Reverse Sexism

kainedamo

Superhero
Reaction score
Reverse sexism, or sexism that is aimed at males. Do you think it exists? Do you have any interesting examples that have happened to yourself or someone that you know? What forms of "reverse sexism" do we see in society or in the media?

There are several forms of reverse sexism that are passed onto us from childhood. "A boy can't hit a girl". This suggests that if a girl hits you, you must not retaliate. If a girl teases you, you're just going to have to let her. Such attitudes, while well meaning, pervade later into peoples' thought processes later in life. In other words, some women realize that they can get away with things that men can't, and take full advantage.

Example. About a year ago, I was queing up to get into a club. I noticed a woman was making fun of a man in the que. I mean seriously, this woman was humiliating this guy. And it was all over the fact that the man wouldn't let her into his place in the que. Why the hell should he? She didn't appear drunk, she just appeared to be an utter *****. And people were actually laughing at her comments. She was making fun of his clothes, his looks, everything, just 'cause he didn't want to let her in the que. I'm willing to bet she did this because she knew there was nothing the man could do to stop her. If another guy were doing this, things would turn ugly fairly quickly. Plus, people were laughing. I wasn't very amused. But yeah, if the roles were reversed, a guy yelling at a girl, humiliating her, no one would find it amusing. In fact, people would probably step into stop him. The thing is, women can be just as aggressive verbally as men can, so why shouldn't people stop a girl from verbally attacking a guy?? Although, at the time, I didn't think it would be best to get involved.

Another example is the girl who argued with me over a seat, which I made a thread about. If it were a guy, he probably wouldn't have said anything at all. Like I said earlier, one guy verbally attacking another can lead to an ugly, violent situation. I do believe some girls think to themselves "this guy won't retaliate because I'm a girl" so they get in all the verbal digs they can.

In the media, we see ALOT of examples of reverse sexism. Beer ads show men as sex obsessed, football obsessed baffoons. The Carlsberg ads show in EVERY single ad some guy who's so obsessed with football, his world practically revolves around it. In one ad, it shows that this one guy's idea of a perfect world is living in a swanky apartment with attractive women who love to cook, and a balcony that overlooks a football stadium.

Lynx ads show men using a spray as a sort of "date rape" product that turns women into helpless sex crazed ****es. Which is, I guess, offensive to both sexes.

In comedies, such as Old School for example, men are often portrayed as drunken, sex obsessed baffoons yet again. While women, very often in these types of comedies, are seen as the smart women who have never-ending patience for their idiotic boyfriends/husbands.

In romantic comedies, men practically break their backs to please their one true love, going through never-ending trials to prove their love. Hitch in particular sticks in my mind. Hitch's love interest was a sexist *****, there was no way he should have chased after her in the end of the movie. I actually can't remember what made her a sexist *****, but I remember thinking that near the end of the film. Or at least, I definately thought she was not worthy of Hitch's affections. Some of these comedies really do beg the question "what the **** do I have to do to please you, you ****ing heartless *****!". I find that romantic comedies also gives some women here in the real world unrealistic expectations. A man isn't going to drastically change himself just to prove he loves you, and he shouldn't have to eitehr.

40 Year Old Virgin springs to mind. It's a good comedy, I thought it was very funny. But there was a couple of things wrong. The woman that is the love of his life forces him to sell his toys!! The movie did several things which I felt delivered the wrong message. The movie seemed to be saying that the 40 year old virgin needed to grow up, whereas I felt there was absolutely nothing wrong with him to begin with. This speaks alot about the attitudes of some women in today's society. It's not enough for them that there is this man that is sweet, kind, smart, and funny, and that cooks and works out regularly. Nooooooooo! He's gotta sell all his cool toys too :whatever:

LOL. I mean, do you guys know what I'm saying? Romantic comedies give across the wrong message about what guys should do to prove their love.

Another example of reverse sexism in the media is the talk of sexism itself. When male characters gather around and participate in sexist talk against women, they are rightfully seen as idiotic pigs, right? When a group of female characters gather around to participate in sexist talk against men, it's almost seen as intelligent banter. Take Sex In The City for example. There's that character that just uses men for sex and talks about them like they're objects. This character is an object of admiration for the women that watch the show. If it were a male, he'd be seen as a bastard.

yeah theres a lot of it... about 80-90% of adverts on TV portrays men and the dad role as bumbling idiot buffoon who cant do anything right.. and the womens always the one in control.

If you actually look at when your watching TV its astonishing how many "stupid man" adverts there are.

yeah theres a lot of it... about 80-90% of adverts on TV portrays men and the dad role as bumbling idiot buffoon who cant do anything right.. and the womens always the one in control.

If you actually look at when your watching TV its astonishing how many "stupid man" adverts there are.

and its crazy how close to real life most of them are :( ;)

sexism is sexism - whether you're being sexist about the guy or the girl

(you wouldn't say reverse racism would you?)

Yes, it exists. No, it's not likely to change.

Us gals need to be able to pick on you guys (and sometimes you make it downright easy ;) )

sexism is sexism - whether you're being sexist about the guy or the girl

(you wouldn't say reverse racism would you?)

Yes, it exists. No, it's not likely to change.

Us gals need to be able to pick on you guys (and sometimes you make it downright easy ;) )

I agree. It's the same thing. But people DO say reverse racism. I'd compare it more to a reverse bowel movement.

thats i agree with, there are 2 examples of ads in the uk, both played on the joke of men coming back

a car on where a whole city was populated by women and you couldnt see who was driving the car untill the end when a man steps out( note you dont see his face) and the women react in shock, with the tag line " men are back"

the other was an ad for the burger king double whopper burger

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbGEOob5x4g

both we're pulled due to women complaining, that they were sexist and demeaning to women.

its quite interesting how the advertising media is controlled and/or aimed at the sexs

It bugged me that I couldn't remember why I thought Hitch was sexist, so I looked at IMDB to see if I could be reminded and found the following post on the board.

ok i've watched this film several times, and each time i ask myself the same question. How on earth do you forgive a women who ruins your carrier/life on what seemed like a wim so easily?
with no jernalistic investigation carried out, just a short converstaion with no details and a business card, she very happily ruins him, and with the worst half-hearted apology i've ever seen, somehow turns the situation against the guy(hitch). makes him feel guilty and chase after her, when SHE should have been the one on her nee's begging him to take her back. Not the other way around.
the final scene infact anoyed me, by the way she was acting, like shes the one who has the right to the moral high ground. when she doesnt.
And i cant see any amount of "love" which could make sence of this unlogical situation.

So yeah. I remember exactly what it was now. She made a mistake, ruined Hitchs' career for no reason at all, broke his heart, and yet HE apologises to HER?? Typical la-la land Hollywood crap where a guy breaks his back for the girl of his dreams.

The most realistic romance movie, and the sweetest and best romance movie I've ever watched, is Amelie. Very charming movie, AND realistic in its portrayel of love.

hitch was crap anyway.

and that guy's spelling leaves alot to be desired too! ;)

another bleedin double post...

whats going on..didnt even click twice!!

Wait you mean at some points and time life isn't fair? Do the politicians know this? Dear God people something must be done!

Not everything is fair and sometimes double standards do exist, but at the same time I don't have to give birth, pee sitting down or have visits from my aunt flo. Considering this I think maybe letting chicks get away with more than men is just fine, but then I'm kinda a sucker for a pretty girl in general. Besides we never had to fight for the right to vote or not get beaten with sticks or any of that nonsense, so why not let them poke a bit of fun. We can either develop a sense of humor or whine about it like little girls(joke).

Yeah Amelie is one of my all-time favorites. Some other great realistic portrayals are some of the stories from Love Actually (not all, obviously), sliding doors, eternal sunshine of the spotless mind and some of the stuff in under the tuscan sun. Even the newest Pride and Prejudice handled love in a pretty modern way which in my opinion could be feasible (emotionally anyway).

I think I've stopped on Love Actually enough times that I've watched the whole thing. I always felt bad for the Laura Linney character that she couldn't get with that guy cause her brother was a crazy.

Yeah Amelie is one of my all-time favorites. Some other great realistic portrayals are some of the stories from Love Actually (not all, obviously), sliding doors, eternal sunshine of the spotless mind and some of the stuff in under the tuscan sun. Even the newest Pride and Prejudice handled love in a pretty modern way which in my opinion could be feasible (emotionally anyway).

Amelie is awesome. The problem with alot of romantic comedies is that they're very formulatic and they don't make you feel anything. A movie thats centered around love should make you FEEL something, instead of catering to gushy teen girls.

Amelie really makes you feel for the main character. The first time I watched that movie, I practically felt like shouting out at her to just talk to the guy! The scene where she imagines him coming across the room, running his hands over the beads is particularly touching. It's the sort of thing that you do in real life - day dream about love. I think it's a wonderful movie. It makes ya all happy and gushy inside.

I think I've stopped on Love Actually enough times that I've watched the whole thing. I always felt bad for the Laura Linney character that she couldn't get with that guy cause her brother was a crazy.

I know that guy was hot. Karl. Mmm.

Amelie is awesome. The problem with alot of romantic comedies is that they're very formulatic and they don't make you feel anything. A movie thats centered around love should make you FEEL something, instead of catering to gushy teen girls.

Amelie really makes you feel for the main character. The first time I watched that movie, I practically felt like shouting out at her to just talk to the guy! The scene where she imagines him coming across the room, running his hands over the beads is particularly touching. It's the sort of thing that you do in real life - day dream about love. I think it's a wonderful movie. It makes ya all happy and gushy inside.

That movie just makes me glow. When ever I feel crappy I just watch Amelie and it picks me up.

I always thought true romance was the greatest romantic movie of all time. I'm mean having sex in a phone booth? That's classy! Plus it ended the way all great romances do: with a maiming, a gunfight and elvis.

I know that guy was hot. Karl. Mmm.

Harry: Tell me, exactly, how long it is that you've been working here?
Sarah: Two years, seven months, three days and, I suppose, what, two hours?
Harry: And how long have you been in love with Karl, our enigmatic chief designer?
Sarah: Ahm, two years, seven months, three days and, I suppose, an hour and thirty minutes.
Harry: I thought as much.
Sarah: Do you think everybody knows?
Harry: Yes.
Sarah: Do you think Karl knows?
Harry: Yes.
Sarah: Oh that is bad news.
Harry: Well I just thought maybe the time had come to do something about it.
Sarah: Like what?
Harry: Invite him out for a drink and then after about twenty minutes casually drop into the conversation the fact that you'd like to marry him and have lots of sex and babies.

Oh I agree. On another message board I was on, I expressed discontent with the idea of an enforced population limit due to the insane amount of government interference it would cause. I was asked, by the topic's originator, a woman, if I was a Libertarian or if it was because I was a man, I had some sort of urge to breed as much as possible.

It was very insulting.

How many times do you hear of sex discrimination lawsuits against companies with the complaint of "they promote men faster/instead of women!" but no one ever asks the obvious question: Who was better qualified?

And something else that I've never heard anyone say: Isn't getting promoted because you're a woman, not because you're qualified, just as sexist as if the company really WAS promoting unqualified men instead of qualified women?

I was in a relationship that was very heavy on the emotional and mental abuse. I was the abused, she was the abuser. She lied to her friends about me, exaggerated our arguments so SHE was the innocent one, so much so that her friends convinced her to dump me because of it. She threatened to leave me if I won a script contest where the winner got to go to LA to a workshop for a year, she constantly told me that I needed that my writing would never amount to anything, she intentionally tried to distance me from friends and family, and she would, at times, intentionally hit me.

She's done her damnedest to convince me I was an abuser, but I called her bluff on it one night when she told me she had the man who would be her boyfriend take "pictures of the bruises I gave her." I told her I wanted to see them, and she stonewalled and stonewalled, and finally the issue was dropped all together because, you guessed it, those pictures don't exist (and what sick **** would take those anyway and not do anything with them? Seriously.)

If you listen to her tell it, I beat her from pillar to post everyday of our relationship, but without ever leaving a single mark on her. She lied so much to her next boyfriend about me that when I was talking to her at the mall one night, he showed up and she freaked out so bad that the next day I went to talk to her and she called up one of her friends and told him I was stalking her and asked him to come up to the mall to "protect" her. Her boyfriend even wanted to issue a restraining order against me. The first time I saw her after we broke up, he hovered around like a vulture because she had him convinced that I was willing and able to lay the smackdown in a place with witnesses, and security.

She's even lied to me about events that didn't happen, which she claims happened in front of witnesses (her friends, of course) and then she refused to let me talk to said friend.

I really can't do anything but laugh at the lengths she'll go to for attention.

I can only imagine the stories she told.

But who would you believe in this situation? Her or me? I can tell you right now a good majority would believe HER for the simple fact that she's a woman, and not even care about the other end.

Oh I agree. On another message board I was on, I expressed discontent with the idea of an enforced population limit due to the insane amount of government interference it would cause. I was asked, by the topic's originator, a woman, if I was a Libertarian or if it was because I was a man, I had some sort of urge to breed as much as possible.

It was very insulting.

How many times do you hear of sex discrimination lawsuits against companies with the complaint of "they promote men faster/instead of women!" but no one ever asks the obvious question: Who was better qualified?

And something else that I've never heard anyone say: Isn't getting promoted because you're a woman, not because you're qualified, just as sexist as if the company really WAS promoting unqualified men instead of qualified women?

I was in a relationship that was very heavy on the emotional and mental abuse. I was the abused, she was the abuser. She lied to her friends about me, exaggerated our arguments so SHE was the innocent one, so much so that her friends convinced her to dump me because of it. She threatened to leave me if I won a script contest where the winner got to go to LA to a workshop for a year, she constantly told me that I needed that my writing would never amount to anything, she intentionally tried to distance me from friends and family, and she would, at times, intentionally hit me.

She's done her damnedest to convince me I was an abuser, but I called her bluff on it one night when she told me she had the man who would be her boyfriend take "pictures of the bruises I gave her." I told her I wanted to see them, and she stonewalled and stonewalled, and finally the issue was dropped all together because, you guessed it, those pictures don't exist (and what sick **** would take those anyway and not do anything with them? Seriously.)

If you listen to her tell it, I beat her from pillar to post everyday of our relationship, but without ever leaving a single mark on her. She lied so much to her next boyfriend about me that when I was talking to her at the mall one night, he showed up and she freaked out so bad that the next day I went to talk to her and she called up one of her friends and told him I was stalking her and asked him to come up to the mall to "protect" her. Her boyfriend even wanted to issue a restraining order against me. The first time I saw her after we broke up, he hovered around like a vulture because she had him convinced that I was willing and able to lay the smackdown in a place with witnesses, and security.

She's even lied to me about events that didn't happen, which she claims happened in front of witnesses (her friends, of course) and then she refused to let me talk to said friend.

I really can't do anything but laugh at the lengths she'll go to for attention.

I can only imagine the stories she told.

But who would you believe in this situation? Her or me? I can tell you right now a good majority would believe HER for the simple fact that she's a woman, and not even care about the other end.

Why did you stay with her in the first place?

Cause crazy girls are usually the hottest girls. :up:

Cause crazy girls are usually the hottest girls. :up:

Yeah but are we really so low on crazy chicks that people need to camp out on one? There's like 30 crazy chicks in my office right now. I'm just saying enjoy the ride the first time, but riding the rollercoaster repeatedly generally makes it boring and increases the chances of malfunctions and death.

Yeah but are we really so low on crazy chicks that people need to camp out on one? There's like 30 crazy chicks in my office right now. I'm just saying enjoy the ride the first time, but riding the rollercoaster repeatedly generally makes it boring and increases the chances of malfunctions and death.

You are sigworthy. Congrats.

When will rich white men get a break from reverse-sexism/racism/classism?

They've had it hard for so long. :csad:

So I talk about reverse sexism, and you think I'm talking about rich white guys? :huh:

There is no "Reverse Sexism".
It's still just "Sexism".
'Male' is a Sex.
'Female' is a sex.
Kyaleysin's sexism is not reversed.
It's a female sexist, meaning that she has sexist views toward males.

Do you understand?
Just like Black people who are prejudiced against White people are not "Reverse Racists".
They are "RACISTS", Mmmkay?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"