JJ Abrams' Time-Travel Adventure with Timothee Chalamet | "Inspired" by Back to the Future

FilmNerdJamie

Obtainer of wrong opinions!
Reaction score
A dubious source, I'll admit as Giant Freakin Robot is one of the single worst outlets for "scoops" - get waaaaaay more wrong than right.

But then again... knowing Abrams... this project sounds plausible as all Hell.

Now DanielRPK - who also gets waaaaaay more wrong than right - has stolen it and claimed it as his own scoop. Like he typically does.

But again... at face value... I buy this being real.

I’m going to need JJ to actually do something original for once instead of just ripping off… I mean being “influenced” by movies he watched as a kid.

Sad how a decade ago Abrams was one of the hottest directors and producers out there, but now the main reaction that I’ve seen most places to the possibility of him directing an original movie is ‘meh whatever’. Even if yes it’s “influenced” by an old movie which really could mean anything.

I mean I kinda get it, I’m not his biggest fan either but still it’s a little sad.

Sad how a decade ago Abrams was one of the hottest directors and producers out there, but now the main reaction that I’ve seen most places to the possibility of him directing an original movie is ‘meh whatever’. Even if yes it’s “influenced” by an old movie which really could mean anything.

I mean I kinda get it, I’m not his biggest fan either but still it’s a little sad.
I really thing JJ unfairly got a bad rap over the Rise of Skywalker situation. That was clearly a no-win scenario, namely with the rushed production time and the death of Carrie Fisher hampering things. What they would've done with Leia was gonna upset people no matter what. Kill her off between movies? Would've been yet another example of that and left a hole in the story. Re-cast the character? Nobody would've accepted whoever they got and the Fandom Menace would've CRUCIFIED JJ over it. Damned if you do, damned if you don't. The only thing I'll say Abrams fumbled the ball on was getting Chris Terrio to co-write. We all knew by this point Terrio sucked with franchise work. Why not just beg Lawrence Kasdan to come back?

Regardless, I will say story-wise we got the better deal compared to that god-awful Dual of the Fates script (really don't get why people defend that; feels like it's only because of that "stormtrooper uprising" subplot). 1. I actually think the return of Palpatine makes sense as Snoke acted exactly like Palpatine and harkens back to him pulling similar stuff with clone bodies in Dark Empire. and 2. I actually called Rey taking the Skywalker name as her last name right after TLJ ended. Disagree with me all you want but IMO Rise of Skywalker is not the worst Star Wars movie, not even close. The Clone Wars movie takes that cake (pandering hard to kids, Ahsoka being written with the stupid "spunky kid" trope from the 90s despite it being long dead by then, the stupid and pointless "Jabba's son" plot).

A dubious source, I'll admit as Giant Freakin Robot is one of the single worst outlets for "scoops" - get waaaaaay more wrong than right.

But then again... knowing Abrams... this project sounds plausible as all Hell.

Now DanielRPK - who also gets waaaaaay more wrong than right - has stolen it and claimed it as his own scoop. Like he typically does.

But again... at face value... I buy this being real.

Wait until they get Tom Holland to do the official remake. :o

Back to the Future is my favorite film and literally the only franchise of my childhood that hasn't been tainted.

God bless the creators for being smart enough to retain the sequel rights and block any attempt at another film.

Uh, what are you talking about? Palpatine's return makes no sense whatsoever.
Yes it does. We know from the prequels and Clone Wars that he's a long-term schemer (Maul implied he knew of the CW plan as far back as 10 years earlier during the Phantom Menace's events) AND he pulled the same clone bodies thing in the original EU with the Dark Empire trilogy. Except here it's just one proper clplone body and meat puppets to pose as "Supreme Leader Snoke". Plus, go back to how Snoke acted. It was suspiciously like Palpatine.

And of course RDJ is gonna play Doc Brown. :o
26ByxcotAtZ6qGebuo8SR4-1200-80.jpg

Back to the Future is my favorite film and literally the only franchise of my childhood that hasn't been tainted.

God bless the creators for being smart enough to retain the sequel rights and block any attempt at another film.
Well until they're dead. :o

Abrams -- in my opinion the least interesting of the well known directors.

He's good at getting good looking people to appear emotional.

Yes it does. We know from the prequels and Clone Wars that he's a long-term schemer (Maul implied he knew of the CW plan as far back as 10 years earlier during the Phantom Menace's events) AND he pulled the same clone bodies thing in the original EU with the Dark Empire trilogy. Except here it's just one proper clplone body and meat puppets to pose as "Supreme Leader Snoke". Plus, go back to how Snoke acted. It was suspiciously like Palpatine.
Palpatine was brought back not with any storytelling potential in mind, but to poorly rectify the reception of TLJ and for nostalgia brownies, that is not up to debate. His return also severely undermines Anakin's redemption and the whole point of the original trilogy.

:barf:

Palpatine was brought back not with any storytelling potential in mind, but to poorly rectify the reception of TLJ and for nostalgia brownies, that is not up to debate. His return also severely undermines Anakin's redemption and the whole point of the original trilogy.
And yet y'all never said that last thing when Dark Empire did the exact same ****. Not hearing the responses to that. If Dark Empire got such an equal backlash and comments like that maybe I'd believe you. Vader's redemption wasn't about killing The Senate. It was about saving his son. Which is what he did. Nothing to "undermine".

But no, I DO think Rey was always gonna be related to somebody. That lightsaber didn't give Force visions to just anybody. I'm just glad they didn't go the obvious route and made her Luke's kid. I'm sick and tired of people saying TLJ got retconned. It really didn't. Plus, it's been confirmed that Palpatine's return was set by JJ and KK even just before TLJ came out. So, no, "fan responses" had nothing to do with it.

Also, again, I read the Dual of the Fates script. We were spared a trainwreck. Colin Trevorrow's reasoning how Ben knew about Rey's parents was that HE killed them? Bull****. And then Ben's the villain the whole story but is somehow randomly redeemed at the end anyway without actually deserving or earning it?

Yeah no, we got the better of both worlds in comparison.

My guy, I ain't gonna waste my breath on this tired argument in an entirely unrelated thread. Believe what you want to believe. 🤷‍♂️

And yet y'all never said that last thing when Dark Empire did the exact same ****. Not hearing the responses to that. If Dark Empire got such an equal backlash and comments like that maybe I'd believe you. Vader's redemption wasn't about killing The Senate. It was about saving his son. Which is what he did. Nothing to "undermine".

But no, I DO think Rey was always gonna be related to somebody. That lightsaber didn't give Force visions to just anybody. I'm just glad they didn't go the obvious route and made her Luke's kid. I'm sick and tired of people saying TLJ got retconned. It really didn't. Plus, it's been confirmed that Palpatine's return was set by JJ and KK even just before TLJ came out. So, no, "fan responses" had nothing to do with it.

Also, again, I read the Dual of the Fates script. We were spared a trainwreck. Colin Trevorrow's reasoning how Ben knew about Rey's parents was that HE killed them? Bull****. And then Ben's the villain the whole story but is somehow randomly redeemed at the end anyway without actually deserving or earning it?

Yeah no, we got the better of both worlds in comparison.
Alright we have a Star Wars film section and threads for Rise of Skywalker for this debate and an Expanded Universe section for everything pre-Disney. Let's get back to JJ and his not Back to the Future movie.

Alright we have a Star Wars film section and threads for Rise of Skywalker for this debate and an Expanded Universe section for everything pre-Disney. Let's get back to JJ and his not Back to the Future movie.
Agreed

I will say, despite how much of an unsubtle homage it is to Spielberg, I have always enjoyed it (minus the third act).

Super 8 is an underrated movie. It walked so Stranger Things could run.
I remember people giving it and Stranger Things credit for potentially reigniting the group of diverse kids adventure genre. I want another Goonies and ET minus the racism.

I remember people giving it and Stranger Things credit for potentially reigniting the group of diverse kids adventure genre. I want another Goonies and ET minus the racism.
If there was any racism in E.T., Spielberg scrubbed it out when he replaced the cops' guns with walkie talkies 20 years ago. :o

If there was any racism in E.T., Spielberg scrubbed it out when he replaced the cops' guns with walkie talkies 20 years ago. :o
I'm sure Twitter can find it. :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"