• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

Superman Returns It's either the smartest or dumbest decision in movie remake history

SpandexFan said:
To use the same John Williams theme, Marlon Brandon cameos, to continue from the original movies storyline and background tidbits, to make a Clark Kent that is fairly faithful to the Christopher Reeve version of Clark Kent.....

Props to Bryan Singer, he is either a genius or an idiot for doing all of this.

The negatives.... it reminds the audience of Christopher Reeve who might have been one of the most perfect casting decisions in movie history, it's difficult to pull an audience in when they are forever reminded of past movies

The positives.... there are an entire generation of young dudes who associate X-Men and Spider-Man with comics more than they do any old DC character, you now have some of the best elements of the original Superman movies and maybe kids who don't associate those with the past but still recognize the brilliance

I think the end result is it will work. I have never been 100% behind this Superman sequel, but it's one thing to watch the trailer, and another the movie. I think the movie will have enough compelling moments to distract me from any of these distractions that are easy to think about in a 60 second trailer, but hard to dwell on when you are watching Superman with 2006 CGI and a talented director who knows how to make a compelling superhero flick.

:up:

Singer's approach can be likened to the proverbial double-edged sword: there will be people who will love this film for its close association with the Donner films, and for the exact same reason others will hate it.

we'll just have to see where the scales will tip at the end of the summer movie season.

venom420 said:
Superman isn't James Bond. That was a bad comparison.

No, even the writers used James Bond to explain the continuity issue in a recent interview that I quoted from. Each James Bond film has a certain mythology to them that the audience has to accept. You know certain things about him in every film, you know he was an orphan, you know he was married once, you know he has former russian enemies. From The Spy who Loved Me era films to Tommorrow Never Dies, there is an established loose continuity. But in the same breath, because you know who James Bond is, each film COULD stand on it's own after 40 years.

Thats where Superman and James Bond films fit in together. Your biased, so I can understand where you dont want this arguement to be valid, but thats how Dougherty and Harris explained it themselves, and it's fairly simple to understand.

Nivek said:
No, even the writers used James Bond to explain the continuity issue in a recent interview that I quoted from. Each James Bond film has a certain mythology to them that the audience has to accept. You know certain things about him in every film, you know he was an orphan, you know he was married once, you know he has former russian enemies. From The Spy who Loved Me era films to Tommorrow Never Dies, there is an established loose continuity. But in the same breath, because you know who James Bond is, each film COULD stand on it's own after 40 years.

Thats where Superman and James Bond films fit in together. Your biased, so I can understand where you dont want this arguement to be valid, but thats how Dougherty and Harris explained it themselves, and it's fairly simple to understand.

You are also a biased person.

venom420 said:

Well, isn't that special? :p

church_lady.jpg

You sure you ain't biased too? I'm sure we're all biased one way or the other. :yellow:

The thing that's being forgotten here is that Singer is using STM to tell HIS story (a return of Superman). He's using all the Donner material not only because he's a huge fan, but to also use as a comparison for his film.

Singer is NOT retelling the origin, nor is he exploring other kryptonians or supervillians. Instead, he has chosen to focus all his intention on Superman and his relationship with the people close to him (friend or enemy).

The people who are complaining that Singer is just rehashing old 70's characterisation, visuals and plots are missing the point. It shouldn't matter if Brando's Jor-El is returning (a deceased actor portraying a long-dead character in the film? Who on this Earth can compete with that???!!!)

So Williams music score is being reused? How many people complained when Batman Begins didn't use Elfman's theme, which was apparently justified by the fact it had nothing in common with Burton's movies? SR is connected with STM, so needs connections.

Who cares if Luthor will be the campy Lex from STM (even though evidence suggests he most certainly won't be)? The main characterisation of Luthor is a genius criminal who hates Superman. He's been a scientist, underground criminal / terrorist, businessman, celebrity, mad scientist (again), etc. The point is he's a smart HUMAN with a blatant disregard for humanity (the opposite of Superman).

Why does he have a clueless female companion? In the film, she will be a conduit for the audience, asking Lex the questions that we'll want answers to.

The fact is that by using so many references from STM, Singer is trying to show that while the story between good and evil never changes, the people involved do.

singer is bascially reintroducing the franchise to the new millenium. this movie does seem like a blatant remake of s:tm with lines verbatim from the original. it doesn't sound that bad, but i too would like a modernized superman movie. jj abrams came close but that wasn't superman.

how is this close to a remake? it's not telling the origin again, we get a few brief glimpses into young clark on the farm, sure, and that's all i can see that happens in this movie the same as superman: the movie, other than what? like, 2 or 3 lines that're copied from the first movie?

ooh! geez. this is nowhere near a remake.

Lack of creativity, Singer was tax out from X2 & X3 before he jump ship.

The whole concept of this film is choppy like my favorite Electronic Musicians and Hip-Hop producers Samples from everywhere.
Something new from something old.
Will it Fly?
10 more days! Can't wait.

venom420 said:

How in the hell am I a biased person in regards to what I explained to you? Is that your only retort? I'd like to hear an explanation relevent to this discussion too, dont make it personal.

i have no problem with them useing the donner films, alot of people associate superman mostly with them. while Singer could of went the Batman begins route, and focuse more on the charatcers comic book origins etc, he choose to use his best memory of superman. While i find it hard to beleive Lex could just walk into superman fortress, and steal Kryptoning technology, they have to find away fro Luthor to be a threat to superman remeber.

Mr. Credible said:
how is this close to a remake? it's not telling the origin again, we get a few brief glimpses into young clark on the farm, sure, and that's all i can see that happens in this movie the same as superman: the movie, other than what? like, 2 or 3 lines that're copied from the first movie?

ooh! geez. this is nowhere near a remake.

it is close. its retelling the superman mythos to a newer audience. the format is just like the original. he crashlands. goes back metropolis, stops luthor from doing some continental damage. i'm not saying that i hate that. i'm as excited to see this as the next fanboy. its like if someone who has faith in the movie says one quasi-negative thing about it everyone rips him/her a new one!! relax its just a movie. people can have their own opinions. this isn't nazi germany.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"