Sequels Isn’t it weird Cap hasn’t said “Avengers Assemble” yet?

I understood his point completely and mine still stands perfectly. Look back over my examples and instead of responding to just the one you think is easiest pick another. What about the helicarrier? It didn't have to fly, that's so stupidly unrealistic in our culture. How silly of them to include something so unnatural from the comics.

My point is that while they've obviously chosen not to include the Avengers Assemble phrase yet for some reason the previous poster's attempted explanation makes no sense.

You're also under exaggerating the significance of the phrase in the comics to support your point. It's "sometimes said in the comics"? Really? It's been the key phrase of the Avengers for about 50 years.

Not to mention both you and the previous poster are making an illogical claim about it supposedly being an awkward phrase. It's saying the team name and giving a verb command. It makes as much sense as if Cyclops had to yell "X-Men, attack!" or "X-Men, run!"

SPO2's attempted explanation makes zero sense.

I'm not sure why you're getting so worked up about this. If you don't buy into this explanation, that's cool, but you seem like you're really taking this one to heart...

For me, it's all about context. It could come off super cheesy if it isn't done right. I think the perfect spot would have been at the end of Age of Ultron, but they obviously copped out on that one.

No. Not in the cheesy way it's used in the comics -- the over dramatic all capitals -- followed by an exclamation point.

And if it's used in the nonchalant way it was about to be used in Ultron -- does that satisfy the people dying to hear it? I doubt it.

No better time than the climax of Avengers 4.

He's going to type it to the Avengers' Whatsapp group... So exciting!

No. Not in the cheesy way it's used in the comics -- the over dramatic all capitals -- followed by an exclamation point.

And if it's used in the nonchalant way it was about to be used in Ultron -- does that satisfy the people dying to hear it? I doubt it.

What's the difference between saying "Avengers assemble!" and other military chants like "hoorah!" for example? To answer: Nothing.
They are merely calls to action that motivate your teammates.

Steve saying it in "Avengers 4" seems unanimously a given, I think everybody's on board with that. I don't see how they go through "Avengers 4" without having it be said. I mean it just HAS to, right?

Now as far as context, I couldn't say. It feels like the right way to go is to motivate their last ditch assault against Thanos, since in "Infinity War" you see them attacking Thanos one by one in Wakanda...so at some point, perhaps 'Assemble' is the actual plan i.e. we're all attacking him at once from all sides and we're not going to let up until that Gauntlet's off or destroyed or whatever.

So maybe 'Avengers Assemble' becomes the mantra for future generations and rosters of the team after its use by the original members against Thanos, which becomes part of the team's lore going forward. That's just me speculating obviously, I have no idea why, when, where or how they'll use it.

Speaking of 'how' though...I think HOW Steve says it, or might say it, is more of a matter worth mentioning.

I, for one, would rather the line not be said in the loud, almost sing-song'y way, which you can see parodied here by Major Glory on "Dexter's Laboratory":

[YT]ej5kt6qSujI[/YT]

It doesn't need to be some broad, over the top version where Steve is screaming it like that. It can be audibly loud so that everyone on the team can hear it, but I'm thinking and I hope that it's based more off of Steve as military, shouting an order from the trenches kind of thing. Very real, very sincere and honest, if that makes sense.

Does that make sense? Like if they make it this almost lyrical gesture where it goes "Avengers ASSEEEEEEEMBLE!"...like in the same vein as "Let's get ready to RUMBLE!"...that to me would be more fan service-y number one and number two, it would feel hokey.

The line being used is already fan service, kind of...so that to me means that HOW it's delivered is going to matter and I think a very direct, no-nonsense delivery is what would work.

Last edited:
I understood his point completely and mine still stands perfectly. Look back over my examples and instead of responding to just the one you think is easiest pick another. What about the helicarrier? It didn't have to fly, that's so stupidly unrealistic in our culture. How silly of them to include something so unnatural from the comics.

The helicarrier is a great example of an item that didn't need any comic support in order to feel cool or appropriate. Is it really that outlandish? I guess... but easily explained through sci-fi, just like it could have been for any movie. The helicarrier is a much a easier sell than "Avengers Assemble."

You're also under exaggerating the significance of the phrase in the comics to support your point. It's "sometimes said in the comics"? Really? It's been the key phrase of the Avengers for about 50 years.

It's a silly line, man. It's an artifact of a time when the line felt more appropriate. It doesn't anymore. It's a weird sounding line... and it provides no real value to audiences... ONLY to fans. That's the point. That's not the same for the hellicarrer, or Loki's horns... those things can be easily explained, whether you know it from the comics or not. They aren't unnecessarily awkward.

Not to mention both you and the previous poster are making an illogical claim about it supposedly being an awkward phrase. It's saying the team name and giving a verb command. It makes as much sense as if Cyclops had to yell "X-Men, attack!" or "X-Men, run!"

SPO2's attempted explanation makes zero sense.

Huh? So, any noun and verb will do? Is that what you're saying? If cyclops said, "X-Men, coagulate!" then obviously that'd be awkward. "

Avengers Assemble" is nothing. It's not important at all. It's like putting up a fight that "I have got a bad feeling about this" needs to be in Rogue 1. Who cares.

So we got the line but I was a little underwhelmed with its delivery. This should have been the one cheesy comic book moment with Cap screaming it at the top of his lungs. Plus they were already assembled so what was the point hehe.
I mean, it could've gone either way... he could of yelled it, so everyone in his battle line could hear. That would have been cool. But the way he delivered it in the movie also was well served and it worked in the movie too.

The helicarrier is a great example of an item that didn't need any comic support in order to feel cool or appropriate. Is it really that outlandish? I guess... but easily explained through sci-fi, just like it could have been for any movie. The helicarrier is a much a easier sell than "Avengers Assemble."

It's a silly line, man. It's an artifact of a time when the line felt more appropriate. It doesn't anymore. It's a weird sounding line... and it provides no real value to audiences... ONLY to fans. That's the point. That's not the same for the hellicarrer, or Loki's horns... those things can be easily explained, whether you know it from the comics or not. They aren't unnecessarily awkward.

Huh? So, any noun and verb will do? Is that what you're saying? If cyclops said, "X-Men, coagulate!" then obviously that'd be awkward. "

Avengers Assemble" is nothing. It's not important at all. It's like putting up a fight that "I have got a bad feeling about this" needs to be in Rogue 1. Who cares.

I am overjoyed how completely and totally wrong you were about this.

It was used as an absolute epic moment in Endgame.

I am overjoyed how completely and totally wrong you were about this.

It was used as an absolute epic moment in Endgame.

I didn't particularly care for it, but I'm glad you guys got it!

I remember listening to a podcast review and the commentator saying a guy in his audience was almost crying "say, it, say it". It was the very definition of a fan service moment. "Assemble" not being a battle cry anywhere besides a comics franchise which likes repeat letter abbreviations like, PP, FF, JJ, or AA for Avengers Assemble

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
joelschmole
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"