Imposter student at Stanford

Don't professors ahve a roll sheet?:huh:
My sister goes to Stanford (she's abroad now, but I'm sure she's heard about this via campus email), and it's a fairly large school, with 14,000 undergrads and graduate students. It's not as big as the larger UC's though (UCLA has 35,000+ people, easy to get lost), so what she did was still fairly difficult. That is, if she attended classes to begin with - the article doesn't say she did. But she managed to trick everybody, so she probably did show up so people thought she was registered.

During freshman year, the classes are always big, especially for a popular major like human biology. I wonder how she would have kept up the ruse through sophomore year, when classes get smaller and professors would actually know who's in the class.

This could not have occured where I graduated from. Even in freshman year chemistry, the professor knew EVERYBODY by name. My college was tiny. :oldrazz:

I guess I'm just looking for the real "crime" in this one. I mean, I can understand why they'd be freaked out after what happened at Virginia Tech but sometimes I feel like the media overhypes stuff and drives paranoia from relatively simple, harmless situations like this.

I think while the security thing is way overblown in this article, but there certainly is a crime, she's squatting and stealing food. Even just living expenses at college cost a ton, and she's taking it undeservedly.

Also, to the all the people going on about getting an education, she's not. She's not attending classes, she's just living in a dorm and taking food from a dining hall.

Maximum_Carnage said:
Schools should be free, nuff said.

That's a nice idea, but there is no real viable way to do that without much higher taxes and/or lowered quality of education.

I think while the security thing is way overblown in this article, but there certainly is a crime, she's squatting and stealing food. Even just living expenses at college cost a ton, and she's taking it undeservedly.

Also, to the all the people going on about getting an education, she's not. She's not attending classes, she's just living in a dorm and taking food from a dining hall.

That's a nice idea, but there is no real viable way to do that without much higher taxes and/or lowered quality of education.

Education comes in more forms than attending a class. And it never said she didn't attend classes. Hell, when I was in college, I sat in on a class I wasn't getting credit for just to learn, the professor didn't care. And it said she was buying text books and studying for exams. If she was indeed studying the books and sitting in on classes, then she was getting an education.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"