James Mangold's Untitled Dawn of the Jedi Movie

I am very intrigued by this movie. I hope it goes forward.

And I do wonder if this was in the works before Gunn approached Mangold for Swamp Thing. Will laugh if his plans for Swamp Thing gets delayed because of this.

And I do wonder if this was in the works before Gunn approached Mangold for Swamp Thing. Will laugh if his plans for Swamp Thing gets delayed because of this.

He confirmed himself today he is writing both films currently.

Star Wars: James Mangold Addresses the Origins of His New Movie

When speaking with ComicBook.com at Celebration about the origins of the idea, Mangold detailed, "It just came from me thinking about if I were doing one, it seemed to me that most of what they were thinking about doing with movies were either in the present of Star Wars or the future, and what attracted me most was the distant past and how this galaxy formed and how, more specifically, the Force was discovered."

Given the franchise's long legacy of compelling characters, fans are understandably curious about the type of figure that could be at the center of such a story, with Mangold confirming of such a role, "First you have to write the character and that's what I'm doing right now."

I wonder if this first Jedi will wield a lightsaber.

:o

In all seriousness, though, it could go either way which comes first, considering how much turmoil there’s been with the SW films post-IX and the fact that Swamp Thing seemed positioned somewhat down the line in terms of the plans Gunn laid out.

Last edited:
I am leaning toward this coming first, because Iger has been talking pretty seriously about getting Star Wars back into cinemas. And with the weakness of the MCU, seems likely These are the Iger approved ones.

I guess the question is how much did Kennedy talk to Mangold while he was working on Indy 5.

With all the announcements yesterday and the trailers I feel much more confident for the future of SW than for the future of the MCU.

Though I‘m hoping that Mangolds movie will be the first of a new trilogy, I hope that it’s written like their won’t be 2 more films to tell the entire story.

I'll be honest. My main interest in this is James Mangold. If it's a story he feels he has a good angle on, then I'm game. He's a great filmmaker.

But on paper...I don't know that I necessarily feel the need to see the story of the first Jedi and go back 25,000 years in the timeline. I'd be perfectly okay with that being left to our imaginations. Old Republic era seems to be where the juicy action is for ancient Jedi lore, I'm kinda surprised that they're still not really going there. Though I suppose this can all be a setup for a proper Old Republic Jedi vs. Sith type of movie.

I know there's potential for this to be great, especially if it's a passion project for Mangold, but I just can't say the idea alone gets me fired up, is all.

What if going back 25,000 years in the timeline is…2023

though this excites me the most, I fear it could be the one with smalles possibility of getting made. I mean, they even had a teaser for the Rogue Squadron movie from Patty Jenkins….

I mean, the Rogue Squadron teaser was just her walking in a flight museum. It will likley be Filoni, Rey, than this.

though this excites me the most, I fear it could be the one with smalles possibility of getting made. I mean, they even had a teaser for the Rogue Squadron movie from Patty Jenkins….
That was just a fancy 'announcement' and not a teaser.

Patty should go back to making horror-sleaze with punks and weirdos.

yeah, but they had so much confidence in the Rogue Squadron movie, to produce that fancy announcement.
Wouldn’t be the first SW movie with an critically acclaimed name attached to it, that got scrapped

What are the odds that the Rakatan Empire or the Zeffo are the main antagonists of this film?

Rumor has it, that Mangold will do this as his next project - not Swamp Thing.

I mean, I suspected. This was probably talked about during Indy 5 stuff, before Gunn was part of the equation.

Andor supremacy continues!

ffya.gif

Exciting stuff, but I still want Mangold to do Swamp Thing first.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"