James Wan to take on Stephhen King's The Tommyknockers

The book is terrible. The script needs to avoid taking too much from it.

Tommyknockers is the only Stephen King book I've ever read... it was long and meandering and it kinda made me not want to read anything else by him.

I like Wan, but man is The Tommyknockers not good. The made for TV mini-series is also hot garbage.

King himself has said it's an awful book, written at the height of his alcohol and drug-abuse. Personally I can't remember hating the book. But it's almost 30 years since I read it, and at that time I just devoured everything he wrote with an enthusiam you probably only can have when you're really young.

Tommyknockers is the only Stephen King book I've ever read... it was long and meandering and it kinda made me not want to read anything else by him.

Damn, that's a really bad place to start with King's work. As a King fan, I agree with others here (and the man himself) that The Tommyknockers isn't good and isn't a true reflection of his talent as a writer at all. If you're ever inclined to try again, I'd recommend starting with something like 'Salem's Lot or Pet Sematary. My favourite novels of his are IT and the Dark Tower books, but the former two are quintessential King novels and are better places to start with his extensive bibliography.

I'll be interested to see if Wan can make something good out of the less then stellar source material.

Start with Salems' Lot. That was the first one I read. I loved it. Still do. One of my favs.

Damn, that's a really bad place to start with King's work. As a King fan, I agree with others here (and the man himself) that The Tommyknockers isn't good and isn't a true reflection of his talent as a writer at all. If you're ever inclined to try again, I'd recommend starting with something like 'Salem's Lot or Pet Sematary. My favourite novels of his are IT and the Dark Tower books, but the former two are quintessential King novels and are better places to start with his extensive bibliography.
Start with Salems' Lot. That was the first one I read. I loved it. Still do. One of my favs.
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll keep them in mind the next time I visit a bookshop. I guess I can't just keep avoiding King's books for the rest of my life. :o

I love The Tommyknockers, but it remains to be seen how it will translate into a single film.

I still remember when the tv movie came out and SNL weekend update was like, this isn't the first movie Traci Lords has been in with the word knockers in the title. :hehe:

Of course they did.

For as much of a King fan as I am, I've never really felt drawn to this one at all.

But if anyone can turn that around, I imagine it's James Wan.

Who didn't see this coming after the success of IT. Whats next......The Langoliers.

Just finished the book. It's way, way, way too long. Peak King indulgent. However, I'm psyched for this movie. It's a book loaded with creepy (Altair-4, what's happening in the shed), bizarre (a killer soda machine) ideas that a guy like James Wan is going to crush. I can see a movie of this story having a real pace to it, quickly getting us into the various town folks whereas King takes endless digressions; hell, the whole novel is a series of digressions.

So they get Wan and Slater to polish a turd... Why?

Is the TV movie bad in a good way or just bad in a bad way. Cause it's all online but, you know, 3 hours watching it or spend 3 hours staring at the wall. Which do I choose?

[YT]-BvHG2q6PJk[/YT]

[YT]_D5W-vs579o[/YT]

It's bad in a bad way.

Just realised that Marg Helgenberger appeared in both Tommyknockers and the third season of Under the Dome which kinda had a Tommyknockers-vibe to it with the crap about the Kinship.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"