Is it inappropriate to acknowledge sexiness in cosplay?

I dont get why people get insulted when others say they find them sexy. Is sexy a bad thing? Howso exactly?

Personally, if someone went up to me and said I looked hot/sexy/etc, I would get very flattered. Sadly that never happens :(

I think with most people it just depends on who's saying it.

Sometimes I wonder how many of these stones thrown at men in general are particularly honest.

I've done things, and certainly said things, that if read allowed in a court room would be sexual assault/harassment. I mean, to a certain degree I like to think I'm more smooth about it I like to think, but maybe I'm not.

To a certain extent I've lived both sides of the coin. I've worked towards being more physically attractive I feel, but I mean I'm not certain I was but whatever...

...the point is since I've felt more attractive I've noticed I have the ability to get away with things I'm just not sure others can.

So that's what irks me here. When Ryan Gosling says it, okay, we're fine with it. When Simon Pegg, who is funny, but let's be honest, not a sex symbol, says it, well then it's harassment.

Sometimes I feel though, like the Tom Brady SNL skit said, to avoid sexual harassment claims "be attractive, don't be unattractive".

Same here.

I remember an episode of Boston Legal, where James Spader's character, lawyer Alan Shore, was the defense attorney for a homeless man who was being accused of grabbing and kissing a woman in front of her child. Later it was revealed that he did this in retaliation for something nasty the woman had done to him days before, and much was being made about how the man was being turned into a sexual predator because of kissing her. The woman went on and on in her testimony about how she felt disgusting and like she was raped, all because of this homeless man kissing her.

Alan then said something to the effect of, "If instead the man who kissed you was Brad Pitt, would we be having this trial?"

The woman didn't say a word after.

I know it's a TV show, but it was a good point that this article reminded me of. I have a number of female friends, most of which are completely fine with comments like Simon Pegg's (and worse) being made, if not inviting of it. Hell, I knew one who would ask our old workplace to get a Batman Returns Catwoman suit because, "Michelle Pfeiffer was ****ing hot, and I would rock that ****,"- her words.

Feminists need to back off. These women dress like this for a number of reasons. One of them likely isn't "to empower my sex and prove I'm not to be viewed as sexually attractive".

I dont get why people get insulted when others say they find them sexy. Is sexy a bad thing? Howso exactly?

Personally, if someone went up to me and said I looked hot/sexy/etc, I would get very flattered. Sadly that never happens :(

I think the problem is that for most people, when people tell them "you're sexy" the subtext is "the only purpose you have is to be a sexual creature and your sexuality exists for my benefit." And that kind of thing makes folks uncomfortable. It's a context thing.

As others have said earlier in the thread, for the most part, if someone dresses provocatively, it's because they want the attention. However, that doesn't necessarily mean it has to be sexual. I've seen female cosplayers leaving most of their body exposed, and there's something about that that just catches your eye whether you are a male or female. Heck, I've seen men dress up as sexy female characters with most of their bodies exposed as "disturbing" as some people may find that, it serves its purpose of catching eyes.

I think cosplayers in general all want to get some kind of attention for the costumes they wear and most likely put a lot of hard work into, and I can only imagine the kind of disappointment that occurs when hardly anybody notices you at a 7-9 hours convention. So people who either dress either with expensive and accurate costumes or a lack of clothing, are just doing things that will put themselves ahead of the countless number of other cosplayers that are part of the crowded convention.

There was this one cosplay pic in the NYCC thread that creeped me out.

It was this Harley Quinn, and her body looked to be about 18-24, but her face looked like she was like 12. I was so confused. :(

That chick going after Pegg sounded like a real feminazi *****. :o

If it's ok to talk about sexiness normally I don't see what makes it less appropriate when it comes to cosplay
Real talk: Don't wear sexy cloths if you don't want sexy attention.
:highfive:

There was this one cosplay pic in the NYCC thread that creeped me out.

It was this Harley Quinn, and her body looked to be about 18-24, but her face looked like she was like 12. I was so confused. :(
You mean this one?
DSC02636.jpg

Haha, I gotta admit, I went to take the pic because I saw a bunch of people taking pictures of her and I thought the costume was really well done, so I tried to get a good shot. But when I looked to see how it came out a few minutes later, I noticed something was a bit off.

Great outfit, but yeah she does look a little too young.

I don't see her that young
Maybe 16, nothing less

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"