Iron Man 2 Ironman 2 Best Picture Oscar ?

Tacit Ronin

Avenger
Reaction score
Do you think Ironman 2 will claim the glory of being the first ever superhero movie to be nominated for best picture ? :awesome:

I mean if District freakin' 9 can do it, so can Ironman.

Do you think Ironman 2 will claim the glory of being the first ever superhero movie to be nominated for best picture ? :awesome:

156555lol1.jpg

There is no way Iron Man 2 should win best picture. It's not even the best superhero picture by far. Definitely not worthy.

It's not even the best superhero picture by far.

That is irrelevant to the 2010 Best Picture race. It's not competing with past movies, it's competing with movies from this year. That being said, it all comes down to competition. Most of the Oscar bait will be released in October, November, and December. We'll just have to see how everything stacks up at that point.

Is this thread for real ?

Best Picture...don't be silly.

Nomination...well everything gets nominated nowadays so it doesn't mean as much. Best Director still counts for something being restricted to 5 but I doubt IM2 is going to get anywhere near that.

Not to say it's not a good superhero film, worthy successor to the original & another solid prelude chapter to Avengers.

I've read this a few places.

They're kind of debating it over on IMDB.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1228705/board/thread/159795006?p=1

One things for sure, Iron Man 1 was far better than D9. So, if IM2 is as good as IM1, you do the math. After the "was D9 really good" debate died down over there, Iron Man 2 is getting a little buzz on its own. I think RDJr should have a shot for best actor.

How can the awards people keep overlooking this part? RDJr as Tony Stark is now the stuff of legend. Think Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal. Pacino as Michael Corleone. Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones. Clark Gable as Rhett Butler. Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry. John Wayne as Rooster Cogburn. Marlon Brando as Vito Corleone.

Not a chance.

And IM1 was not far better than D9.

Iron Man 2 is not even the best superhero movie of this month, never mind this year. Arise, Kick Ass...

Why didn't Dark Knight get nominated? Didn't Avatar? I'm sorry, I haven't kept track. Anywho, if Beauty and the Beast, and animated Disney movie can get nominated for Best Picture, and Six Sense, a thriller, can get nominated for Best Picture. Then I'm sure a superhero movie can be nominated... however... I would have thought Dark Knight would be that superhero movie. Critics and Audience loved it. It made a LOT of money. It was... hey it was a very well made movie... Another thing to take into effect, is now 10 MOVIES ARE BEING NOMINATED, this chance just doubled.

Goddamnit Nintendo nerd. That picture will be haunting me for days!

District 9 was (in my opinon anyway) a far superior film to Iron Man 2.
Iron Man 2 was a very good movie, but I dont see it getting a nomination. Not only because of the Academy stigma to blockbusters and comic book movies, but also because I doubt it will be among the best films of the year.

I haven't seen the second film, but even the first film... was never trying to win any awards. They were just trying to make fun movie, that has a decent story, and will please the fans and be half way true to the source material. Best Picture, is not on their minds. They will be lucky if the movie goes down in the "fan" community as a positive thing or not, with how so many movies become hated by the fans.

Iron Man 1 was better, and I wouldn't have nominated that either

I've read this a few places.

They're kind of debating it over on IMDB.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1228705/board/thread/159795006?p=1

One things for sure, Iron Man 1 was far better than D9. So, if IM2 is as good as IM1, you do the math. After the "was D9 really good" debate died down over there, Iron Man 2 is getting a little buzz on its own. I think RDJr should have a shot for best actor.

How can the awards people keep overlooking this part? RDJr as Tony Stark is now the stuff of legend. Think Anthony Hopkins as Hannibal. Pacino as Michael Corleone. Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones. Clark Gable as Rhett Butler. Clint Eastwood as Dirty Harry. John Wayne as Rooster Cogburn. Marlon Brando as Vito Corleone.

RDJ's performance as Tony Stark is not much different from a number of performances he's given over the years, including in the film Zodiac (which came out a year before IM1). As for Harrison Ford, he wasn't nominated for Indiana Jones. As for the Godfather movies, I think it's a poor comparison. The acting by Brando and Pacino was phenomenal -- transcendental. I feel I've seen RDJ's Stark before in his other performances. It's not groundbreaking work.

Iron Man 2 is not even the best superhero movie of this month, never mind this year. Arise, Kick Ass...

I want to see someone prestigious at the Oscars say Kick Ass

Helen Mirran- and the Oscar goes to........Kick ass.

Fanboys mentioning Kick-Ass makes me chuckle. I enjoyed that film for what it was but the plot is horribly moronic and the tone was all over the place. Small time film for small time tastes IMO. Maybe if I were still in high school, it would have appealed to me more?

It would have to be better than The Dark Knight to do such. And it wasn't.

District 9 broke ground by having an unknown director and an unknown actor create a film that used little amounts of money to create an amazing epic film that puts Avatar to shame, imo.

I don't know if we will ever get an oscar nod for a super hero film.

It would have to be better than The Dark Knight to do such.

Not true. With the recent expansion from 5 nominees to 10 nominees for 2009 movies going forward, it's easier for populist movies to get nominated. The Blind Side got nominated after all. :oldrazz:

The Blind Side was amazing though, imo.

Either that, or I'm being biased because I'm a Ravens fan and I think Sandra Bullock is hot, haha.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"