie would be way better than a tv series, better production value, and probably better effects I'm sure.

CConn said:
Why the hell is Aquaman always getting movie rumors?

I mean, no offense to him, but he's hardly one of the most popular characters out there to say the least.
Obviously theres an audience for it. Look at how the ratings shot up when he appeared on Entourage and Smallville. Same goes for the Mercy Reef pilot. There IS a fanbase.He's been in the comics for over, what, 50 years or so.

Blade was nowhere as cool in the comics and had nowhere as big a fanbase as Aquaman.Obviously there are some important people in suits who see potential and are trying to get this going.Maybe they see that audience will enjoy a different type of superhero.

Now the problem is, as that article says, that movies shot in water are extremely difficult(and expensive) to shoot and produce.You can't do everything with CG despite how advanced todays technology is.

Universal put on hold the Namor movie, probably for that very reason.

I hope it happens (or the revival of the series) but NOT with McG !

You guys are kidding yourself if you think this movie would do well at the box office. For comic fans its cool cuase he's in the JLA and has history. But to none comic fans he has become a joke. I can think of a dozen jokes off the top of my head about the guy. This would make a better tv series becuase like Superman, you can make him relatable like Smallville. But this movie would bomb worse than Catwoman if it was made. I would rather see a Green Arrow or Martian Manhunter movie becuase it has greater potential. :o Now I realize this is a DC comic movie thread and I committed blasphemy by stating a different opinion than everyone else but its just that: an opinion........and fact. :o

I agree. That's the only reason he was featured on Entourage. It's ludicrous that Aquaman could become a blockbuster and that James Cameron would direct such a film. That's why it's funny:)

Docker said:
Now I realize this is a DC comic movie thread and I committed blasphemy by stating a different opinion than everyone else but its just that: an opinion........and fact. :o

So... is this opinion or is this fact????

Regardless, I think Aquaman's fanbase has been demonstrated and is building AND the material provides for a great deal of potential, opening up a wonderful new world, though, it'd be hard as heck to film half of that stuff...

GL1 said:
So... is this opinion or is this fact????

Regardless, I think Aquaman's fanbase has been demonstrated and is building AND the material provides for a great deal of potential, opening up a wonderful new world, though, it'd be hard as heck to film half of that stuff...
it's my opinion but the character being a joke now is a fact. Family Guy, Entourage, Wizard and other tv shows and magazines poke fun at him. Wasn't he voted lamest character in comics? He has a fanbase, that's true, but so did Garfield and look how it did at the box office. His fanbase would probably be divided just like superman fans were, hence the weak b.o. If fanboys hate the movie, how much more can a guy who can control seafood attract a audience?

McG? He of Superman rumors? The same man that lists Charlies Angels in his awesome hip-hop resume?

No. Never. The King of Atlantis deserves FAR better.

Docker said:
You guys are kidding yourself if you think this movie would do well at the box office. For comic fans its cool cuase he's in the JLA and has history. But to none comic fans he has become a joke. I can think of a dozen jokes off the top of my head about the guy. This would make a better tv series becuase like Superman, you can make him relatable like Smallville. But this movie would bomb worse than Catwoman if it was made. I would rather see a Green Arrow or Martian Manhunter movie becuase it has greater potential. :o Now I realize this is a DC comic movie thread and I committed blasphemy by stating a different opinion than everyone else but its just that: an opinion........and fact. :o

You don't seriously think they'll make him lame, do you? I doubt they'll make him walk around in orange and mingle with fish the whole time.

I've always viewed Aquaman as the Rodney Dangerfield of the comic book universe. He's been around for ages and he gets no respect. Do I think the idea of a solid Aquaman flick is plausible? Absolutely. Look at the underwater sequence from Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire and imagine twenty other scenes like that edited together with a top shelf origin tale(oh, sure, I could've gone with a "tail" fish pun; but, I'm better than that)with a master writer, editor, and director who doesn't have to resort to simplifying his moniker to a vowel-less ID. McG couldn't direct his way through traffic. **** him. It is do-able. Anything is possible with the right people on board.

MalroyChick11 said:
You don't seriously think they'll make him lame, do you? I doubt they'll make him walk around in orange and mingle with fish the whole time.
will they make him lame? this is the same WB that wants to make a Green Lantern movie with Jack Black! But its the character himself! I say start with a tv show first and build to a movie. Make a Green Lantern or Green Arrow movie first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"