• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Interview with the Dabel Brothers

C

cervantor

Hey all, this is Robert from Fantasy Book Critic. Had a chance to interview Ernst & Les from Dabel Brothers Productions and just wanted to share it with you. I think fans of comic books as well as fantasy/SF/horror literature will appreciate it. Here's an excerpt:

"As a child I grew up with comic books, namely Spider-Man, Batman, Fantastic Four, Silver Surfer, The Incredible Hulk, Captain America and so on. As I grew older, I became more of a collector, especially during the early years of the Image Comics era. Then, I just kind of got burnt out and stopped reading/collecting comic books altogether. Having turned my attentions mainly to fantasy novels, such as the enthralling world of George R. R. Martin’s “A Song of Ice & Fire” series, I was immediately intrigued by an adaptation of GRRM’s short story “The Hedge Knight”, which was coming out via a little known company called Dabel Brothers Productions. Not only did that comic book blow me away, but it rekindled my love for comics, which, in my opinion, has vastly changed for the better. Since then, I have diligently followed the Dabel Brothers who have done a tremendous job of bringing to life the works of such notable authors as Robert Jordan, Raymond E. Feist, Robert Silverberg, Tad Williams, Orson Scott Card, Laurell K. Hamilton and more."

You can read the full interview HERE. Thanks and much love & respect.

Robert

While the Dabel Brothers line has been successful for Marvel in terms of money, I just can't get into it. Those books have no appeal for me.

I think the appeal for me is seeing some of my favorite novels come to life in a visual manner that stays true to the spirt of the books. Obviously it's not for everyone, but what I hope to see is more well-known comic book artists/writers get involved with future Dabel Brothers projects. I think that would be really cool...

I'll probably end up getting the George R. R. Martin stuff eventually. I've wanted to get into the Song of Fire & Ice books for a while, and my friend keeps raving about how great both the books and the comics are. He showed me the Hedge Knight TPB and I was impressed with how great Mike Miller's art was. He drew the comic adaptation of The Wheel of Time: New Spring, as well, which I'd really like to get my hands on if they would ever ****ing finish it and put out a trade. But I'm not bitter. :o

I read both Georg R. R. Martin and Robert Jordan but the wait in between books is just too long. Plus Jordan is now fighting a life threatening illness which makes the series a Wheel of Time uncertain.

the fuinny thing is I started reading these books over 15 years ago and am still waiting for the final book of the series.

My personal advice is wait for the series to end before you buy the books.

I know the purpose of the Dabel Brothers line was to bring in new readers, but when I picture the people it's bringing in, I always picture the same stereotype: skinny girls with frizzy hair, bad acne and over sized black t-shirts, and overweight guys with pony tails, bad acne, oversized buttoned up sleeveless shirts and Kanga hats.

My friend, who's getting into comics from anime and now the Dabel Brothers stuff, is skinny, engaged, and practices kung fu, if that's any help.

My friend, who's getting into comics from anime and now the Dabel Brothers stuff, is skinny, engaged, and practices kung fu, if that's any help.

I know it's just a stereotype, but it's what I imagine, nonetheless.

I read both Georg R. R. Martin and Robert Jordan but the wait in between books is just too long. Plus Jordan is now fighting a life threatening illness which makes the series a Wheel of Time uncertain.

the fuinny thing is I started reading these books over 15 years ago and am still waiting for the final book of the series.

My personal advice is wait for the series to end before you buy the books.

Yeah, that's a definite problem with those two series, and I sincerely hope that Robert Jordan is able to overcome his illness, not just to finish the series, but also because you don't want anyone suffering that way.

If you like the Wheel or Time or A Song of Ice & Fire, then one series that I would highly recommend is the Malazan books by Steven Erikson. It's a bit different, more fantastical, but the characters/convoluted plots are just captivating in their ambitiousness, and unlike Robert Jordan/GRRM, I think you'll see this series be completed without any problems. There are six volumes available now (from the UK) with book 7 out this May/June and Mr. Erikson has been releasing a volume about every year with 10 books planned so far I believe.

The Dabel Brothers are working on getting this adapted, so I would definitely check it out if you're looking for something new to read...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stryderzer0
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"