Jason Todd

steelio2006

Civilian
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I was wondering what it is bout Jason Todd that everyone hated. Like why was he such a bad character? And if u were given the option to write the character urself (when he was Robin), what would u do to improve him?

I liked him simply because of his death and his turn into a bad guy. I am not a robin fan though.

I like him as the Red Hood. I don't know how many people agree with me..

He was decent but I cared for him in A Death in the Family. I don't get how he became a villian though. I remember him saying something like "my death was all your fault Batman!" and I'm like:huh:

He was good from Under The Hood up until Countdown. So for about a year there, Jason Todd was awesome. Then they ruined him again.

And he didn't blame Batman for his death, he was incredibly pissed off that he never killed the Joker because of it. He did take a dip in a Lazarus pit, so logic wasnt his strong suit after he came back to life.

I loved the post-Crisis Jason Todd Robin. It made perfect sense that he would be full of anger and grief, and rebel constantly against Batman. A lot of that was used for Batman Forever. Robin is far more credible as a badass teenager than a chirpy 12 year old.

okay. so if u guys had the option of writing the character, u'd have him rebel a few times and have him be a badass. got it. thanks.

I once thought he should be set-up as a permanent rival entity to Batman with his own base, methods, followers, similar to Talia and the League. And I've always thought he'd be a good match to Poison Ivy too, not in a strictly romantic way but more as friends and allies. I'd have to see where the current stories finish up though who knows what will happen. The idea of him partnering with Damien is pretty cool.

When he was Robin...I wouldn't change a thing, except retroactively introduce some more adventures where he was actually useful and admirable as Robin, e.g. The Cult. There aren't enough notable Jason as Robin adventures where he is a) exhibiting some distinct character, b) shown as a force to be reckoned with and c) shown as a vulnerable young kid, and an essentially good kid, who needs saving from himself. They really only made him interesting in the year leading up to his death, particularly in the last few months

What he needs is a miniseries that adds new Robin adventures, fixes his return from the death (no more reality punch) and establishes a new direction as a top tier Batman rogue and occasional ally. Also since his return he's yet to interact with Drake or Grayson in a satisfying way, and there's so much you could do there, things that DON'T involve him turning into an octopus. Also it was SUPERMAN that convinced Batman not to hunt down the Joker, when Batman was positively murderous. Let's see Jason VS Superman, he is smart and angry enough to make a decent attack on him. Also Iran.

I loved the post-Crisis Jason Todd Robin. It made perfect sense that he would be full of anger and grief, and rebel constantly against Batman. A lot of that was used for Batman Forever. Robin is far more credible as a badass teenager than a chirpy 12 year old.

I totally agree with this =)

Jason Todd was my favorite Robin, I loved his edge and felt he had alot more stories left in him, GREAT STORIES, if he had not been killed off.

okay thanks. this helps me with my project i'm workin on.

I bet you would cheer at the death of a child :csad:. you need to heal the blackness in your heart

I like children...not when they are fighting crime....

you don't like Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys, Tintin, Magnificent Five or the Scooby Doo gang. massive fail! :whatever: :cwink:

actually you pretty much hit a bunch of things I don't like.

Hey everyone, I was wondering what it is bout Jason Todd that everyone hated. Like why was he such a bad character? And if u were given the option to write the character urself (when he was Robin), what would u do to improve him?

I liked Jason for the simple reason that I hated him. Characters don't have to be ones that you love they can be ones that you hate (Jean-Paul Valley, Stephanie Brown, etc..)

I wouldn't have written him any differently because I think that the way he upset me so much was the best thing about him.

exactly. tho Jean-Paul is def. not a char. i'm a big fan of. didn't know much bout him besides what i learned from the Knightfall tpbs.

I think the fans hated Jason Todd going back to pre-crisis in which his origin was almost the same as Dick Grayson's, plus Jason was originally had blonde hair which for whatever reason as he took over Robin had to dye his hair black because the blonde hair would already look fruity with Robin's colors.

With the Crisis series Jason's origin had a complete overhaul making him more of a reckless punk that gets caught stealing the Batmobiles wheels.

But I think it depended on which writer was on at the time that they never really took to Jason Todd.

Jason is a fantastic character. I loved how he was written in Winnick's Batman run. Sadly, only Winnick and Geoff Johns have demonstrated the ability to handle him competently--he has been mishandled by everyone else. The worst example is Countdown.

What I loved most of all in Winnick's run was that Jason became a force to be reckoned with. He's always been considered a second-rater--as Robin, as a character, and in terms of skills; even Batman has said Jason just wasn't that good at the job. But Jason put his mind to it, followed the steps Bruce took to become Batman, and he came out the other end as a guy who could, in fact, go toe-to-toe with Batman. Who could one-up Batman, who could evade Batman--somebody Batman could not stop.

As we saw when Jason kidnapped the Joker and confronted Batman, it's anger and sorrow that are causing him to act out violently, and I think the next logical step is for him to confront that, and figure out what sort of person he really wants to be.

i'm actually surprised to see some people actually givin Jason some love on here. i always thought that he's been hated so much by the fans, the only thing i knew bout him was that ppl voted to kill him off back in the 80s. so it's kinda cool to see some ppl givin Jason some love.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"