• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Comics Interviews by Wacker and JMS

moraldeficiency

Maxwell's Demon
Reaction score
Came across these two interviews and thought they'd be an interesting read. Two notes: 1. Wacker seems like a class act and hell of a guy, I wish the circumstances were different. 2. JMS is pulling less of his punches then ever here, I guessing that means an eventual move from marvel (sorry Thor fans).

http://comics.ign.com/articles/895/895914p1.html

IGN Comics: Coming up we have the huge "New Ways to Die" arc that starts in August and runs through October. What can you tell and tease about what's coming during that storyline?

Steve Wacker: On a pure gut level, New Ways To Die is simply about bringing Norman Osborn and Venom back into Pete's life. Digging deeper, NWTD (which is what all the cool kidz are calling it) is about revenge and the need to claim your piece of the past.

It brings in all the different elements in Spidey's life that have been introduced since January into one giant story. There are pieces of plot and what seemed to be throwaway bits that Dan (along with the rest of the writing team) have crafted into a big end-of-summer slamdance. Does anyone still slamdance? Oy, what a nightmare.

Alongside Venom and Green Goblin, we'll also be meeting a new creepy guy called Anti-Venom and we'll see the return of another classic Spidey bad guy.

Plus in part one, you get a 10 page backup by Mark Waid and Adi Granov catching you up on what Eddie Brock has been up to since last year's "Back in Black" story.

IGN Comics: A few questions came up during Comic-Con and I had a follow-up to those conversations. During the show, a few disgruntled fans lamented over the One More Day storyline and the Brand New Day direction. Specifically one constant source of griping is the resolution of continuity issues and how Brand New Day synchs up with Spidey's life. The standard Marvel response at this point seems to be "Wait and see. That story isn't over yet."

Wacker: When isn't the response "wait-and-see"? Seriously, show me the company that decides to just reveal all the big story plots and secrets in panels at the conventions. Show me that company and I'll show you a publisher saving a ton on paper and even more by not needing an accountant!

I mean, I'm dying to find out what happens in the next season of Friday Night Lights, but those jerks at Direct TV won't tell me nothin'!! TV sucks!

However, to the larger question you're implying, I took over editing the Spidey books in January, so that's really what I feel responsibility over. That first issue opened an indeterminate amount of time after the previous issue closed because at the time we started (this is late 06, early '07), we weren't quite sure exactly where the previous story was going to end. It's a fact of comics that you simply can't create these books in the order they're going to be published. I had a year to bank as much material as I could and we just couldn't wait around. We had to start working before the previous story was even done.

So to give the new creative teams some freedom and room to move, we started after some time had passed between the end of the last story and our first one. It's no different than when some comics open "One Year Later". Now, I'm hip enough to know that that's not going to be enough for readers who need stuff quantified right away, but we simply don't want to reveal all that right now. I know that gruntles some folks, but what can ya do? Some folks get disgruntled that we're still publishing Spidey after they told us to stop.

IGN Comics: Given the fact that everyone involved knew this change (both in OMD and BND) would be difficult to sell to fans, why haven't these questions been answered yet? Clearly it wouldn't work to list everything out in an encyclopedia, but why wait this long? Why not set the stage so everyone can see the intent/full direction for the character?

Wacker: I'm not sure what you're referring to specifically, but the stage is set pretty clearly from the first issue (ASM #546) on. You may not like the stage or you may not like that the stage was even built, but we're on that stage now and everybody starts on a level playing field. As always though, there's more to be revealed, but we wanted to be able play on the new stage for a bit before knocking it around and breaking things.

Why do it this way? Who knows? Why start any story anywhere? The Iron Man movie could have started on a dead horse tongue, but it didn't. (Boy, that was a crappy example. Okay make it a live horse tongue. That's yours for free, Favreau.)

Readers know as well as I do that this ain't math. It's all a mix of experience, inspiration and the most important ingredient: guess work. We found a way to set our stories up that intrigued the creative team and intrigued me. I suppose I could have strong-armed the stories into the shape you're suggesting, but A) I try not to run my books that way and B) Who's to say that would have led to stories you lied better? Certainly there would still be fans upset. Spider-Man fans are incredibly thoughtful and it matters deeply to them if they suspect you are mishandling the character. Everything else aside aside, I respect that.

Truth is, the events in Spidey were so dramatic, there was no way a certain percentage of people weren't going to find all this difficult to digest (I know this because Brevoort talked about it every single, unrelenting day in the year leading up to it), but the current Spidey team can't get too hung up on it.

I don't presume that any group of readers speaks for all "fans". Hell, we still get an occasional well-written letter from someone angry that the revelations of the Spidey Clone Saga were reversed. Some readers just want things the way they want them, and I have no problem with that…even when I don't agree. I like the debate and lunch on a steady diet of rage. But, again, I don't imagine any of them speak for everyone or even "most". And even if they did, storytelling by majority vote is a pretty frightening prospect. Go down that road and we'll all be watching : "So, You Think You're Smarter Than An America Idol Anatomy House Project Runway and Colmes".

By-and-large (please note that I said that when you write into complain to me that you're the exception to the "by-and-large"), most folks are mad about a story that no one on this particular team worked on and while I respect where they're coming from, all the clutching of pearls and falling on the fainting couch doesn't really make me feel like I need to launch into action and make my creative team change everything they're doing. That way lies madness.

IGN Comics: Last one before we turn over the mic to the mob. Is "New Ways to Die" going to reintroduce an Eddie Brock Venom back into Spider-Man's life or is this arc the only Spidey/Venom interaction we'll be able to see for a while?

Wacker: I can't answer question about Eddie's status quo post-NWTD…or even past ASM #559 .

Okay….They get married in Amazing Spider-Man #600. Thanks, Massachusetts!

IGN Comics: Alright, Steve, time for some good ol' fashioned reader questions. Remember, to all you reading out there, that you can send your questions for Steve (who might hand them off to the writers of the series for further information) by clicking here and filling out our e-mail form. Please try to keep it relatively concisder, clear and considerate, okay?

Taimur Asks: "Will Freak and/or Bookie be seen again and used by other writers?"

Wacker: Yes….Both play big parts in upcoming stories. One in New Ways to Die and one in the next big story-arc coming in January written by Guggenheim. We got a sneak peek at that next big story in this week's Amazing Spider-Man: Extra!

Sutherland Asks: "Is there any chance Amazing Spider-Man will become monthly again? Should more casual comic book readers (and purchasers) stick to Ultimate Spider-Man?"

Wacker: No plans to go monthly again, but there isn't a day goes by that I don't dream about it.

As for "casual comic book readers", I think they'll do what they've always done and keep buying the books that interest them. If that's Ultimate Spider-Man, I don't find that particularly offensive, as I think that's a great comic and it's been on the top of my reading pile for 8 years.

I do think though that the real casual readers, the folks that rarely if ever would pick a comic up in a store are drawn to the covers and I think our cover artists have delivered some amazing pieces from the word "go" starting with the first Phil Jimenez from the Free Comic Book Day story and Steve McNiven's instant classic from #546 that I felt perfectly captured the character and the book I wanted to put together.

Ben Asks: "When will Steve McNiven be drawing Spider-Man again?"

Wacker: Tonight. In my dreams.

In case you're wondering about the rest of the dream: I'm dressed as Rom: Space Knight and I'm making breakfast for John Romita, Jr., Geoff Johns, Garfield and Tara Reid. Is that music coming from the toaster? No, it's tiny Ralph Macchios playing Rock Band with Mark Waid and a Roomba. Deviled eggs fall from the sky. I lift my mask up but it's not my face I see…it's New York Met legend Tom Seaver, still mad I put Peter Parker in a Yankees jacket.

What's it all mean!?!?!?

Spencer Asks: "I am very excited about the 'New Ways to Die' arc and was wondering if any of the T-Bolts or Brand New Day cast will die? Will there be any major changes?"

Wacker: You ask too much, Spencer! Geez, you IGN folks must hate reading the stories!

{Insert snide comment here!}

I'll tell ya this: No T-Bolts die in New Ways To Die. On the other hand, if I were a T-Bolts reader I wouldn't assume death is the worst thing that can happen to one of them.

Chris Asks: "Whatever happened to Hybrid and Toxin, the two "heroic" symbiotes? Will they be appearing in SI or BND?" (And by the way, Josh asks the same question but also throws Carnage's name into the mix…)

Wacker: No plans for any of them right now. We're trying to keep the symbiote cast small for awhile.

Gary Asks: "Spider-man was always my favorite character since childhood, and throughout my teens. Now as an adult, I find myself growing tired of Peter Parker. The character has put us through the ringer emotionally for so long, I find myself worn out by the thought of seeing Parker go through the same painful events. In short, Parkers pathos makes me feel dread, instead of exhilaration, an emotion that Spidey's very nature should bring. Is Spider-man's emotional baggage seen as a problem to the creative team for future storylines?"

Wacker: Gary, sounds like you're tired of things that make Pete such a classic character for so many other people. I don't want to tell you what to do, but you may want to consider that the things you're tired of still resonate with other readers and they're still getting a thrill out of it.

I know the creators involved in Spidey now were to a person thrilled to bring some of Pete's pathos back to the book and certainly no one at Marvel is looking to end Peter Parker's story by having him find eternal happiness and light. That's great for some characters, but not Peter Parker. He's a bright guy who will sometimes make dumb, avoidable mistakes, but is always at least trying to do the right thing. He'll learn lessons the hard way, but will still do some things that will have you screaming at the page.

Personally, I don't want Sherlock Holmes to stop solving mysteries, I don't want Fonzie married, and I don't want Pete to lose his emotional baggage.

Gary Asks Again: "Does Marvel Comics feel it has lost some control over its ability to push Spider-Man as a lead asset since Sony is Spider-Man's most powerful mainstream outlet? Also, with the somewhat mixed response to recent arcs, can Marvel maintain Spider-man's mass appeal while taking the character in a new directions?

Wacker: I don't know of anyone here that's worried about any of that. Mixed responses to comic book story arcs are pretty much the status quo in this day and age."Hating" is the new "liking". Show me a book selling 200,000 copies every month and I'll show you a legion of people ready to tell you how bad it all is.

Honestly, we love the movies and with all that Sony does to get the character out there effectively, there's certainly no shortage of Marvel pushing Spidey too.

Why, what did you hear? Did they mention me? Leave a red flag in the planter on your porch. If it's there, I'll know to meet you at the underground parking garage across from the Watergate. Redrum.

Ankur Asks: "What happened to Spidey's upgraded powers (spikes, etc)?"

Wacker: We haven't seen them …yet.

Gary (a different one… I think) Asks: "What's going on with Peter and MJ? Mephisto told the they would always feel a profound sense of loss over the dissolution of their marriage, that they would be haunted all their lives. So far, Peter's biggest woe has been running out of web fluid and MJ's biggest sense of loss has been dating hot stud celebs! Woe is them!!"

Wacker: They both know inside their hearts that something is missing, but that's not to suggest that they both know exactly what that "thing" is. If they did it'd be pretty easy to resolve. Our way makes it totally more Shakespearean.

F'r instance, I knew tonight that I felt a deep haunting in my life over not having coconut sorbet in my belly. Unlike the tragic, Pete and MJ, I knew exactly what I needed to fill it and was able to run out to Sorbet Emporium and fill that hole. Woe is them, but Yum is me!

Matthew Asks: "We know Joe Kelly is coming up as a guest writer – anyone else? Mark Waid is slated to join the Brain Trust, correct? And Bob Gale and Zeb Wells are both departing the team, correct?"

Wacker: Joe and Mark are each writing a couple stories. Bob is still with us as a consultant and Zeb helped us through planning "New Ways to Die" but had to focus on some other work. Fortunately, Zeb is back with #577 in a story featuring the Punisher and a potential new job for Pete.

Being one of the book's regular writers is a pretty big commitment and eats up a lot of time as you have to read everyone else's scripts and make sure your own scripts match up. It doesn't sound like a lot in and of itself, but ask anyone who's worked like this: it consumes a lot of time.

Justin Asks: "Will we see more classic villains beyond Green Goblin and Venom. Any plans on that front?"

Wacker: Oh, yes…several.

We all have our favorites, but let me know here at IGN, who you'd like to see specifically. (And if your suggestion is Hydro-Man, you don't need to make it. I got ya covered.)

That's it. I'll see ya in month when we'll be smack in the middle of New Ways to Die, I'll be sweating deadlines, and all of the above will have just made you madder!

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=17551

J. Michael Straczynski didn't waste a minute of his Spotlight panel panel at Comic-Con International in San Diego last weekend. As fans of his work filed in to fill the 1,508-person capacity room, Straczynski, or JMS as he is known, reminisced on growing up in San Diego and going to college at San Diego State. He moved a lot when he was younger and found that places were always different but the books he found were always the same so those were always a comfort for him. The writer told of being at the Cannes Film Festival in the south of France earlier in the year alongside Clint Eastwood, Angelina Jolie and Ron Howard, all contributors to "Changeling," a movie for which he wrote the screenplay, and how amazing it was to be there, being "a kid from Jersey" by way of San Diego. JMS’s reminiscing followed words of encouragement to writers and creators to follow their dreams, a theme he returned to often throughout the panel.

After his introduction and once everyone had settled into their seats, Straczynski, always standing, opened up the floor to fan questions, which were every bit as varied as the work he has done, touching upon everything from his earliest writing to teases about what he has planned for the future. The line of fans with questions only became less then a dozen people long toward the end, before attendees realized they didn't need to be so respectful in not asking about the controversial Spider-Man story “One More Day."

The first question was about the "World War Z" movie, for which Straczynski wrote the screenplay. He said it would be a straight adaptation of Max Brooks' popular novel and he wasn't going to change any of the really great scenes in the book. The script turned out well and now they're looking for a director. He added to this that his career has hit a high point, having written 10 movie scripts in the last two years, and that he has started his own production company called And The Horse You Rode In On Productions.
Also by J. Michael Straczynski, "Babylon 5"

The next question, about writing DC Comics' "Brave & the Bold," brought the announcement that DC had re-acquired the rights to the Archie superheroes and that those characters would be re-introduced in stories co-starring Batman. The characters would have a clean slate and their new first appearances would be their origin stories, origins which might even involve Batman or other DC Universe characters. The Shield would be the first hero re-introduced in this way. In between the stories with the Archie heroes, there would be team-ups of strange pairings, like Supergirl and Solomon Grundy.

Jumping to Straczynski's most popular creation, the television series "Babylon 5," a fan asked if there were future plans for the show and its spin-off movies, especially stories featuring individual characters. Straczynski seemed dismayed about what happened to the property but was appreciative of the continuing interest by fans. He said that Warner Bros. never quite understood the series -- they never had much faith that the DVDs would sell well, and when they eventually did, only gave JMS $2 million to make a straight-to-DVD movie. The budget severely limited what they could do with a movie and Straczynski said he has no interest in doing anything with the property that would be less than a big-budget feature film. The audience seemed disappointed that there would be no future "Babylon 5" but were respectful that Straczynski would only do it if it was as good as it could be.

A question about "Lensman" had Straczynski telling a story about how he was a big fan of the books and that there was even a blurb by him on a cover, so the rights were bought for him to write the screenplay with a franchise of films in mind, with Ron Howard directing. JMS plans to start prepping this in the next year.
Also by J. Michael Straczynski, "Midnight Nation"

One fan asked if he has ever considered writing a textbook on producing television and movies and Straczynski said that he was certainly interested in teaching and passing what he knows to the next generation. He would like to teach at a junior college, which is where he had the most important parts of his education. He said he may indeed write an educational book in the future.

"Midnight Nation" was the next work Straczynski was asked about and he said that it was always intended to be a finite series. He said further that, as well as being one of his favorite stories he has done, it was also his most personal. JMS said the story happened when he was at a very dark part of his life, at a point where he had an "it," as a person always defines their life "before 'it'" and "after 'it'." He also said that he plans to make "Midnight Nation" into a screenplay. Speaking further about the personal nature of his story, he said that you have to feel your writing, to touch events emotionally, and that the best writing is about touching passion then coming back and telling about it.

The next fan asked about Straczynski's work on the "Ghostbusters" cartoon and Straczynski surprised the audience by saying that working on that show was one of the best creative experiences he'd had, as he had the freedom to do what he wanted with his stories and that was where he learned to trust his instincts in his writing.

The next question was about "Squadron Supreme"/"Supreme Power" and what happened with it, that not only did he leave the book but that he also left it on a cliffhanger. Straczynski said that when the focus of the book shifted from Mark, the main character, to the rest of the team, the air went out of him and the stories went downhill. Joe Quesada and the editors of the book decided to keep the series going, which he was fine with and seemed confident that new writer Howard Chaykin could do a good job on it. He apologized more than once for leaving the book as he did.
Also by J. Michael Straczynski, "The Amazing Spider-Man: One More Day"

In answer to a question about his upcoming television work, Straczynski hinted about a new series he was about to begin work on that would first be on the BBC then in America, and that would begin preparation next year at the soonest.

A fan bafflingly asked about work by Straczynski's friend Harlan Ellison and Straczynski used that moment to give another lesson about writing, telling a story that early in his career he found he could mimic any other writer's style but that he had to learn to tell stories in his own voice and the best writers are those who write like they talk, and vice versa, and that the best writing is the simplest.

Asked about a Babylon 5 video game, JMS said last year was happening but that he vetoed the deal when, once again, Warner Bros. wanted to do it too cheaply for it to be any good.

Next was "Amazing Spider-Man" and how Straczynski had gone about writing that. He said that, as a writer, he had to respect what had come before his stories but that he also wanted to ask questions and do something new with the characters.

When asked about "Changeling," Straczynski told a lengthy story about how the story that is the movie came to be and how it originated from complex but true events in a corrupt and dark 1920s Los Angeles. The audience gasped as he glanced over parts of the plot of the movie, just detailing enough to make sure everyone in the room would surely see it when it comes out. He also said that after doing two years of research and thinking about the story, he wrote a draft in 11 days and that is what the filmmakers shot. Clint Eastwood, when asked about why he shot the movie straight from a first draft, said that he had made a lot of movies and knew when to not mess with a good story. Straczynski said the only alteration made to his script was changing Scrabble to "a crossword puzzle" because Scrabble wouldn't come out for another two years after when the movie takes place.
Also by J. Michael Straczynski, "Silver Surfer: Requiem"

When a fan asked about "Silver Surfer: Requiem," which is astory about how a man with the powers of a god faces death, Straczynski took the opportunity to repeat that a good writer writes for him or herself.

A fan asked about "Jeremiah" and Straczynski said that working on that show was the worst experience he's ever had in writing. He only stayed around because he had a contract, and that he would have nothing else to do with the show if it continued.

The next fan asked for advice on writing large projects, something Straczynski has had some experience in. Straczynski said that he treats each scene as its own story and that he breaks any big story into small bits. He advised to look at the big picture in the story just enough to pull the story together then zoom in on what's in front of you and work on that.

When asked about what Straczynski had planned with "Babylon 5" if he could have continued with it, Straczynski said the outline he had included in the "Babylon 5" scriptbook included what he had always planned and that what he had planned originally, including the ending, never changed.

Closing in on the end of the panel, Straczynski said, when asked about the Brand New Da era of Spider-Man, that he had not read it. A fan suddenly jumped to ask a question about how Straczynski ended his eight-year Spider-Man run. Straczynski said that Quesada had come to him with the idea for "One More Day" and basically dictated the story to him. Straczynski disagreed with what Quesada wanted to do but respected that the Editor-in-Chief was the custodian of the care of the Spider-Man character and he still wrote the story.

Straczynski then thanked the audience for coming and put the microphone down, a nice note to bring the panel to a close.

I have so much respect for JMS. He kept his composure and honestly answered questions.
This article proves Queseda lied about OMD. JMS got left holding the bag, he knew it was crap. it explains why Spidey's previous encounters with magic made sense and why this doesn't. :csad: In respect to him I will never buy another issue of asm until Queseda steps down. even if continuity is restored.

It seems like momentum is slowy shifting back to DC Comics, what with the Batman movie dominating the universe, and long time Marvel alumni like Mark Bagley jumping ship to go work there (BTW; Mark's artwork on DC's "big three" is stunning for those who havent seen it yet :super::bat::ww: )...

I also think Straz will be at DC full time in the near future...

Anyway; any ideas on who that third returning "classic Spidey foe" might be...? :otto:

Kraven, his tombstone was in a promo pic. But I'd also put some money on the Lizard if Freak is involved.

Wacker seems really cool. I have no problem with him, or with any of the writers on ASM right now. They all seem to be top-notch guys, even if I don't like their stories.

JMS, poor guy. He had a different idea for Sins Past, and it was changed (horribly), and thus, most of his run, post SP, followed suit.

Mark my words, Spidey will one day return to greatness. Perhaps he will never be married again....but this "Devil-Spidey" continuity will be undone by someone. Here's hoping sales continue to fall.

I hope sales plummet quicker than they are already too, so that this mess can be undone and so that i can loyally purchase good (Within continuity, non-devil) spidey comics again that i enjoy.

I hope sales plummet quicker than they are already too, so that this mess can be undone and so that i can loyally purchase good (Within continuity, non-devil) spidey comics again that i enjoy.

I admit my statement earlier was drastic. Queseda has done good things as well but its really messed up....JMS has given so much new life into the Spidey series. and reading that interview its obvious why the other was exploited.

With a few notable exceptions, I've come to think of JMS as a middle of the road or lower tiered ASM writer...

I did a ranking system of all the best writers of ASM since 1963, and JMS ranks around 7th place with Stan Lee, Marv Wolfman, Roger Stern, Gerry Conway, Len Wein, Tom DeFalco & JM Demattheis all coming in higher ranks...

Only Howard Mackie & David Micheline ranked lower...

well yeah, in that case he can't compete. those are legends. but his stories (unlike most of theres) were usually sucked dry or tampered with....

To be honest, I'd actually like to read JMS's original plans/ideas for his run, including more insight on his original Sins Past and OMD plans than what hes stated in interviews.

JMS might have done better if he didn't get tangled up in these cross overs (Civil War) and editorial decisions. At least he tried to do something new with Spider-Man. Which is more than you can say about the BND-writers.

JMS might have done better if he didn't get tangled up in these cross overs (Civil War) and editorial decisions. At least he tried to do something new with Spider-Man. Which is more than you can say about the BND-writers.

Exactly......I loved his whole run until the other came around. (yes that involves SP even though gwen should have been unwilling IMO) and it is comforting to know that at about that point he lost control over the direction.

Besides Sins Past and the Other....JMS had a really good run.

His writing of the marriage i thought was really good and often cute.

Most of his stoires were interesting.

I think he got bogged down in all the events that were lined up to secretly take the book in the direction of reboot, as Joe has said he was planning that for two years and knew that was the direction he was going to take it.

Besides Sins Past and the Other....JMS had a really good run.

His writing of the marriage i thought was really good and often cute.

Most of his stoires were interesting.

I think he got bogged down in all the events that were lined up to secretly take the book in the direction of reboot, as Joe has said he was planning that for two years and knew that was the direction he was going to take it.

I'm not sure I agree about this. I don't think JMS' run was that good with the exception of a couple of arcs and a few standout issues. I agree with TMOTB.

It was clear from the start of his run, he wanted to leave his mark on the character, even if it meant making radical changes. So its no wonder he got some editorial mandates from the powers above.

So it all boils down to this: Joe Q is bad for Spidey.

But I suppose that you can say that the BND-writers are also sort of tangled up with editorial decisions, the "rules" Marvel has set up for the direction
they wanted to take the series in. So my lack of interest in Spider-Man at the moment has nothing to do with the new writers. They might be doing the best they can under the circumstances. :)

Even though JMS was an awesome writer for spidey, he had some really messed up plans for him. Did you guys forget that JMS originally intended for the kids in Sins Past to be Peter's instead of Norman's? That would have been a hoorrible mistake. It was because of Joe Q that he changed it to norman. Would you guys have liked spiderman with two fully grown "super kids"?

Everything JMS before Sins Past was the hotness - So maybe he got screwed in some way. I would love JMS on BND Spidey.

thats true stu, but who wouldn't want to leave there mark on such a great character? I really don't think he meant to rewrite the characters origin. but to only question it

kguillou, I know that wouldn't have been the best story but the man, at least ADMITS when something he did was crap. he originally thought he'd have time to retcon it but the events and Joey Q wouldn't allow him that......

hey did you guys notice pretty much only Spidey fans have a strong distaste for Joey Q?

Even though JMS was an awesome writer for spidey, he had some really messed up plans for him. Did you guys forget that JMS originally intended for the kids in Sins Past to be Peter's instead of Norman's? That would have been a hoorrible mistake. It was because of Joe Q that he changed it to norman. Would you guys have liked spiderman with two fully grown "super kids"?

Actually considering the original story was pete knocks gwen up, norman finds out and manipulates the situation to get gwen out of the country, effectively steal the kids, genetically mess with them (as norman loves to do) and send them after their "father" all hopped up on hate, yes I kinda like that as the storyline. It stops gwen from becoming an unsimpathetic **** and makes her just a manipulated victim of Norman. It would have given pete a whole new take on responsibility and purpose with the kids. Plus we didn't need more goblins. Now let's take that further and say norman had the jackal mess with gwen to make her think she miscarried and that's what she tells MJ. Now MJ is not a tool but someone that didn't want to tell Pete out of love, same with Gwen. Inject this into the story rather than creepy norman sex and the story isn't nearly the atrocity that we got.

Regarding JMS as the level of writer I can see both sides. For the good we have:

the 911 issue - self explainitory
the new avengers arc - this is still the best NA story I've read.
the loki arc - ok, I'm biased with my loki love, but this story was really good. Especially when you just had loki and pete talking and kinda becoming friends. Also this actually dealt with loki's children so extra cool points for reading some of the myths.
the birthday issue - I just loved this issue. And remember the crap that came before this? Pete reliving his past, doc strange, pete saving the world (or was it universe) and finally ben. It just fired on all cylinders.

For the pretty good we have:

the other - (I know there are mixed feelings on this, personally I liked it. I don't mind the idea of Pete being chosen as a hero [he's certianly worthy] and I really liked how all the other friends of Pete's reacted to the news of his death to his actual death. Tony and Cap in paticular seemed really shaken by everything)

BiB - remember this was streached an extra issue hence the filler because they needed to make it jive with other timelines. So if you take that into consideration this was actually pretty kick ass, especially the Pete Kingpin fight. That moment when pete took his mask off and explained how it's not spider-man that's gonna kick your ass, but Peter Parker? Gave me chills.

The War at Home - Again this was streached beyond what was intended to fit time issues so you have to give an ease to some of the filler. But beyond that we had Pete vs. Cap, Pete vs. Tony and some of the best Peter Parker speeches I've ever read. From Pete talking to the media both times, to pete and cap talking to pete and reed discussing his uncle (that was especially touching) it actually made Peter Parker the heart and conscious of Civil War, rather than injecting him in some more awkard way as most crossovers seem to like to do.

For the awful:

Sins Past- hey this is a different story than what he wanted to write, but Joey Q changed the idea to this, then wouldn't let JMS retcon it out of existence as promised.

OMD - Again, little of what he wanted came into this story and for the first time I've ever heard of this, a writer didn't want credit. If you know any writers you know just how big a statement that is.

IMO, JMS has been one of the better writers Spider-Man has had, and certianly the best in recent memory. (though after reading the fraction annual, I'd love to see him write a bit more) When any of the BND issues reach the caliber of those "good" ranked issues let me know, but after over a year (issue wise) of stories I can't say any stand out near that level of quality. Grab the birthday issue and put that against any issue from OMD on, and be honest, so far the new talent just hasn't delivered

With a few notable exceptions, I've come to think of JMS as a middle of the road or lower tiered ASM writer...

I did a ranking system of all the best writers of ASM since 1963, and JMS ranks around 7th place with Stan Lee, Marv Wolfman, Roger Stern, Gerry Conway, Len Wein, Tom DeFalco & JM Demattheis all coming in higher ranks...

Only Howard Mackie & David Micheline ranked lower...

Really? I think Michelinie, quite frankly, blows Straz out of the water... (no offense, or anything)...

Michelinie contributed Venom to the Spider-Man saga, and despite what that character became, there's no discounting his initial impact, and fan worship to this very day.

Straz gave us Sins Past, The Other, and a bunch of throwaway villains. (not sure what, exactly, his contribution to BND actually IS, as he's currently taking the "Richard M. Nixon" stance in regards to it)...:grin:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"