The Rise of Skywalker JJ Abrams is Writing and Directing Episode IX

Eh, worse case scenario, we get the SUPER, MEGA Star Destroyer...

I think the story of IX will depend more on VIII then I think any of us realize. I am not sure what state Rian is going to leave the Galaxy in. That excites me.

PHP:
I think the story of IX will depend more on VIII then I think any of us realize. I am not sure what state Rian is going to leave the Galaxy in. That excites me.

It excites me as well. And yeah I don't think some people realize that things could be very different by the end of TLJ.

I don't mind studios and directors being secretive about highly anticipated films, but J.J. is like super paranoid.
Do you mean spoilers? Well, yeah. I don't mind trailers without a lack of context. I prefer them really.

My only concern about JJ is whether he had to be talked into coming back.

Probably was shown the cut of the movie they have so far.

And they offered him a lot of money according to Hollywood Reporter.

My only concern about JJ is whether he had to be talked into coming back.
Well he said he regretted not doing 8. I doubt they had to ask too hard.

And they offered him a lot of money according to Hollywood Reporter.

Abrams got paid $10M + a box office percentage for TFA, due to his track record with his ST films. He's probably getting a Nolan sized payday for Episode IX -- likely $20M against 20% of the box office grosses.

Whats the point of any weapon of mass destruction? They are weapons of mass destruction, can defend, can intimidate etc. For megalomaniacs like Palpatine, Tarkin, Krennic, Hux, Snoke etc a weapon like that is irresistible.
Might as well destroy the whole galaxy they want to conquer while they're at it.

Had a night to sleep on it.

If Rian Johnson didn't want to do it, then he shouldn't do it. That's simple enough. And given the recent examples of director shuffling over at LucasFilm, I can appreciate Kennedy's desire to bring in someone who is dependable and has proven that they can deliver. I've personally cooled on TFA on repeat viewings, but its still a competently made film and I can understand the logic of bringing Abrams back.

So yeah. It's fine. Not ideal, but by no means a worse-case scenario.

Personally, my biggest issue with The Force Awakens and therefore, the sequel trilogy as a whole, was that it didn't give us scenes or even a moment between Han, Luke and Leia as a group.

I get it:

- It's not their story anymore.
- Luke Skywalker is missing is a somewhat interesting hook.
- The loss of Han can propel both Rey and Luke's story forward

But still, it takes something away from the sequel trilogy for me, no matter how silly that may seem.

Abrams made some weird choices and no doubt he'll do the same for Episode IX. I imagine he wouldn't even let Johnson advise him.

Did he? Well, I imagine if he turned that down, but came back for IX, he's either getting a very nice paycheck or presumably has a good story in mind to be convinced to return.

Had a night to sleep on it.

If Rian Johnson didn't want to do it, then he shouldn't do it. That's simple enough. And given the recent examples of director shuffling over at LucasFilm, I can appreciate Kennedy's desire to bring in someone who is dependable and has proven that they can deliver. I've personally cooled on TFA on repeat viewings, but its still a competently made film and I can understand the logic of bringing Abrams back.

So yeah. It's fine. Not ideal, but by no means a worse-case scenario.

And its also a nice upgrade over Trevorrow.

I'm not convinced it would have been an easy decision for him to make this late in the game one way or another. I do think the date change would have been the key factor in getting JJ back, if Lucasfilm were adamant about May being the deadline I seriously doubt he would have accepted the job.

I'm glad the film got bumped back to December.

I'm curious why they chose JJ over Rian though. Not that I'm complaining, I love what JJ did with TFA even if it wasn't so original.

Maybe it was the porgs. :o

From the outside, it looks like Lucasfilm has had difficulty with getting their storytellers on the same page with the studio. Abrams never had that problem. He seems to know their vision well, and they seem able to trust him with it. It feels like a safe, maybe even overly cautious choice on their part. JJ is a competent dude though, so I hope it works out.

Wow, with this release date WW2 is f***ed :funny: I assume they will push that film to spring / summer 2020.

Watching Collider and reading through the internet makes me wonder, where does this idea of JJ being a terrible closer come from? Are we basing that on TV shows that he wasn't even involved in past the early stages because that seems really silly. That's like saying David Fincher can't close as a director because u don't like where House of Cards is heading.

Personally, my biggest issue with The Force Awakens and therefore, the sequel trilogy as a whole, was that it didn't give us scenes or even a moment between Han, Luke and Leia as a group.

I get it:

- It's not their story anymore.
- Luke Skywalker is missing is a somewhat interesting hook.
- The loss of Han can propel both Rey and Luke's story forward

But still, it takes something away from the sequel trilogy for me, no matter how silly that may seem.

Abrams made some weird choices and no doubt he'll do the same for Episode IX. I imagine he wouldn't even let Johnson advise him.

It does sting, but I thought it was very ballsy of them to withhold Luke the way they did. Probably the bravest story decision they made other than killing Han, though that felt inevitable. There's a tragedy in not seeing the big three together on screen again, but it feels closer to reality in a way. Things fall apart, people lose touch. For as much egregious fan service as there was I'm glad there was restraint there. And it allowed for the new characters to take the reigns as well as create a fascinating Macguffin out of Luke himself, which is still carrying over into VIII.

I'm glad the film got bumped back to December.

I'm curious why they chose JJ over Rian though. Not that I'm complaining, I love what JJ did with TFA even if it wasn't so original.

Maybe it was the porgs. :o

From what I've read, they did offer Rian the opportunity to come back for IX first, but he turned it down.

Watching Collider and reading through the internet makes me wonder, where does this idea of JJ being a terrible closer come from? Are we basing that on TV shows that he wasn't even involved in past the early stages because that seems really silly. That's like saying David Fincher can't close as a director because u don't like where House of Cards is heading.
Stupidity of a nebulous nature from online hacks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"