It Starts: Bad news for Blu-Ray

LongDong said:
Obviously you know nothing about business and you are throwing numbers out that you probably read on some blog somewhere. Microsoft would not have had to spend BILLIONS of dollars to get this done. Do you understand how much even 1 million dollars is? AT MOST this would have cost them a few million. They do NOT need to pass this on to the consumer as they certainly did not pass on all of the cost of the XBOX OR the 360 to the consumer. MS as a whole is a VASTLY PROFITABLE business, and taking a loss on the 360 would have garnered them MORE support from the fan base. There are plenty of people sitting on the fence who have not purchased a 360 due to the limited library of games, however were it BC then they would have. I am one of those people. WHY buy a machine that plays next gen when the number of worthwhile next gen games is very low? However in order to have one or two next gen games I would have bought this machine if it played my old games.

They make a massive amount of profit off of other products to be able to absorb a slightly bigger loss on the 360. That would have been a smart move as they would sell more units and have a higher amount of these units in the consumers hands and homes. This will be a big factor in the PS3 Juggernaut being the number one system again (if they get it figured out which knowing Sony they probably will)

So what it would have cost Microsoft another 5 million (drop in the bucket to them especially when dividing it by the number of 360's sold and for sale) but it would also have help them sell more of these machines and give them a greater foothold for when the PS3 launches.

Stupid move MS, stupid move.

YOUR IGNORANCE IS ASTOUNDING. :dry:

Let's assume that the chipset would cost them $100. That's extremely cheap, even in bulk, but let's just assume that that is the cost. How many 360's does Microsoft intend to sell? 20 million? More? I would hope not, because that's a $2,000,000,000 loss right there. And the price won't necessarily go down with time, that was part of the reason Microsoft actually sued nVidia and went with ATI this time around, because of their refusal to lower costs (they weren't obligated by contract to do this and had no competitive incentive, so they didn't). But yeah, I'm sure I "obviously know nothing about business" and that I should listen to the guy that is honestly suggesting that Microsoft should throw away billions of dollars for no other reason than "they can". Roflcopter.

Yeah going with the chipset would have been a bad idea. Especially dealing with Nvidia.

THWIP* said:
NO, 'ZENIEN', I JUST HAD ABOUT 5 PHONECALLS IN A ROW. DON'T PRETEND TO UNDERSTAND ME......YOU'RE NOT EVEN IN MY LEAGUE.

Yeah, sure old man.
lol.gif

The Xbox division can't just piss money away, they have to show some fiscal responsibility, yes, that's what the 360 was designed around, actually turning a profit for them. But doubling the BC budget would have been next to nothing on the overall cost impact of the project, it's not like it would have made or broke them in terms of costs. And even this whole discussion is entirely seperate from your original statement.

CM Punk said:
Let's assume that the chipset would cost them $100. That's extremely cheap, even in bulk, but let's just assume that that is the cost. How many 360's does Microsoft intend to sell? 20 million? More? I would hope not, because that's a $2,000,000,000 loss right there. And the price won't necessarily go down with time, that was part of the reason Microsoft actually sued nVidia and went with ATI this time around, because of their refusal to lower costs (they weren't obligated by contract to do this and had no competitive incentive, so they didn't). But yeah, I'm sure I "obviously know nothing about business" and that I should listen to the guy that is honestly suggesting that Microsoft should throw away billions of dollars for no other reason than "they can". Roflcopter.

Again with the billions, and you are roflcoptor which answers every question about you and makes anything you say hardly worth the time it takes to read them.

Zenien said:
Point stands Microsoft didn't do everything in their power to enable BC.

ALL OF YOUR BULLS**T, SUMMED UP IN ONE TIRED STATEMENT.

THEY DID, 'ZENIEN'......AS MUCH AS WAS PRACTICAL AND LOGICAL.......AND I'VE COVERED THE HOW AND WHY OF IT TOO MUCH TO BOTHER WITH IT AGAIN. BUT GO AHEAD, IGNORE THE FACTS, SPEW YOUR FLUFF AND BULLS**T, AND PAT YOURSELF ON THE BACK FOR BEING AN IGNORANT TWIT.

ONE QUESTION: HOW MANY 'XBOX' GAMES DO YOU HAVE IN YOUR LIBRARY, AND HOW MANY DO YOU CURRENTLY PLAY?

LongDong said:
My ignorance? HAHAHAHAHAHA

Well spoken fanboy, well spoken

YES......YOUR IGNORANCE. AND ONLY THE TRULY IGNORANT, CAN LAUGH AT THEMSELVES, IN SPITE OF THAT INGORANCE.

THWIP* said:
ALL OF YOUR BULLS**T, SUMMED UP IN ONE TIRED STATEMENT.

THEY DID, 'ZENIEN'......AS MUCH AS WAS PRACTICAL AND LOGICAL.......AND I'VE COVERED THE HOW AND WHY OF IT TOO MUCH TO BOTHER WITH IT AGAIN. BUT GO AHEAD, IGNORE THE FACTS, SPEW YOUR FLUFF AND BULLS**T, AND PAT YOURSELF ON THE BACK FOR BEING AN IGNORANT TWIT.

ONE QUESTION: HOW MANY 'XBOX' GAMES DO YOU HAVE IN YOUR LIBRARY, AND HOW MANY DO YOU CURRENTLY PLAY?

Xbox games? 6

Currently Play? I played Halo 2 last week.Haven't replayed KoToR in a while, and I haven't touched Oblivion in months.

EDIT: I'll be getting Mass Effect series, Bioshock, Blue Dragon, and probably Lost Odessy.

Why do you ask?

LongDong said:
Again with the billions, and you are roflcoptor which answers every question about you and makes anything you say hardly worth the time it takes to read them.
I am roflcopter...and this answers your questions? Is that even english? And yes, again with the billions...that's called math. Take "100" and multiple it by "20 million", and you get a number in the "billions". That's how that whole "math" thing works. Pretty nifty, eh? Then again, I guess it only works to prove your point when you're not dealing with someone with the intelligence of a house pet, so I probably made a mistake in including it with my post.

DOA+ XBL Gold+ GMOD= happy happy joy joy.....so.......get working on that now.....:(

CM Punk said:
I am roflcopter...and this answers your questions? Is that even english? And yes, again with the billions...that's called math. Take "100" and multiple it by "20 million", and you get a number in the "billions". That's how that whole "math" thing works. Pretty nifty, eh? Then again, I guess it only works to prove your point when you're not dealing with someone with the intelligence of a house pet, so I probably made a mistake in including it with my post.

My user name was roflcopter :O

THWIP* said:
YES......YOUR IGNORANCE. AND ONLY THE TRULY IGNORANT, CAN LAUGH AT THEMSELVES, IN SPITE OF THAT INGORANCE.

Ummmm, I was actually laughing at you

CM Punk said:

As if you know what Microsofts rates on chips are. That puts you out of the argument dude. Unless you work for them you have no clue. Stop your speculations and come with hard numbers then you can join the party.

CM Punk said:
As a storage medium, storage capacity would be the most important thing, and that's an area where Blu-Ray has much more than a "slight" advantage. TDK has already produced a 200GB Blu-Ray sextuple layer disc. The biggest HD-DVD in existence is a triple layer 90GB disc. That's way more than "slight". Getting away from storage capacity, there's the Java support for Blu-Ray, which in the future could lead to some pretty cool stuff, and the "Durabis" coating which can actually take an attack from a screwdriver and iron wool without a problem, which are both big technological leaps over what HD-DVD offers. Blu-Ray, at least on paper, is better than HD-DVD. The problem is that they haven't managed to translate that "on paper" to "in real life" yet, and if things keep going the way they're going, they may never get the chance to.
The biggest HD-DVD is a 90 gig disk, and eventually as you mentioned Blu ray will get to a 200 gig disk. That's good, but what you fail to realize is these are not endpoints of the formats. Both can go further. How are you to know that HD cant match or eclipse blu ray's storage, or even the reverse. The technology for advancement is in both, it just so happens right now Blu Ray is ahead.

Blu ray has java support. That's good, but where is the implementation? HD-DVD's have what's called the "in-movie experience" which is like a running commentary/documentary that runs in the lower corner of the screen, synching with the film. It's been implemented in a whopping 4 movies. Both have exclusive technology that's being underused. Explain to me why Java support is such a tide-turning feature. Not discounting it at all, that could potentially be very good for making blu ray movies feel "different", but I highly doubt the format wars will be tipped because of it.

As far as the coating thing, again, not a tide-turning feature.

I was hoping you had some revolutionary info about hidden codec support that hasn't been mentioned yet, because as you've mentioned, Blu ray is definitely lagging behind. I can definitely say blu ray is lagging largely in part to the codecs (as well as the price. When a consumer looking at both in a best buy sees Full Metal Jacket on HD DVD for 7 bucks less than Blu-ray, which is he gonna pick?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"